Vidor is open !!

lcm93

10 hours ago, 1989NDN said:

At PN-G, during 1974-1977, Coach Ethridge had talented kids and assistant coaches.  23 all-state players and several assistant coaches that left to become high school head coaches or assistant coaches in the college ranks.  Kids like Wilson Weber, Kyle Aguillard, Richy Ethridge, Randy Ethridge, Ted Brack, Justin Eicher, and Robert DeRutte do not come through Mid-County very often.  Very talented kids.  Assistant coaches like Greg Davis, Tim Nunez, Bruce Bush, Paul Carswell, and Ken Clearman were successful at PN-G and they sustained success after they left The Reservation in 1977.  You can find a video on YouTube where Jeff Powers productions interviewed Doug and Richy Ethridge about PN-G's success during 1974-1977, and both of them stated that PN-G's success was a combination of talented kids, great assistant coaches, and legendary community support.  The core values of Honor, Pride, and Tradition, which have been taught at PN-GISD for nearly 100 years, also played a part.  PN-G gets laughed at for being a bedroom community or cult-like for its commitment to its traditions, history, and core values, but all those pieces of the puzzle are what good coaches look for in a job.  Coach Ethridge was elite before he came to PN-G and he was elite after he left PN-G.  Regardless of his W-L records or all-time wins number, he was the greatest Chief of the Tribe and second place is not anywhere close.

Another great coach that had talented kids at Hebert and West Brook was Alex Durley.  He, too, had great assistant coaches.  Combine great coaches with talented kids over in Beaumont, and viola, Herbert won and West Brook won...a lot.  Durley teams played great defense, ran the ball down your throat, and they didn't turn the ball over.  You had to beat Hebert because they were not going to beat themselves with dumb plays and turnovers.

Dan Hooks...Cornell Thompson...Curtis Barbay...Steve Shaver...the list goes on.  All great coaches that put trophies in the trophy case.  Remember those French Buffs in 1984..."Solid...Solid as a Rock!"  Those teams had strong coaching staffs and talented kids.

I'm a Larry Neumann fan, too.  He's another elite coach.  I don't care that he never won a title.  He was an elite coach.  He also had an elite DC in Delbert Spell.  Together they maximized the talent that passed through NISD and they won a lot of games against better competition.  Excellent football program at NISD under Neumann.  Very well coached and prepared to compete.  What more can you ask for?  I'd line up for coaches like Ethridge and Neumann all day long.  Very similar coaching talents and philosophies - play good defense, take care of the football, and when you have opportunities to make big plays...roll the dice and take your best shot.  I wrote a lot of words to say that winning championships takes talent + coaching.  

One of the greatest coaching staffs assembled in recent times in  this area was in Newton a few years back.

12 hours ago, 1989NDN said:

At PN-G, during 1974-1977, Coach Ethridge had talented kids and assistant coaches.  23 all-state players and several assistant coaches that left to become high school head coaches or assistant coaches in the college ranks.  Kids like Wilson Weber, Kyle Aguillard, Richy Ethridge, Randy Ethridge, Ted Brack, Justin Eicher, and Robert DeRutte do not come through Mid-County very often.  Very talented kids.  Assistant coaches like Greg Davis, Tim Nunez, Bruce Bush, Paul Carswell, and Ken Clearman were successful at PN-G and they sustained success after they left The Reservation in 1977.  You can find a video on YouTube where Jeff Powers productions interviewed Doug and Richy Ethridge about PN-G's success during 1974-1977, and both of them stated that PN-G's success was a combination of talented kids, great assistant coaches, and legendary community support.  The core values of Honor, Pride, and Tradition, which have been taught at PN-GISD for nearly 100 years, also played a part.  PN-G gets laughed at for being a bedroom community or cult-like for its commitment to its traditions, history, and core values, but all those pieces of the puzzle are what good coaches look for in a job.  Coach Ethridge was elite before he came to PN-G and he was elite after he left PN-G.  Regardless of his W-L records or all-time wins number, he was the greatest Chief of the Tribe and second place is not anywhere close.

Another great coach that had talented kids at Hebert and West Brook was Alex Durley.  He, too, had great assistant coaches.  Combine great coaches with talented kids over in Beaumont, and viola, Herbert won and West Brook won...a lot.  Durley teams played great defense, ran the ball down your throat, and they didn't turn the ball over.  You had to beat Hebert because they were not going to beat themselves with dumb plays and turnovers.

Dan Hooks...Cornell Thompson...Curtis Barbay...Steve Shaver...the list goes on.  All great coaches that put trophies in the trophy case.  Remember those French Buffs in 1984..."Solid...Solid as a Rock!"  Those teams had strong coaching staffs and talented kids.

I'm a Larry Neumann fan, too.  He's another elite coach.  I don't care that he never won a title.  He was an elite coach.  He also had an elite DC in Delbert Spell.  Together they maximized the talent that passed through NISD and they won a lot of games against better competition.  Excellent football program at NISD under Neumann.  Very well coached and prepared to compete.  What more can you ask for?  I'd line up for coaches like Ethridge and Neumann all day long.  Very similar coaching talents and philosophies - play good defense, take care of the football, and when you have opportunities to make big plays...roll the dice and take your best shot.  I wrote a lot of words to say that winning championships takes talent + coaching.  

Ask any of the guys who played for Neumann to this day they would crawl through mud if he asked them to

4 hours ago, prepballfan said:

One of the greatest coaching staffs assembled in recent times in  this area was in Newton a few years back.

The fact that Jasper could have had that HC (W T) back in 2012 has troubled me ever since. who wouldn't want their young men to have HC/mentor like that in their life?

DWAYNE DUBOIS
9 years 45-51-0
---staff, Vidor--
2013    Hardin-Jefferson     8-5-0 T
2014    Hardin-Jefferson  11-2-0 R
2015    Bridge City                7-4-0 T
2016    Bridge City                9-3-0
2017    Bridge City                1-7-0
2018    Hardin-Jefferson     2-8-0
2019    Hardin-Jefferson     1-9-0 F
2020    Hardin-Jefferson     5-5-0 T
2021    Hardin-Jefferson     1-8-0