5 Memphis police officers charged with murder….

tvc184

39 minutes ago, DonTheCon2024 said:

Not all cops are bad.. but I understand why NWA didn’t make a song called F the fire department 

They “aren’t all bad” type statements are disingenuous at best. An overwhelming majority of officers aren’t bad. 

You just won’t hear about them. It doesn’t make the news.

5 hours ago, tvc184 said:

They “aren’t all bad” type statements are disingenuous at best. An overwhelming majority of officers aren’t bad. 

You just won’t hear about them. It doesn’t make the news.

Duh. Semantics. 

44 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

CNN put out an article that White racism caused or could have caused this. 

No, you can’t make this stuff up…..

Oh ok, forget about the guy getting murdered about cops. Let’s shoehorn in a political discussion instead 

9 hours ago, DonTheCon2024 said:

Duh. Semantics. 

Oh ok, forget about the guy getting murdered about cops. Let’s shoehorn in a political discussion instead 

It isn’t semantics. It is ridiculous.

The notion that commenting on CNN stupidity about race somehow does away with the murder is equally ridiculous. Should an entirely new thread be started about the same incident and stupid comments about the incident from the media?

So when I mention CNN it is apparently diverting from the murder into politics but when you mention NWA it isn't? What did NWA have to do with this murder? 

Your comments are nothing but virtue signaling. 

4 hours ago, tvc184 said:

It isn’t semantics. It is ridiculous.

The notion that commenting on CNN stupidity about race somehow does away with the murder is equally ridiculous. Should an entirely new thread be started about the same incident and stupid comments about the incident from the media?

So when I mention CNN it is apparently diverting from the murder into politics but when you mention NWA it isn't? What did NWA have to do with this murder? 

Your comments are nothing but virtue signaling. 

2 hours ago, baddog said:

"'It's just semantics' is a common retort people use when arguing their point. What they mean is that their argument or opinion is more valid than the other person's. It's a way to be dismissive of language itself as carrier for ideas.Oct 30, 2019

1 hour ago, Separation Scientist said:

WHITE SUPREAMACY FOR SURE!!!!!!!!!

lol what a joke 

“We need more community policing… none of these cops look like us.”

What happened to that kid was a shame and should not have happened. As somebody who thinks that the world was a better place when the police could tune a guy up when he needed it, this was just too much. Much too much. 

1. If those weren’t cops, it wouldn’t have made the local news two days in a row… it would have just been more inner city violence. 
2. A part of me wonders if these police were hired as part of a program that relaxed hiring standards in favor of filling racial quotas. 
3. As always, I suspect that there is more to the story. What happened was still criminal, but if you, say, kicked a cop in the nuts or something, you were kinda up front in the engine ringing the bell when the train left the station. 
4. This isn’t a George Floyd “did the knee cause his death” question. They beat this man to death. I guess they didn’t realize that the ‘hood code of silence wouldn’t apply to them. 
5. Ben Crump is implicit. In 2023 people antagonize cops hoping that they’ll get a payday.  Has that dude given anything back? He sure earns a lot. He needs these incidents to keep popping off or he’ll have to go back to fighting speeding tickets. 

5.  It’s funny how we can talk about the culture of violence in police departments causing this while ignoring that this could also be a result of the culture of violence in the black community.  

This whole thing was messed up. I can see a human snapping and knocking that hell out of somebody. I can’t see five guys holding a guy and taking turns punching, kicking, and hitting him with a baton over and over… then celebrating.  It was just savage. 

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

“We need more community policing… none of these cops look like us.”

What happened to that kid was a shame and should not have happened. As somebody who thinks that the world was a better place when the police could tune a guy up when he needed it, this was just too much. Much too much. 

1. If those weren’t cops, it wouldn’t have made the local news two days in a row… it would have just been more inner city violence. 
2. A part of me wonders if these police were hired as part of a program that relaxed hiring standards in favor of filling racial quotas. 
3. As always, I suspect that there is more to the story. What happened was still criminal, but if you, say, kicked a cop in the nuts or something, you were kinda up front in the engine ringing the bell when the train left the station. 
4. This isn’t a George Floyd “did the knee cause his death” question. They beat this man to death. I guess they didn’t realize that the ‘hood code of silence wouldn’t apply to them. 
5. Ben Crump is implicit. In 2023 people antagonize cops hoping that they’ll get a payday.  Has that dude given anything back? He sure earns a lot. He needs these incidents to keep popping off or he’ll have to go back to fighting speeding tickets. 

5.  It’s funny how we can talk about the culture of violence in police departments causing this while ignoring that this could also be a result of the culture of violence in the black community.  

This whole thing was messed up. I can see a human snapping and knocking that hell out of somebody. I can’t see five guys holding a guy and taking turns punching, kicking, and hitting him with a baton over and over… then celebrating.  It was just savage. 

I worked in community policing under a federal grant from the Clinton administration. I never understood the point of officers “looking like the community”. I did not look like the people in the area that I was responsible for. I was chosen once by KFDM or by KBMT (I actually think it was both but it has been about 25 years ago) as officer of the week or month (I think one of them called it Texas Star) which was to recognize officers. About 8 years ago I was in a city housing authority to pick up some paperwork and passed by a meeting room. There was a committee of residents having a regularly scheduled meeting. They  saw me passing by and called me into the room to commend me for the job that I was doing for them to make the public housing unit a better place. The manager said they had just been discussing the conditions in public housing and specifically mentioned me. I guess they didn’t care that I didn’t look like them.

1. It is true that it would barely make local news if it was not the police but fame gets attention. Alec Baldwin accidentally shot a woman and it’s been national news for over a year. Meanwhile, hundreds of other people might have been accidentally shot and no one knows. I understand that and so should everyone else. Celebrities draw more attention and interest from the public and the police are absolutely celebrities but by position, not by name.

2. Uhhhhhh…… ya’ think? Part of it is minority hires but part is because some (left side of the aisle) groups have managed to vilify the police and it is hard to draw recruits from any race. When I took the test almost 40 years ago there were approximately 200 people trying out for seven positions. By law, the test is good for a year or until all applicants have been vetted but within about four months they had to give another test because they had already gone through all the applicants. Of the 200 that took the, 39 passed and moved on to the background check. They could not find the seven qualified applicants from those 39 and that is why they had to give the test again. Now I have seen openings fo 10 people and 8 people show up to take the test. It is a considerably easier test with about a 50% passing rate instead of about 20% in my test. So maybe 5 people pass and we are lucky to hire 2. So they have moved from hiring 3% of the applicants being hired to about 25-50%.… and still can’t keep up with hiring. It takes about a year and a half to train a police officer to the bare minimum standard of working alone in a patrol car. It probably takes another 3 to 5 years to start getting enough experience to make better decisions and to effectively do the job. So if we have a police officer, leave the department either by moving on to something else, another department, getting fired, retiring, or whatever… it takes up to five or more years to actually replace the officer. While there are certainly higher-paying jobs out there, in my agency a person can come in at 21 years old with only a GED and start out at about $32 an hour with a minimum of five weeks a year vacation and three weeks off sick. There aren’t that many jobs with those benefits for a person with only a GED so benefits shouldn’t keep a 21 year old from applying. A rookie police officer by the time he /she makes overtime, makes about $75,000 in the first full year and it goes up from there. I imagine there are probably quite a few college graduates who would like to start out if $75,000, they toss in guaranteed vacation and sick time that cannot expire. 

3. There is always more to the story because the story is not public. The more in this case obviously doesn’t justify the response.

4. The code of silence or the blue wall is a myth. It might exist between half a dozen friends but it does not go department wide. It also makes me wonder about the supervision in that department. I might start questioning the chief of police or the command staff on how they are setting standards and supervising. I don’t mean any of them condone this in the least and I’m sure the command staff is appalled and horrified by the results. It seems that somewhere they have lost control with their mid level leadership…. particularly with the street crimes unit… that they apparently call Scorpions??? I was in command of a street crimes unit for three years and it was absolutely my responsibility and those staff level command officers above me to make sure this didn’t happen. In Memphis they failed in my opinion.

5. No comment. 

28 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

1. It is true that it would barely make local news if it was not the police but fame gets attention. Alec Baldwin accidentally shot a woman and it’s been national news for over a year. Meanwhile, hundreds of other people might have been accidentally shot and no one knows. I understand that and so should everyone else. Celebrities draw more attention and interest from the public and the police are absolutely celebrities but by position, not by name.

Thats what I said from the beginning with the "Gabby Petito" National Obsession that turned into a National Sickness. Why that otherwise unremarkable woman became THE most important person on the planet to some mystifies me. 

The fact these guys have body cams on and the Media is on a Search & Destroy mission against PD’s everywhere has to make one wonder, what were you guys thinking?  What a senseless act.  In a time we need more minority PO’s it’s a crying shame for five of them to do something so senseless and stupid.  Is there more to this?  A head shaker for sure.

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

The fact these guys have body cams on and the Media is on a Search & Destroy mission against PD’s everywhere has to make one wonder, what were you guys thinking?  What a senseless act.  In a time we need more minority PO’s it’s a crying shame for five of them to do something so senseless and stupid.  Is there more to this?  A head shaker for sure.

Yeah something just doesn’t seem right about this….