5 Memphis police officers charged with murder….

tvc184

The video to this one is sickening.  I'm very much pro-cop, and I think in a lot of the cases that cause outrage/protests/etc., there's a lot of gray area in what happened, or at least a mistake was made and common sense is enough to understand how it happened.  This is the exact opposite.  The officers did everything wrong from just about the very beginning in this case, and then beat poor kid to death when they should've been able to overpower him and get him cuffed without any blows being thrown.  

On 1/29/2023 at 11:48 AM, tvc184 said:

3. There is always more to the story because the story is not public. The more in this case obviously doesn’t justify the response.

Here is what I can't make sense with. 

What caused so much anger that they ALL went stupid during the entire encounter.  Surely one of those guys are selfish enough to think we have body cams on, there is street surveillance, and we are holding this guy up and throwing punches, beating the crap out of him, maybe we should stop to save our own butt.  Yet, not one did.........   That makes ZERO sense to me

3 hours ago, Bobcat1 said:

I just read there was a sixth person removed from duty. 

Yeah the other officer that was there that said on body cam he hoped that they stomped the guy. I just read from Jordan James who is with WREG that a 7th officer was relieved of duty. 

Also 2 EMTs and a LT with the fire department has been fired. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Yeah the other officer that was there that said on body cam he hoped that they stomped the guy. I just read from Jordan James who is with WREG that a 7th officer was relieved of duty. 

Also 2 EMTs and a LT with the fire department has been fired. 

imo, anyone & everyone regardless of what dept.( fire,emt, cops, etc )that was present and watched it take place without  some type of intervention should be fired.

The latest that I read (from a dubious source) is that the kid worked at FedEx… and one of the cop’s ex lady also worked at FedEx and had a thing going with the victim. The story is that it was  set up to beat the guy up (hence not asking for license/registration (since they already knew who the victim was). The real kicker is that supposedly the cop (ex bf) took a photo of the victim and sent it to his ex gf… if that’s true, it certainly changes things. 

Don’t take it as gospel, it’s just what I read. It’ll be interesting to see if that story pans out. 

6 hours ago, thetragichippy said:

Here is what I can't make sense with. 

What caused so much anger that they ALL went stupid during the entire encounter.  Surely one of those guys are selfish enough to think we have body cams on, there is street surveillance, and we are holding this guy up and throwing punches, beating the crap out of him, maybe we should stop to save our own butt.  Yet, not one did.........   That makes ZERO sense to me

That is out of control people who likely should never have been officers. They exist.

I wonder what selection criteria they used to put extremely young (in experience) officers in that position. This wasn’t patrol officers. It was a special unit probably to stop violent crime, probably by profiling. Was it based on “their” community which is what I have seen enough times… do they look like us?

At times young officers are needed but they should be mixed with more senior officers. I don’t know if it is true but I heard that these officers were between two and five years in experience.

What was their mission? What parameters were they given?

This was not only a violent crime but a failure in leadership. I doubt this was 5 officers with no issues and no valid use of force complaints who all collectively lost it on this one incident because a guy ran. I have been in and initiated many foot chases and have never seen officers do that.

I was driving (as the commander of a street crimes unit just like this) with another officer about 15 years ago. There was a call of an armed (aggravated) robbery at gun point…. of a police officer’s wife. We spotted the suspect and were in an unmarked vehicle. We jumped out on him and he fled on foot. The suspect was supposed to have a pistol on him but we didn’t see it in his hand but certainly he could have pulled one out and shot within a couple of seconds. (We had an officer shot in that exact situation who still has the bullet in him) This was not just a traffic stop we were on. It was a potential deadly force situation with a violent felony suspect who we had probable cause to believe was armed.

We tackled him and he went to the ground face first but put his arms under his body. Was he going for a gun? My partner and I called for help (probably more like screamed in the radio 😂) and held on to both arms to try and keep him from pulling out a weapon. Yes it was pretty intense. Were we justified in using more force? Probably. 

A minute or so later two officers over 6’ tall and over 250 pounds each got there. Each one latched onto an arm and pulled them out like pulling apart a wishbone. 

He had no gun on him and apparently had stashed it. But… the probable cause was there to believe that he was armed after committing a violent crime and we actually knew the victim personally. If there was any justification to understand losing control of emotions, that might certainly  be understandable in the eyes of many people. However, all that happened to the guy was that he was tackled and handcuffed.

How to justify that much anger because a guy fled doesn't seem rational. Angry? Sure but this was out of control. Emotionally anyone involved including civilians would want to rough this guy up. This wasn’t a bar fight.

imo…….

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

The latest that I read (from a dubious source) is that the kid worked at FedEx… and one of the cop’s ex lady also worked at FedEx and had a thing going with the victim. The story is that it was  set up to beat the guy up (hence not asking for license/registration (since they already knew who the victim was). The real kicker is that supposedly the cop (ex bf) took a photo of the victim and sent it to his ex gf… if that’s true, it certainly changes things. 

Don’t take it as gospel, it’s just what I read. It’ll be interesting to see if that story pans out. 

If that was true (and I lean toward BS but it is certainly plausible) then this is possibly 1st Degree and premeditated (which doesn’t exist in Texas) murder. In TN premeditated murder is death penalty eligible. 

This is how nonsense and rumors get started. A person playing “what if” speculates on something. The speculation gets repeated and it is no longer speculation.

I have repeated this story but it is relevant.

About 8-10 years ago our chief of police retired and they were looking for a permanent replacement but also an interim chief. Typically a city will move a deputy chief up as an acting chief until a permanent chief can be hired, usually after the obligatory….. “nationwide search!”.

We figured that our city manager was going to go outside of the department even for the interim chief. They perceived the need for a change in culture which happens on occasion.

Knowing that an announcement was imminent….

I was conducting our evening shift, shift meeting (some departments call it roll call, etc) and at the conclusion I made a spur of the moment decision. 🙃

Literally within a couple of seconds I made up a story that went like…

”Did any of you hear that the assistant chief of police of the Amarillo Police Department took a leave of absence at his agency and will be named our interim chief tomorrow?”.

Of course, everyone said no… they had to, I just made it up. To follow up however (this was part of my scheme), I clearly said that it is probably a typical  BS police rumor and had no truth. Forget that I even mentioned it.

The next day as I was walking into the police station for  my shift meeting, a lieutenant approached me and asked, do you know what time the assistant chief of police of Amarillo is supposed to be here? 😂😂

And that friends, is how rumors get started.

In this case, maybe the guy was a former boyfriend of one of the officer’s current girlfriend. If so, they are in even deeper trouble…..

But…..

In an international news story like this, out of the thousands of guesses as to what happened, it only takes one person (although many people could have come up with the same story/guess) to surmise…. “I wonder if the guy that the cops beat up might have been dating one of their girlfriends?”.

The people in that circle of friends will say “I heard (which is true) that one of the officers might have been dating the dead guy’s ex-girlfriend… while conveniently omitting the part about it being a BS guess. The next repeat won’t be “might have” but simply, one of the officers was blah blah blah….

Remember the Amber Guyger case from Dallas PD who she walked into what she thought was her apartment and killed the guy. Almost immediately I was reading that it might have been her boyfriend and she made up the story to get rid of him. It was complete nonsense but it was all over the rumor mill. 

5 hours ago, tvc184 said:

This is how nonsense and rumors get started. A person playing “what if” speculates on something. The speculation gets repeated and it is no longer speculation.

I have repeated this story but it is relevant.

About 8-10 years ago our chief of police retired and they were looking for a permanent replacement but also an interim chief. Typically a city will move a deputy chief up as an acting chief until a permanent chief can be hired, usually after the obligatory….. “nationwide search!”.

We figured that our city manager was going to go outside of the department even for the interim chief. They perceived the need for a change in culture which happens on occasion.

Knowing that an announcement was imminent….

I was conducting our evening shift, shift meeting (some departments call it roll call, etc) and at the conclusion I made a spur of the moment decision. 🙃

Literally within a couple of seconds I made up a story that went like…

”Did any of you hear that the assistant chief of police of the Amarillo Police Department took a leave of absence at his agency and will be named our interim chief tomorrow?”.

Of course, everyone said no… they had to, I just made it up. To follow up however (this was part of my scheme), I clearly said that it is probably a typical  BS police rumor and had no truth. Forget that I even mentioned it.

The next day as I was walking into the police station for  my shift meeting, a lieutenant approached me and asked, do you know what time the assistant chief of police of Amarillo is supposed to be here? 😂😂

And that friends, is how rumors get started.

In this case, maybe the guy was a former boyfriend of one of the officer’s current girlfriend. If so, they are in even deeper trouble…..

But…..

In an international news story like this, out of the thousands of guesses as to what happened, it only takes one person (although many people could have come up with the same story/guess) to surmise…. “I wonder if the guy that the cops beat up might have been dating one of their girlfriends?”.

The people in that circle of friends will say “I heard (which is true) that one of the officers might have been dating the dead guy’s ex-girlfriend… while conveniently omitting the part about it being a BS guess. The next repeat won’t be “might have” but simply, one of the officers was blah blah blah….

Remember the Amber Guyger case from Dallas PD who she walked into what she thought was her apartment and killed the guy. Almost immediately I was reading that it might have been her boyfriend and she made up the story to get rid of him. It was complete nonsense but it was all over the rumor mill. 

I agree completely. 

I wanted to make it clear that it’s just a theory/rumor, but it’ll be interesting to see if it takes shape. 

It WOULD be an interesting development if it turns out to be true. 

I agree completely. 

I wanted to make it clear that it’s just a theory/rumor, but it’ll be interesting to see if it takes shape. 

Certainly seems like there was some reason for the whole group to go nuts like they did.

I agree completely. 

At least it’s (as tvc says) plausible.  I know it was senseless but spent no time on “why”, other than there almost certainly is a “why”.  It will come out eventually.  But in my feeble mind I can’t think of any “why” to justify this insanity.  So how do you get four of your buddies to flush their lives down the sewer?  Another mystery.

35 minutes ago, Hagar said:

At least it’s (as tvc says) plausible.  I know it was senseless but spent no time on “why”, other than there almost certainly is a “why”.  It will come out eventually.  But in my feeble mind I can’t think of any “why” to justify this insanity.  So how do you get four of your buddies to flush their lives down the sewer?  Another mystery.

It happens every night on "that" side of town.... the only reason anybody cares is that there were cops involved in this one.  There are two explanations for why people aren't rioting right now.  

1.  It's purely about race and is always the case, nobody cares about the epidemic of black men murdered by other black men. If those cops were white, this would have been worse than George Floyd's riots.  But since there's not a racial element, the masses don't care.  The media does, but you don't see much carrying on at all.

2.  The riots only occur when a Republican is President.  That's also a fact. 

On 1/31/2023 at 9:08 AM, CardinalBacker said:

It happens every night on "that" side of town.... the only reason anybody cares is that there were cops involved in this one.  There are two explanations for why people aren't rioting right now.  

1.  It's purely about race and is always the case, nobody cares about the epidemic of black men murdered by other black men. If those cops were white, this would have been worse than George Floyd's riots.  But since there's not a racial element, the masses don't care.  The media does, but you don't see much carrying on at all.

2.  The riots only occur when a Republican is President.  That's also a fact. 

How do you know what happens on that side of town? Are you making an assumption?

56 minutes ago, Big girl said:

How do you know what happens on that side of town? Are you making an assumption?

This is the hidden content, please

Well, seeing as to how 342 people were killed there in 2021, you kinda have to ask why everybody is so worked up over this single one.  That's almost one per day.  

I misspoke when I said "that side of town.'  Memphis is actually 64% black.  I should have said "that town" not "that side of town."