Vidor is open !!

lcm93

16 minutes ago, Razor said:

This stuff isn’t that hard…reality is that you need both, coaching and talent…too many folks live in a world of absolutes, saying “it’s all the kids” or “it’s all the coaching “ when neither is true…great coaches have bad years and talented teams fail to meet expectations all the time

il assure you this, there ain’t many no talent teams winning championships but plenty of very talented ones who have success, but don’t win the whole thing

This is the most truth I’ve heard. I’ll add parents/community to the mix too (which equates to tolerance, support and spending). To think good coaching is all it takes has never coached at that level. 

Just now, SmashMouth said:

This is the most truth I’ve heard. I’ll add parents/community to the mix too (which equates to tolerance, support and spending). To think good coaching is all it takes has never coached at that level. 

I ran out of likes. 

+1!

30 minutes ago, Razor said:

This stuff isn’t that hard…reality is that you need both, coaching and talent…too many folks live in a world of absolutes, saying “it’s all the kids” or “it’s all the coaching “ when neither is true…great coaches have bad years and talented teams fail to meet expectations all the time

il assure you this, there ain’t many no talent teams winning championships but plenty of very talented ones who have success, but don’t win the whole thing

Everybody here know this... except for one.

I'm curious if you don't win in your seven years and get fired, does that make you ineligible to get hired somewhere else?  It kinda seems like you're outkicking the coverage on this one.  For every coach who ever wins a state championship there are dozens who never will.  Not sure how you can keep firing really good coaches in the hopes of finding an elite coach when by Reagan's standards, there are less than 10-15 "elite" coaches at any given time roaming the sidelines of Texas football stadiums, while there are over 1500 high school football teams in the state. 

3 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I'm curious if you don't win in your seven years and get fired, does that make you ineligible to get hired somewhere else?  It kinda seems like you're outkicking the coverage on this one.  For every coach who ever wins a state championship there are dozens who never will.  Not sure how you can keep firing really good coaches in the hopes of finding an elite coach when by Reagan's standards, there are less than 10-15 "elite" coaches at any given time roaming the sidelines of Texas football stadiums, while there are over 1500 high school football teams in the state. 

+1!!! 

6 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Great point.. but it doesn't make sense to pretend that the idea is anything other than what it is.. idiotic.  Even coaches on his own list of elite coaches were proven do have mediocre or poor seasons after winning their 2nd+ state title.  

Forgive Reagan...he isn't too good at math and doesn't realize that you would run out of coaches...maybe then, some of the "coaches" in the stands could take over and we could see how that goes??

And huge agreement with Smashmouth when he added parent and community support to my previous post...those are critical as well.

19 hours ago, piratevillain said:

from what ive read, they want a new hire within two months, but mathews wants to acclimate the new coach to the players to make sure the players get settled in and mathews last day is june 1st.

That's doesn't sound too promising. Im guessing he will be in on the hiring process also smdh

14 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

The fact that he only believes that "elite coaching" happens in football tells me everything I need. 

Wrong, again.  If I'm not mistaken I was asked if the 7 year rule applied to all sports.  That's when I responded that I'm only talking about football.

8 hours ago, Razor said:

Forgive Reagan...he isn't too good at math and doesn't realize that you would run out of coaches...maybe then, some of the "coaches" in the stands could take over and we could see how that goes??

And huge agreement with Smashmouth when he added parent and community support to my previous post...those are critical as well.

Never, my friend!  

11 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Why would it?  It's a school by school thing!  Trust me, if schools would do the 7 year program they would eventually come across a Championship-Type coach.  May take a long time.  But, also trust me -- doing nothing is not a strategy!  Remember, when you expect nothing -- that's exactly what you get NOTHING!  Example:  Vidor did nothing for 24 years and how did that work out for them?  But -- the consensus is that the Vidor coach is a good guy.

15 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

First of all, the names I mentioned aren't exceptions to the rule.  They also represent a few of many that had great success and then average or below average seasons after at some point.  Even the Great G.A. Moore had some somewhat mediocre seasons mixed in between those title runs.  His last year as a head coach was a losing season.  And you're talking about schools that are powers either beforehand or since said coach left.  Celina, Pilot Point, suburb Austin, Aledo.. are you serious?  Areas of the state that have gone through the most substantial transformations of wealth/growth over the last couple decades anywhere.  Same thing happened in the Beaumont area during the oil boom.  And the Permian Basin area during that oil boom.

I will never not give credit to CT for how he handled WOS prior to the current coach.. but I think it had to do with player management more than anything (a coaching quality no doubt).  Because I was told that this year's WOS team had players walking off the field during games, insanely poor attitudes, etc.  And that might just be the main difference, because like you said and I agree with.. same kids, different coach.  But I don't attribute that to coaching ability (Xs and Os) as much as I do player management.  Time will tell with all of that.

PNG- same sentiment.  Time will tell.  This was a great year for them but they're losing a bunch of seniors.  How confident are you that they'll repeat or somewhat repeat the level of success they had this year?

I personally think Phil Danaher and Tim Buchanan have a very similar qualification to be hired.  Buchanan has an unprecedented 8 state titles... but, at a school with 3 state titles during that same time period when he wasn't head coach.  And almost his entire career was spent at Aledo.  Danaher may not have rings but he has a lot of success at 3 different schools that didn't have anywhere near that level of success without him.  Like I said.. being an elite coach doesn't JUST mean winning state titles.  I'm not gonna sway on that.  You're obviously not going to sway on your opinion.  It is what it is.

There isn't a coach you named that could EVER win a state championship at countless school across the state right now or within 7 years of now.  I'll bet every dollar I've ever made or will ever make on that.  Coincidentally, there are a ton of great coaches right now that could have similar levels of success right now or within 7 years at some schools across the state.

I'm beginning to wonder about your logic.  The people I stated had already won Titles at two different schools.  Now you are saying "countless" State Titles at different schools!  Staying with your logic, no, they couldn't win 1,000.  Silly!

Subject:  Is coaching the most important thing?  Resolved:  Yes -- it's all about coaching!

15 hours ago, KF89 said:

What were the factors that changed for The Elite coaching of Doug Etheridge after 1977 @ PNG with the same type players? Seems he was average coach after that year. My guess would be the players @ PNG from '78-'83 were not as talented as a whole or never understood the skills being taught by his elite coaching techniques like the players from '74-'77. 

Etheridge Records after 1977

'78- 6-4

'79- 4-5-1

'80- 7-3

'81- 3-7

'82- 4-6

'83- 6-3-1

'84- 2-8 @Round Rock

Ethridge has appeared in 4 State Titles and has won 2 of them.  How many State Titles has Neumann and the present Nederland coach appeared and/or won?

After Landry and Lombardi won their last Super Bowls they didn't win any more.  Did they take their Hall Of Fame status away from them?  Of course not!

15 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

First of all, the names I mentioned aren't exceptions to the rule.  They also represent a few of many that had great success and then average or below average seasons after at some point.  Even the Great G.A. Moore had some somewhat mediocre seasons mixed in between those title runs.  His last year as a head coach was a losing season.  And you're talking about schools that are powers either beforehand or since said coach left.  Celina, Pilot Point, suburb Austin, Aledo.. are you serious?  Areas of the state that have gone through the most substantial transformations of wealth/growth over the last couple decades anywhere.  Same thing happened in the Beaumont area during the oil boom.  And the Permian Basin area during that oil boom.

I will never not give credit to CT for how he handled WOS prior to the current coach.. but I think it had to do with player management more than anything (a coaching quality no doubt).  Because I was told that this year's WOS team had players walking off the field during games, insanely poor attitudes, etc.  And that might just be the main difference, because like you said and I agree with.. same kids, different coach.  But I don't attribute that to coaching ability (Xs and Os) as much as I do player management.  Time will tell with all of that.

PNG- same sentiment.  Time will tell.  This was a great year for them but they're losing a bunch of seniors.  How confident are you that they'll repeat or somewhat repeat the level of success they had this year?

I personally think Phil Danaher and Tim Buchanan have a very similar qualification to be hired.  Buchanan has an unprecedented 8 state titles... but, at a school with 3 state titles during that same time period when he wasn't head coach.  And almost his entire career was spent at Aledo.  Danaher may not have rings but he has a lot of success at 3 different schools that didn't have anywhere near that level of success without him.  Like I said.. being an elite coach doesn't JUST mean winning state titles.  I'm not gonna sway on that.  You're obviously not going to sway on your opinion.  It is what it is.

There isn't a coach you named that could EVER win a state championship at countless school across the state right now or within 7 years of now.  I'll bet every dollar I've ever made or will ever make on that.  Coincidentally, there are a ton of great coaches right now that could have similar levels of success right now or within 7 years at some schools across the state.

I think the answer is clear.  But -- I respect your opinion!

On 1/29/2023 at 7:36 AM, AggiesAreWe said:

Why? Coaching is coaching. Elite coaches are in every sport.

Aggie, I want to apologize.  I thought I answered this.  I looked back and answered you on another post.  When I say my thoughts are only for football?  I'm talking about the 7 year program.  

9 hours ago, Reagan said:

Ethridge has appeared in 4 State Titles and has won 2 of them.  How many State Titles has Neumann and the present Nederland coach appeared and/or won?

After Landry and Lombardi won their last Super Bowls they didn't win any more.  Did they take their Hall Of Fame status away from them?  Of course not!

"

Etheridge Records after 1977

'78- 6-4

'79- 4-5-1

'80- 7-3

'81- 3-7

'82- 4-6

'83- 6-3-1

'84- 2-8 @Round Rock"

You still didn't explain that ^.  I need your explanation to why he (AN ELITE COACH) managed a 7 year stretch that you would've fired him for... after winning his 2nd state title.  4 of those 7 years were below .500.  Explain that.

It's not about taking hall of fame status away.. just admitting that he didn't have the players.  Proving that even a great coach can't do it without good players.  Like I've said countless times, Bill Belichick is an average to below average coach without Tom Brady.  79-87 without him, to be exact. 

9 hours ago, Reagan said:

Question had nothing to do with Neuman, Tom Landry or Lombardi. '74-'77 Ethridge had elite head coaching record in Texas at PNG, After '77 Ethridge had average coaching record. What changed was the question? Elite head coaching in high school doesn't  really need many quality players & can win state championships at any school according to you? Biggest factor was level of talent & skilled players declined those years for Ethridge. As elite as his coaching may have been, it did not matter without a good amount of talented players.    

Ah, the same old argument.  Coaching or athletic talent?  They're both equally important in terms of success.  You can take a scrappy bunch of kids w/o a lot of talent and have them beat teams with loads of talent but little coaching.  On the other hand, a lot of times pure athleticism will take a team a long way.  The thing is that both of the teams I've described will be at the house by the third or fourth round.  It takes both of those, plus support from the community.

The one thing that I DO believe is highly overrated is the "facilities."  People always point that out, but the most successful programs  from our area (WOS, Newton, BC) don't have the nicest facilities around. 

59 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Ah, the same old argument.  Coaching or athletic talent?  They're both equally important in terms of success.  You can take a scrappy bunch of kids w/o a lot of talent and have them beat teams with loads of talent but little coaching.  On the other hand, a lot of times pure athleticism will take a team a long way.  The thing is that both of the teams I've described will be at the house by the third or fourth round.  It takes both of those, plus support from the community.

The one thing that I DO believe is highly overrated is the "facilities."  People always point that out, but the most successful programs  from our area (WOS, Newton, BC) don't have the nicest facilities around. 

most successful programs  from our area (WOS, Newton, BC)

😉🤔

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

So why does this "7 year plan" 🙄 only apply to football?

I'm glad you ask this.  In the grand scheme of things, within the community, no one is really concerned who the tennis coach is.  Heck, how many knows who their golf coach is?!   When's the last time someone did a FOI on who are the candidates for the next volleyball HC of any school?  

With that being said:  If the tennis coach is being paid as much as the football HC and the tennis budget was the same as the football budget and a million bond was passed to build a Taj Mahal of a tennis court, then, yes, they would be subjected to the 7 year program.  As always -- the more of taxpayers money that is involved the more is required!

16 minutes ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

most successful programs  from our area (WOS, Newton, BC)

😉🤔

This is why BC should implement my 7 year program.  It'll eventually work.  On the other hand doing nothing will get you just that -- nothing.  As I've told one poster, hope is not a strategy!