Lamar Baseball 2023

snakehead26

Lamar started nicely at 9-0. Now they have lost 6 of the last 10. I can certainly understand the losses to LSU and Missouri, but the 2 losses to an average Penn team at home and now 2 chokes vs St Louis, a team that is worse than most of the Southland conference teams is not very good baseball. I do not know who coaches the pitching staff, but they are doing an extremely poor job. Unless they change things in a hurry, they may not make the conference tournament Hopefully they will improve quickly

10 minutes ago, Coach 01 said:

Lamar is currently ranked 15th out of 289 teams in Team ERA and 15th out of 289 in hits/9 innings. Pretty impressive. 

This is the hidden content, please

180th in Team Batting Average and 216th in Scoring.

Pitching does not seem to be the problem.

@spidersal would suggest they should be top 5 in those categories.

50 minutes ago, spidersal said:

I do not care about ERA. I care about wins. Missouri 10 runs with 6 HR’s, 7-3 9th inning choke vs St Louis, followed by a 1st and 10 th inning choke. I would say the past 3 games have had poor pitching by the Cards

Lamar would make it to Omaha every summer if they'd just pony up enough cash to hire you to run the program.

On 3/18/2023 at 8:27 PM, spidersal said:

Lamar started nicely at 9-0. Now they have lost 6 of the last 10. I can certainly understand the losses to LSU and Missouri, but the 2 losses to an average Penn team at home and now 2 chokes vs St Louis, a team that is worse than most of the Southland conference teams is not very good baseball. I do not know who coaches the pitching staff, but they are doing an extremely poor job. Unless they change things in a hurry, they may not make the conference tournament Hopefully they will improve quickly

The tournament, according to the SLC website, will take 7 teams.  Quite sure LU will be in the top 7 out of 9. 

22 hours ago, spidersal said:

I do not care about ERA. I care about wins. Missouri 10 runs with 6 HR’s, 7-3 9th inning choke vs St Louis, followed by a 1st and 10 th inning choke. I would say the past 3 games have had poor pitching by the Cards

With the amount of games that these teams play, they are going to blow some saves and have bad outings. No baseball is immune from a "choke job". The pitching staff has been the strongest aspect of their team all year. If there is any gripe to be had its with the offense being at the bottom of Division 1 at scoring runs. For a Pitching Coach that does a terrible job and needs to be fired, Lamar has pitched really well this season.

New info.  Got this directly from an athletics employee at an SLC school.  The format is 7 teams, but no bye.  6 and 7 face off in a play in game then it becomes a 6 team double loss elimination set up. Makes for a strange bracket as a winner and loser will face off on day 2.  This sets up a situation of 2 different brackets possibilities for the remainder of the tournament based on the outcome of that game (4 or 5 teams remaining).  When Lamar was a Sunbelt school this 6 team format was used at least a few times.