2023 Astros - Defending WS Champs

Lance hasent been the same since the injury in the 21 playoffs. This might be a blessing in disguise. Hunter Brown breakout year.

looking forward to seeing how our centerfield will line up. Chas and Jake. also saw Dana Brown talking about Drew Gilbert.

Seattle will be a team to watch in the AL. They are better then the Yankees

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bobcat1 said:

Lost in the 9th - 3-2.  

Good news is that Altuve should be back sooner than originally projected. He'll get a smaller cast today and could return as soon as May.

New rules sure do speed up the game. Not sure if I'm a fan of them or not. But like one big leaguer said, we're making millions to play a kids game and just have to get used to it.

I did notice that Valdez seemed to get frustrated when he needed a lil extra time to get ready to make a pitch. The problem I see with the pitch timer, is that the catcher has to be in position by certain time, the batter has to be in position by different time, and then the pitcher must start the delivery by another time. If for any reason one of those doesn't make it in time, it's a violation. Why have different times for each when the timer is still going. IMO, it should be more like play/shot clock in other sports. How bout if a play doesn't start within the given time, penalize the team responsible. Have a set time to start the pitch. And everyone be ready by that time.

Think it's stupid to have 8 secs left on the clock and say, batter wasn't in the box... Strike 3!!!

2 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Good news is that Altuve should be back sooner than originally projected. He'll get a smaller cast today and could return as soon as May.

New rules sure do speed up the game. Not sure if I'm a fan of them or not. But like one big leaguer said, we're making millions to play a kids game and just have to get used to it.

I did notice that Valdez seemed to get frustrated when he needed a lil extra time to get ready to make a pitch. The problem I see with the pitch timer, is that the catcher has to be in position by certain time, the batter has to be in position by different time, and then the pitcher must start the delivery by another time. If for any reason one of those doesn't make it in time, it's a violation. Why have different times for each when the timer is still going. IMO, it should be more like play/shot clock in other sports. How bout if a play doesn't start within the given time, penalize the team responsible. Have a set time to start the pitch. And everyone be ready by that time.

Think it's stupid to have 8 secs left on the clock and say, batter wasn't in the box... Strike 3!!! The reason for the 8 seconds on the batter is so he doesn’t stay out of the box till the last second and does not give the pitcher time to deliver a pitch before the clock expires. I think all the rule changes suck. Why speed up the game. I pay a hell of a lot of money to go watch a professional game. I want to be there a while. I’m not there to see an express version of the game. If your going to speed up the game…..lower prices from ticket sales to concessions.

56 minutes ago, Coach85 said:

The reason for the 8 seconds on the batter is so he doesn’t stay out of the box till the last second and does not give the pitcher time to deliver a pitch before the clock expires

I know the reasoning. But if he wants to lollygag and not get into the box until 1 second left, that's his choice. And not a very smart one considering by then the pitcher will be starting the wind up.

Another one I saw was Colin McHugh took to much time during his warm up pitches. Automatic ball 1. He was unaware then walked the batter. 

And then another where a fielder wasn't in position after a long run for a foul ball. Ridiculous 

On 3/31/2023 at 8:51 AM, WOSdrummer99 said:

Think it's stupid to have 8 secs left on the clock and say, batter wasn't in the box... Strike 3!!!

He’s definitely the spark plug of this team. Even if he is in a slump, his presence on the field makes the team better. 

Injury updates...

Michael Brantley is continuing to rehab in Florida after flying to West Palm Beach on April 2, and the team is hopeful to have him back in the lineup by the end of April.

Astros are hoping to have McCullers back in the starting rotation by mid-May.

Jose Altuve is expecting to be back with the team in June.

1 hour ago, rupert3 said:

Astros lose again today hope this is their yearly early slump

Lost 5 of the last 6. 4th place in AL West with a 3-6 record.

Rule changes haven't been good this season for Garcia. After 2 starts, he’s got a 7.00 ERA from 13 hits, 7 earned runs, 5 walks, and only 8 Ks over 9 innings.

3 hours ago, baddog said:

Still early. Only 2 games out. Going to next Saturday’s game. Section 118, Row 21, Seats 9-10. Best seats I’ve ever had. Just out of camera view when pitching.

This is the hidden content, please

Nice. I prefer the club level. It's not near as many people to fight in line at the bar. Plus there's an outdoor area for those of us who like to take an early 7th inn stretch.

Hunter Brown gets the W today to avoid the sweep to the Twins

2 hours ago, baddog said:

Astros finally win a series and are 1 game under .500. Brown will be pitching for my Saturday game. Looking for a sweep of the Rangers.

I can watch when they play the Rangers on Bally's. Who is currently in some sort of bankruptcy mess. This has led some teams to have to buy back their own broadcast rights. MLB owners voted in the off season to allow teams to stream their games starting next season. But until then, there are other ways to watch any and every team live. PM me if you need the link to watch MLB games. 

16 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

I can watch when they play the Rangers on Bally's. Who is currently in some sort of bankruptcy mess. This has led some teams to have to buy back their own broadcast rights. MLB owners voted in the off season to allow teams to stream their games starting next season. But until then, there are other ways to watch any and every team live. PM me if you need the link to watch MLB games. 

Thanks, we try to watch as many Astros games as possible. Not really into watching all teams. If I liked the Red Sox/Yankees matchups, espn carries them all, it seems. We really enjoy the experience of going to Minute Maid Park…..win or lose, we have a good time.

3 hours ago, baddog said:

Well, there went my sweep.

Jon Gray will start for the Rangers, coming into the tilt with a record of 1-0 with a 3.00 ERA. Significantly, he lasted 5 2/3 innings in his last start, allowing two earned runs on six hits, including a home run. Gray is 1-2 with a 3.00 ERA in four career starts against the Astros. Meanwhile, rookie Hunter Brown gets the start for the Astros, coming into this game with a record of 1-0 with a 3.09 ERA. He tossed seven innings in his last outing, allowing one earned run on two hits with seven strikeouts. Likewise, he has one career start against the Rangers on September 5, 2022, throwing six shutout innings while allowing just three hits and striking out five.