Lamar Baseball 2023

snakehead26

4 hours ago, Coach 01 said:

With the amount of games that these teams play, they are going to blow some saves and have bad outings. No baseball is immune from a "choke job". The pitching staff has been the strongest aspect of their team all year. If there is any gripe to be had its with the offense being at the bottom of Division 1 at scoring runs. For a Pitching Coach that does a terrible job and needs to be fired, Lamar has pitched really well this season.

Thank you - expecting a bunch of 19-22 year olds at the low-D1 level to consistently play perfect baseball over the course of 50+ games is asinine. 

2 hours ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

New info.  Got this directly from an athletics employee at an SLC school.  The format is 7 teams, but no bye.  6 and 7 face off in a play in game then it becomes a 6 team double loss elimination set up. Makes for a strange bracket as a winner and loser will face off on day 2.  This sets up a situation of 2 different brackets possibilities for the remainder of the tournament based on the outcome of that game (4 or 5 teams remaining).  When Lamar was a Sunbelt school this 6 team format was used at least a few times. 

Yes, so many formats used and they seem to change every year. Just have to try to put ourselves in the best position come tournament time and try to have momentum into the end of the season.

All the conference series you either get 3 at home or 3 on the road and looks for now the toughest teams we are getting on the road.

Lot of interesting non conference games remaining on the schedule as well.

3 hours ago, snakehead26 said:

Yes, so many formats used and they seem to change every year. Just have to try to put ourselves in the best position come tournament time and try to have momentum into the end of the season.

All the conference series you either get 3 at home or 3 on the road and looks for now the toughest teams we are getting on the road.

Lot of interesting non conference games remaining on the schedule as well.

Formats are ever changing.  Really liked what the SLC did last year.  Quite sure you know but in case others don't and read this. The #1 and #2 seeds each hosted a 4 team double loss tournament and the winners faced off the following weekend at the highest reaming seeds home for a best of 3. Made it to game 1 of the final series and the McNeese crowd filled their stadium quite nicely.  That format is "dead" for a while for sure with McNeese holding hosting rights through I believe 2026. 

Well the Cards did not play well today. The poster that said that it is asinine to expect 19-22 year olds to consistently win has low expectations I tell you what is asinine in my opinion is to pitch a guy in a conference game that has an ERA of 13.50. That wonderful Lamar ERA you mentioned, doesn’t look to wonderful to me. In my opinion it was a horrible coaching mistake. The result was not good.

The news worse than that is that they play the 4 worst conference teams at home and the top 4 on the road and the way they have played the past 5 of 6 games is not good.  They could start conference 1-2 at home the way they are playing now.

Yes you are correct in stating their hitting is lousy now as well.  As I have mentioned several times Davis can’t get the job done

25 minutes ago, spidersal said:

Well the Cards did not play well today. The poster that said that it is asinine to expect 19-22 year olds to consistently win has low expectations I tell you what is asinine in my opinion is to pitch a guy in a conference game that has an ERA of 13.50. That wonderful Lamar ERA you mentioned, doesn’t look to wonderful to me. In my opinion it was a horrible coaching mistake. The result was not good.

The news worse than that is that they play the 4 worst conference teams at home and the top 4 on the road and the way they have played the past 5 of 6 games is not good.  They could start conference 1-2 at home the way they are playing now.

Yes you are correct in stating their hitting is lousy now as well.  As I have mentioned several times Davis can’t get the job done

3 paragraph post for a 5-2 loss, and only 2 sentences for a 4-2 win the day before. Nobody hates like you. 

I do not like losses, especially to weak teams (New Orleans, St Louis, Penn) , I do not like poor play, and certainly I do not like poor coaching (especially on a hire that should never have happened)

In my opinion, your comments suggest that you are either one of the coaches, or maybe you do not care if they win or lose

My comments are usually positive if they win and negative if they get beat by teams that they should beat, as the 3 mentioned above

21 minutes ago, spidersal said:

I do not like losses, especially to weak teams (New Orleans, St Louis, Penn) , I do not like poor play, and certainly I do not like poor coaching (especially on a hire that should never have happened)

In my opinion, your comments suggest that you are either one of the coaches, or maybe you do not care if they win or lose

My comments are usually positive if they win and negative if they get beat by teams that they should beat, as the 3 mentioned above

I’m just an accountant that has reasonable expectations for Lamar athletics. Their wins make me happy, but unlike you, I don’t let their losses completely eat me up to the point that I need to post dissertations on a message board. 

Nice win for Lamar. Scored well, but must start hitting better to continue to win. Cleveland came on and did a nice job on the mound.  They do have a few relievers that are struggling on the mound. They will have to get that fixed if they want to continue winning.  A nice start to conference with a 2-1 record.  They still have to play the top 4 in conference with the majority of those being on the road and for some reason they never play well vs A&M CC.  Hopefully they will continue to win conference series

Kreuzer and Tauzin threw a combined 2 innings last night. Quite sure both are available today.  Look for baseball to be unpredictable as baseball is prone to be.   

Would be nice to see a few bats to get hot and then remain consistent producers.   8 strikeouts last night in 67 at bats.  So, they were putting ball in play.  Missed last night's game and have no idea if it was a bunch of soft contact or what, but do need more production.