Vidor is open !!

lcm93

56 minutes ago, Reagan said:

I'm glad you ask this.  In the grand scheme of things, within the community, no one is really concerned who the tennis coach is.  Heck, how many knows who their golf coach is?!   When's the last time someone did a FOI on who are the candidates for the next volleyball HC of any school?  

With that being said:  If the tennis coach is being paid as much as the football HC and the tennis budget was the same as the football budget and a million bond was passed to build a Taj Mahal of a tennis court, then, yes, they would be subjected to the 7 year program.  As always -- the more of taxpayers money that is involved the more is required!

What about schools that don't play football?

Also, lot's of schools put just as much importance in basketball and baseball as they do football. So your "theory" doesn't apply.

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

What about schools that don't play football?

Also, lot's of schools put just as much importance in basketball and baseball as they do football. So your "theory" doesn't apply.

Theory?  My 7 year program is a doable fact for any school district that wants to try it.  The bottom line is it's left up to each school district.  Now, if a school wants to use this 7 year program in other sports, well, again, that's left up to them.  It would eventually work every time it's tried.  I mean if the community feels strongly about the golf team, then by all means go for the 7 year program.  But, doesn't matter to me one way or the other.  Again -- hope is NOT a strategy!  

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

This is why BC should implement my 7 year program.  It'll eventually work.  On the other hand doing nothing will get you just that -- nothing.  As I've told one poster, hope is not a strategy!  

between you and I (I was smirking  about that last entry on his list) lol .

obviously you understood that.

I think I have said before that the 7 year pov makes sense (maybe not the fire HC if no titles). In order to implement a program, it gives the HC the time of his arrival then the next 6 seasons(starting with 7th graders til they become seniors). 

A full cycle with the program started.

3 minutes ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

between you and I (I was smirking  about that last entry on his list) lol .

obviously you understood that.

I think I have said before that the 7 year pov makes sense (maybe not the fire HC if no titles). In order to implement a program, it gives the HC the time of his arrival then the next 6 seasons(starting with 7th graders til they become seniors). 

A full cycle with the program started.

Oh, I understood!  That's true about starting in the 7th grade.  But, remember, I replied to a previous post on how I came up with the 7 year time frame.  I looked to see how long it took future Elite coaches to win their first Title.  The average was 4 years.  I added 3 and that's how I came up with 7.  

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

Theory?  My 7 year program is a doable fact for any school district that wants to try it.  The bottom line is it's left up to each school district.  Now, if a school wants to use this 7 year program in other sports, well, again, that's left up to them.  It would eventually work every time it's tried.  I mean if the community feels strongly about the golf team, then by all means go for the 7 year program.  But, doesn't matter to me one way or the other.  Again -- hope is NOT a strategy!  

Sigh... selective responses.. 

• "Etheridge Records after 1977

'78- 6-4

'79- 4-5-1

'80- 7-3

'81- 3-7

'82- 4-6

'83- 6-3-1

'84- 2-8 @Round Rock"

You still didn't explain that ^.  I need your explanation to why he (AN ELITE COACH) managed a 7 year stretch that you would've fired him for... after winning his 2nd state title.  4 of those 7 years were below .500.  Explain that.

It's not about taking hall of fame status away.. just admitting that he didn't have the players.  Proving that even a great coach can't do it without good players.  Like I've said countless times, Bill Belichick is an average to below average coach without Tom Brady.  79-87 without him, to be exact. "

13 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

'78- 6-4

'79- 4-5-1

'80- 7-3

'81- 3-7

'82- 4-6

'83- 6-3-1

'84- 2-8 @Round Rock"

You still didn't explain that ^.  I need your explanation to why he (AN ELITE COACH) managed a 7 year stretch that you would've fired him for... after winning his 2nd state title.  4 of those 7 years were below .500.  Explain that.

It's not about taking hall of fame status away.. just admitting that he didn't have the players.  Proving that even a great coach can't do it without good players.  Like I've said countless times, Bill Belichick is an average to below average coach without Tom Brady.  79-87 without him, to be exact. "

LOL!  I save the easy ones for last!  

22 minutes ago, Reagan said:

LOL!  I save the easy ones for last!  

It's most certainly easy.  Why did one of your elite coaches go 7 years with mediocre record each year, after winning his second state title?  Because he didn't have players good enough to make a deep run with.

You're right.  Easy. I just want you to admit it.. even though you probably wont. 

1 minute ago, oldschool2 said:

It's most certainly easy.  Why did one of your elite coaches go 7 years with mediocre record each year, after winning his second state title?  Because he didn't have players good enough to make a deep run with.

You're right.  Easy. I just want you to admit it.. even though you probably wont. 

I’m glad you understand it’s easy.  😁.  Also glad you made one statement here.

22 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I must apologize… I got lost somewhere. What is the 7 year program?

He has a list of coaches that he deems "elite".. that have either won multiple state championships, state championships at more than one school, or both.  And he believes that any of those coaches or any coach of that caliber would go to any school, of any classification, with any level of talent/ability, and win a state championship within 7 years.

5 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

By agreeing with me, you're admitting that the "7 year program" doesn't work without players good enough to win.  Which is what we've all been saying for several pages now.  

Not agreeing with you.  You agreed with me by me making it easy to understand.  The statement you made that I was talking about will present itself shortly.  

15 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Not agreeing with you.  You agreed with me by me making it easy to understand.  The statement you made that I was talking about will present itself shortly.  

There isn't anything I've posted that's difficult to understand.  If you think I agreed with you then you stopped reading at, "it's most certainly easy".  Because otherwise you would've seen me say that the reason he had a mediocre stretch was because he had mediocre players. 

2 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

'78- 6-4

'79- 4-5-1

'80- 7-3

'81- 3-7

'82- 4-6

'83- 6-3-1

'84- 2-8 @Round Rock"

I've already explained to you about Belichick and Brady.  Go back and read it.  This one was a coincidence.  Another ones, like I've told you, are exceptions to the rule.  Another is not everything 100% and nothing is in a straight line.   But the rule is that the "coach" will make the difference!  Ethridge was already an Elite coach.  Not subjected to the 7 year program.  What happened after, that's part of the situation not being 100%.  It's just like saying if an Elite coach wins 10 straight Titles but not 11 then saying, you see, he's not Elite.  LOL!  Or like saying when 2 Elite coaches square off in a Title game.  Someone has to lose.  But does it make them any less Elite?  Someone had to have been hibernating if they didn't notice what a coaching change did for PNG!   Hopefully Nederland was paying attention.

I can guarantee that Southlake Carroll will not win 4 out of 5 Titles again like Dodge did.  And Westlake will not win 3 Titles in a row like Dodge did.  I can also state that Brownwood has not won a Title before and after G. Wood won 7 Titles.  I can also guarantee that no one at Brownwood will replicate what G. Wood did.   I can also guarantee that no one will replicate what Buchanan and S. Wood replicated at Aledo.  Also I can guarantee that no one will replicate what Surratt has done at Carthage.  By the way, there were no Titles before these people got there.  Can also guarantee that no one will replicate Briles' 4 out of 7 Titles at Stephenville.  Also no Title there before he got there.  I know Briles, and these others, created the athletes they put on the field.  If you are interested, do a little study on what Briles did at Stephenville.  Now, if that's what you are talking about that it takes athletes, then, yes, we agree.  But it's by the coaches creation.  And, yes, it's all about coaching!  This is why a school that implements the 7 year program will eventually experience what these schools, and PNG, has experience.  Let me also repeat:  Hoping and doing nothing are NOT strategies!!

Now you said twice in your last couple of statements that you blame the kids.  Thanks for again admitting that.  And this brings up the problem of why  building a consensus on this is tough.  We have those that blame the coach and we have those that blame the kids.  That's where the gulf is right now.  But I feel after seeing what PNG did we have some that came over to the coaching side.  Now, your opinion, like mine, means nothing more or less than anyone else's here.  Why?  because that's what we do here.  Can I get an Amen!    :)

1 hour ago, Throw46 said:

Is this job still open? is it done deal with someone, I don't want to waste my time if they have their guy.

All signs this far lead to an inside hire or former Vidor OC. The reason for this assumption is that Mathews will keep his job until June and as stated ,he will be there to help the new coach with the acclimation . He also stated in a recent interview he will make at least one practice a week and be there for every game. A coach with a new system wouldn't need acclimation to his own system. Just an observation !

15 hours ago, KF89 said:

Question had nothing to do with Neuman, Tom Landry or Lombardi. '74-'77 Ethridge had elite head coaching record in Texas at PNG, After '77 Ethridge had average coaching record. What changed was the question? Elite head coaching in high school doesn't  really need many quality players & can win state championships at any school according to you? Biggest factor was level of talent & skilled players declined those years for Ethridge. As elite as his coaching may have been, it did not matter without a good amount of talented players.    

At PN-G, during 1974-1977, Coach Ethridge had talented kids and assistant coaches.  23 all-state players and several assistant coaches that left to become high school head coaches or assistant coaches in the college ranks.  Kids like Wilson Weber, Kyle Aguillard, Richy Ethridge, Randy Ethridge, Ted Brack, Justin Eicher, and Robert DeRutte do not come through Mid-County very often.  Very talented kids.  Assistant coaches like Greg Davis, Tim Nunez, Bruce Bush, Paul Carswell, and Ken Clearman were successful at PN-G and they sustained success after they left The Reservation in 1977.  You can find a video on YouTube where Jeff Powers productions interviewed Doug and Richy Ethridge about PN-G's success during 1974-1977, and both of them stated that PN-G's success was a combination of talented kids, great assistant coaches, and legendary community support.  The core values of Honor, Pride, and Tradition, which have been taught at PN-GISD for nearly 100 years, also played a part.  PN-G gets laughed at for being a bedroom community or cult-like for its commitment to its traditions, history, and core values, but all those pieces of the puzzle are what good coaches look for in a job.  Coach Ethridge was elite before he came to PN-G and he was elite after he left PN-G.  Regardless of his W-L records or all-time wins number, he was the greatest Chief of the Tribe and second place is not anywhere close.

Another great coach that had talented kids at Hebert and West Brook was Alex Durley.  He, too, had great assistant coaches.  Combine great coaches with talented kids over in Beaumont, and viola, Herbert won and West Brook won...a lot.  Durley teams played great defense, ran the ball down your throat, and they didn't turn the ball over.  You had to beat Hebert because they were not going to beat themselves with dumb plays and turnovers.

Dan Hooks...Cornell Thompson...Curtis Barbay...Steve Shaver...the list goes on.  All great coaches that put trophies in the trophy case.  Remember those French Buffs in 1984..."Solid...Solid as a Rock!"  Those teams had strong coaching staffs and talented kids.

I'm a Larry Neumann fan, too.  He's another elite coach.  I don't care that he never won a title.  He was an elite coach.  He also had an elite DC in Delbert Spell.  Together they maximized the talent that passed through NISD and they won a lot of games against better competition.  Excellent football program at NISD under Neumann.  Very well coached and prepared to compete.  What more can you ask for?  I'd line up for coaches like Ethridge and Neumann all day long.  Very similar coaching talents and philosophies - play good defense, take care of the football, and when you have opportunities to make big plays...roll the dice and take your best shot.  I wrote a lot of words to say that winning championships takes talent + coaching.