Republicans Fair Tax Act

Boyz N Da Hood

28 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Broke fatties? That’s pretty condescending. The cheapest food is also the unhealthiest. 

Lol... Bull.  When I'm broke, do I buy more junk food?  Nah, it's time for rice and beans, etc... Everybody knows that food stamps (SNAP, EBT) gives a person way more money to spend than they'd have as a person who buys their own groceries.  

Isn't it crazy how since the dawn of time, if humans or animals don't have enough to eat, they get skinny... except in America they get fatter.  You're not that stupid, you're just lying. 

I’m amazed (not really) how working class and poor people continue fighting the ultra poors meanwhile the ultra wealthy and politically connected continue increasing the wealth disparity to record levels. 

Kicking a single mom of 4 kids (yes, she probably made stupid life decisions) off food stamps is in no way going to improve your own life. 

You guys have a small town mentality and are completely missing the bigger picture. Almost as if yall need a boogeyman to blame for why you’re still not where you want to financially be in life. 

4 hours ago, DonTheCon2024 said:

I’m amazed (not really) how working class and poor people continue fighting the ultra poors meanwhile the ultra wealthy and politically connected continue increasing the wealth disparity to record levels. 

Kicking a single mom of 4 kids (yes, she probably made stupid life decisions) off food stamps is in no way going to improve your own life. 

You guys have a small town mentality and are completely missing the bigger picture. Almost as if yall need a boogeyman to blame for why you’re still not where you want to financially be in life. 

From the guy who pretends to pay six figures a year in taxes.  

So you think that a person should be entitled to:

1. a few thousand dollars a year in the form of a tax handout.

2.  Free food for the course of their natural life via foodstamps

3.  Free healthcare (up to and including abortion on demand regardless of ability to pay) for life

4.  Absolution of all college debt and free college for all from now on.

5.  NICE housing from cradle to grave, with no contribution from the tenant

6.   Reparations for all black people, regardless of their affiliation with slavery

7.  A free smart phone w/data plan

8.  EBT plans for those expenses not covered by SNAP/WIC

You know who never supports gross handouts to those who make poor choices?  Rich people.  

You'll need to bump your imaginary tax payments to 10 figures, sir.  What y'all want is impossible, regardless of how much you tax the 1%.

I saw a neat video last week.  A guy was on the street asking people if they'd sign a petition demanding free college for all.  Every single one was like "heck ya!  We need that here-that's how it should be!"

While they were signing the petition he said " and also, write over to the right of your know how much you'd like to contribute towards free college every year."  Every single person was like, "no.... wait..... nevermind, I don't want to sign your deal."

Everybody's got their hand out, but they also want a big fat "refund" they didn't earn instead of contributing.

Everybody should be contributing. 

22 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

3.  Free healthcare (up to and including abortion on demand regardless of ability to pay) for life

6.   Reparations for all black people, regardless of their affiliation with slavery

You know who never supports gross handouts to those who make poor choices?  Rich people.  

You'll need to bump your imaginary tax payments to 10 figures, sir.  What y'all want is impossible, regardless of how much you tax the 1%.

I don't think he realizes you don't count the numbers to the right of the decimal.

34 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I know we don’t always see eye to eye, but this post says it all for me. Thank you. 

I'll throw one revision to the tax code that DOES need to happen.

Guys like Jeff Bezos, Zuckerberg, and a whole host of other mega wealthy use a particular mechanism to avoid paying property tax.

Each year their compensation consists largely of shares of stock... and we all know that the value of those assets isn't taxed until the stock is sold... therefore it's not subject to taxation.  The argument is that those increases in stock value aren't realized until the stock is sold.  For instance, if you and your buddies all dropped $500 into Dogecoin year before last, at one point you were "worth" $50k... today you're probably worth less than your initial $500.  Aren't you glad you didn't pay taxes on that $50K?

But the mega wealthy take out LOANS against their stock and use the proceeds of those loans to finance their lifestyles.  I'm Elon Musk and I've got 500 Billion worth of Tesla stock that I received tax free, or tax free until it sells... no income taxes.  I just borrow piles of cash against my stock (those loans are not subject to taxation, other than the fact that Mr. Musk can write off any interest he paid during the course of his loan.  That's how guys manage to live filthy rich lifestyles without ever paying taxes.

That, in my opinion, is wrong.  Loans against stocks should be taxed like income.  And it should have bi-partisan support.

46 minutes ago, thetragichippy said:

But it may improve hers.........

I was on my way to the lake a few years back and stopped in Newton at Brookshires. There was a clean cut lady in line in front of me at the registers and she was wearing a Newton ISD shirt. Possibly a teacher , probably a para… I don’t know. We made small talk and she seemed sharp.  

She pulled out her Lonestar Card and paid for her groceries, then paid cash for her non-grocery items. I could make a ton of judgments, but it made me wonder. How many people have NEVER paid for their own groceries? I can’t claim superiority because I have signed up for benefits in the past. There was an emergency 90 days’ worth, if my memory is correct. I found work and never renewer after that initial period. But I do remember that the actual money lasted a lot longer than 90 days, lol.

Its like this… I know a young couple with kids and they are always struggling… but I’ve heard Grandpaw say “I don’t care how bad it gets over there… my grandkids aren’t going to sit in the dark over there and they’re not going to go hungry.” It’s a nice gesture, but all Mom and Dad hear is that they don’t have to worry about the light bill or food… gramps has it covered… or at least that’s how they act. They just need somebody else to help them get their car back from the repo yard. 

And I think that’s where a lot of our “poor” are today. They know that if they start improving their lot in life by getting a job, they won’t be able to afford the groceries that they have on our dime. Those generous benefits are a disincentive to getting off of them. 

My solution? A set period of benefits like we have now… 24 months or so. Once it’s done, it’s only good for products like WIC provides, the old cheese and butter like they used to pass out, and MREs like we feed our troops. My guess is that you’d have a lot fewer people on the system. Heck, prove the liberals wrong. Only give them healthy alternatives. Fresh fruit and vegetables, no processed foods, no soft drinks.  My guess is that our spending in that area would shrink when they couldn’t shop like fourth graders turned loose at the grocery store with unlimited resources. 

From Cardinal Backer......

My solution? A set period of benefits like we have now… 24 months or so. Once it’s done, it’s only good for products like WIC provides, the old cheese and butter like they used to pass out, and MREs like we feed our troops. My guess is that you’d have a lot fewer people on the system. Heck, prove the liberals wrong. Only give them healthy alternatives. Fresh fruit and vegetables, no processed foods, no soft drinks.  My guess is that our spending in that area would shrink when they couldn’t shop like fourth graders turned loose at the grocery store with unlimited resources.

Isn't this how it was when I was younger? You could only get so many months of unemployment and other handouts? 

When I was a younger man there was a stigma that came with being unemployed. Now it is a badge of courage. 

I had a friend out of work that called asking for a job. I hooked him up with a job paying $35/hr. Much less than we had made in the past but a good paying job non the less. He took the job but told me......... "This job is beneath me and I need more money." My response was, no job is beneath you when you don't have a job. 

2 hours ago, Eagle11 said:

Isn't this how it was when I was younger? You could only get so many months of unemployment and other handouts? 

When I was a younger man there was a stigma that came with being unemployed. Now it is a badge of courage. 

I had a friend out of work that called asking for a job. I hooked him up with a job paying $35/hr. Much less than we had made in the past but a good paying job non the less. He took the job but told me......... "This job is beneath me and I need more money." My response was, no job is beneath you when you don't have a job. 

I say that all of the time... people used to drive a town over to buy their groceries if they were having to use stamps temporarily.  It was just a matter of pride.  

The thing is this... that "disease" of being willing to exist on the efforts of others is contagious.   Not only do the beneficiaries always want their handouts to be increased, but the people who aren't receiving anything start to think "why should I pay for all of this when nobody else has to?"  Then the welfare state grows.  I've got a married coworker.  She and her husband do REALLY well, but have two small kids.  They started receiving those "child tax credit" payments last year and was like... WTH?  Why are they sending me money?  

My 18 year old kid signed up with the Salvation Army after Harvey and collected $400.  He literally lived at home and had ZERO losses.  No damage, no lost work.... nothing.  Our lights didn't even go out.  He's like "everybody is doing it!"  I worry that the greed/unwillingness to work is going to be the end of us all.  

15 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Mom and Dad hear is that they don’t have to worry about the light bill or food… gramps has it covered… or at least that’s how they act.

That was kind of the point to my comment. When you get comfortable with a lifestyle and income, there is no motivation to better yourself.....or you get in a financial position where you can't without some big struggle, so you stay where you are most comfortable and don't grow. 

It always pulls on heartstrings when you say "struggling mother of 4", and I'm sure she is struggling.  I have kids and the struggle is real sometimes, but that occasional struggle was paid back with unconditional love watching them grow up.  My advice to that struggling mother of 4 is figure out a way to get out of the position your decisions put you in. It may takes you a few years but it is possible with hard work...... 

20 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Never said any of that. In fact, earlier in the topic, I said income tax fraud / gaming the system is wrong. More deflection, whataboutism and straight up making stuff up on this forum as always.

Anyways, done talking finance and economics with people who don’t have industry experience and are in much lower tax brackets. The business acumen of this forum dropped dramatically with the unfortunate passing of stevenash.

2 hours ago, DonTheCon2024 said:

Never said any of that. In fact, earlier in the topic, I said income tax fraud / gaming the system is wrong. More deflection, whataboutism and straight up making stuff up on this forum as always.

Anyways, done talking finance and economics with people who don’t have industry experience and are in much lower tax brackets. The business acumen of this forum dropped dramatically with the unfortunate passing of stevenash.

Maybe you should pay attention - been in banking and finance since 2006, and came from managing big box retail stores. 

But go ahead and play superior if it makes you feel better behind that keyboard. 

On 1/31/2023 at 9:02 AM, CardinalBacker said:

Lol... Bull.  When I'm broke, do I buy more junk food?  Nah, it's time for rice and beans, etc... Everybody knows that food stamps (SNAP, EBT) gives a person way more money to spend than they'd have as a person who buys their own groceries.  

Isn't it crazy how since the dawn of time, if humans or animals don't have enough to eat, they get skinny... except in America they get fatter.  You're not that stupid, you're just lying. 

You ever hear of a food desert? Why not just reopen bread lines and make ‘em all come downtown to eat rice and beans if they want to live?  That’s an America we could all be proud of.  

On 1/31/2023 at 8:40 AM, 5GallonBucket said:

Nope.

seeds are fairly cheap and the yield is much better

Gotta own land to plant enough to subsist. Poor people don’t own land. The bottom 60% of the working population owns 3.3% of the nation’s wealth. Top 10% owns 68%.

l

This is the hidden content, please

This site is populated by the most condescending people I believe I’ve ever seen.

On 1/31/2023 at 3:51 PM, CardinalBacker said:

Some of that trillion we use to build bombs and tanks and carriers an fighters that grows a defense already bigger than the next five or ten nations would be a start. No tax increase neede there. It would be nice if the 1% paid a little tax.

17 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Gotta own land to plant enough to subsist. Poor people don’t own land. The bottom 60% of the working population owns 3.3% of the nation’s wealth. Top 10% owns 68%.

l

This site is populated by the most condescending people I believe I’ve ever seen.

Bye!!

1 hour ago, UT alum said:

l

Though true

I was referencing the “ cheapest food is the Unhealthiest”…remark without any other jab or intention

but I have seen many foreigners use their apt patios to grow all sorts of veggies in pots and boxes.

since your throwing around that descriptor maybe I should return the favor……..nahhh no need.

27 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Though true

I was referencing the “ cheapest food is the Unhealthiest”…remark without any other jab or intention

but I have seen many foreigners use their apt patios to grow all sorts of veggies in pots and boxes.

since your throwing around that descriptor maybe I should return the favor……..nahhh no need.

I grew tomatoes and peppers on my apartment patio, but a patio garden is not going to produce a meaningful amount of food. I don’t have to work two jobs just to pay my rent, either.