Vidor is open !!

lcm93

1 hour ago, VidorPirate said:

anyone know a timeline on this hire?  any news on interviews?  i know an article mentioned possibly waiting for the march board meeting to make an announcement...seems like a long time.

The main thing is you want to get it right.  Don't rush.  Find the best candidate possible.  

12 minutes ago, Reagan said:

And educated you will get!  😁

I found another I'd forgotten about.  Lee Fedora.  He actually embarrassed Coach Thompson and WOS on his way to his first of 2 state titles in Navasota (elite).. and then went to A&M Consolidated for 6 years and couldn't get past the first couple rounds.  What the heck??  That doesn't make sense... He's "elite" so he should've at least gotten back to Austin, right?  I don't understand you're exact way of thinking. 

On 1/26/2023 at 3:47 PM, SmashMouth said:

They were out-athleted. Physical talent, but talent nevertheless. 

Physical talent you say... this made me think of the Physical Speed that the Vidor Pirates have been utilizing under Mathews. 

I think the new coach will have success in the first few seasons if he keeps running the same type of offense. I wouldn't mind seeing a change to something with more multiple formations but the Pirates will have a fully stocked backfield for the next few years. Only question I have is who will emerge as the starting QB but they should have plenty of good options to tote the rock at the RB position.

19 minutes ago, Boneyard Boys said:

Physical talent you say... this made me think of the Physical Speed that the Vidor Pirates have been utilizing under Mathews. 

I think the new coach will have success in the first few seasons if he keeps running the same type of offense. I wouldn't mind seeing a change to something with more multiple formations but the Pirates will have a fully stocked backfield for the next few years. Only question I have is who will emerge as the starting QB but they should have plenty of good options to tote the rock at the RB position.

If you have physical speed you should be in every ballgame, ask @BMTSoulja1 

10 hours ago, VidorPirate said:

anyone know a timeline on this hire?  any news on interviews?  i know an article mentioned possibly waiting for the march board meeting to make an announcement...seems like a long time.

from what ive read, they want a new hire within two months, but mathews wants to acclimate the new coach to the players to make sure the players get settled in and mathews last day is june 1st.

10 hours ago, VidorPirate said:

from what ive read, they want a new hire within two months, but mathews wants to acclimate the new coach to the players to make sure the players get settled in and mathews last day is june 1st.

15 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

So.. elite coaches only exist in football?  Got it.  

Since that the case... When is Tom Westerberg going to win another one?  He's elite according to your thinking. When is Jeff Kasowski going to win another one?  He won 3 in a row at Bremond.. and hasn't been close since 2016.  What happened with Rick Rhoades?  He won 3 at Cameron Yoe and didn't come close for the next 7 seasons. What happened with Rusty Nail?  He won his second title at Mart in 2010.. then didn't win another for 8 years.  Including not even getting close at 3 years in Madisonville.

Explain to me how these elite coaches became worse coaches... 

By the way.. these are just 3 recent examples.  I'm sure there are tons more.

Two of these you mentioned wasn't even there for 7 years.  One, I think, was there for only 3 years.  Depending on how bad the school was they went to not sure they enough time.  Things at Stephenville was so bad it took Briles 6 years to win his first of 4 Titles.  But I'll give you some fat to chew on:  Todd Dodge, Dickie Meeks Emory Bellard, Gordon Wood, G.A. Moore, Doug Ethridge, Jason Herring, Steve Lineweaver, and Chad Morris.  All Elite coaches that won Titles at different schools.  Of course there are many more.  But, the bunch I have stated is the rule.  Yours is the "exception" to the rule.  There's nothing ever in a straight line.  There's always minor detours.  But those are few and far between

Coaching is the most important thing in football.  I think some here found that out when they got the right coach at PNG.  And saw the sad downfall at WOS.  Same kids -- different coach.  Amazing how that works!

I'm sure there are still some that says Matthews and, say, Briles has the same coaching ability.  That it's only the kids that are the difference/problem.   If that's the case, then I still have some work to do here.  But, rest assured I'll not quit until everyone thinks like me!  LOL!  (Grin).

A point again:  As it stands right now, if Calallen could hire either Phil Danaher or Tim Buchanan -- which one would they hire?

On 1/25/2023 at 8:25 PM, vhs said:

So how soon should we expect to see him leading BC to state?  Sounds like he’s the one

You have to get him over there first!   Although they are few and far between, there are potential Surratt's out there.  You just have to keep looking for them.  

On 1/25/2023 at 8:13 PM, Rez Ipsa said:

If Surratt came to Vidor, Vidor would immediately do things it has never done in its history. Nearly all of Vidor’s problems can be solved with coaching. Instead, everyone blames the kids. As if there’s some big genetic difference between Vidor and PNG and Nederland (and when Vidor was in our district, except for the last few years they had the same size school as PNG). Before Hurricane Harvey, Vidor was sitting right at around 1400 kids. All respect to Coach Matthews, but I think Vidor runs their gimmick offense because Coach Matthews doesn’t know how to teach the skills necessary to run anything else. Vidor kids can run whatever their coach can or will teach them to run. Vidor players could blow everyone’s minds if their leadership believed they could. 

Rez Ipsa -- good post!  This is 100% true.  Before Surratt, Carthage had "never" won a State Title.  Surratt won a State Title in his second year!  People that get confused when we state that he could do it at Vidor and BC, they don't have much faith in his coaching ability.  Even after all he accomplished.  Look, I know Vidor and BC has been down for a long time.  These people that get confused are thinking that all coaches are the same.  So they tend to blame the kids!  Think not?  Then why would anybody think, then, that Surratt couldn't be just as successful at Vidor and BC as he is at Carthage?! 

9 hours ago, Reagan said:

Two of these you mentioned wasn't even there for 7 years.  One, I think, was there for only 3 years.  Depending on how bad the school was they went to not sure they enough time.  Things at Stephenville was so bad it took Briles 6 years to win his first of 4 Titles.  But I'll give you some fat to chew on:  Todd Dodge, Dickie Meeks Emory Bellard, Gordon Wood, G.A. Moore, Doug Ethridge, Jason Herring, Steve Lineweaver, and Chad Morris.  All Elite coaches that won Titles at different schools.  Of course there are many more.  But, the bunch I have stated is the rule.  Yours is the "exception" to the rule.  There's nothing ever in a straight line.  There's always minor detours.  But those are few and far between

Coaching is the most important thing in football.  I think some here found that out when they got the right coach at PNG.  And saw the sad downfall at WOS.  Same kids -- different coach.  Amazing how that works!

I'm sure there are still some that says Matthews and, say, Briles has the same coaching ability.  That it's only the kids that are the difference/problem.   If that's the case, then I still have some work to do here.  But, rest assured I'll not quit until everyone thinks like me!  LOL!  (Grin).

A point again:  As it stands right now, if Calallen could hire either Phil Danaher or Tim Buchanan -- which one would they hire?

First of all, the names I mentioned aren't exceptions to the rule.  They also represent a few of many that had great success and then average or below average seasons after at some point.  Even the Great G.A. Moore had some somewhat mediocre seasons mixed in between those title runs.  His last year as a head coach was a losing season.  And you're talking about schools that are powers either beforehand or since said coach left.  Celina, Pilot Point, suburb Austin, Aledo.. are you serious?  Areas of the state that have gone through the most substantial transformations of wealth/growth over the last couple decades anywhere.  Same thing happened in the Beaumont area during the oil boom.  And the Permian Basin area during that oil boom.

I will never not give credit to CT for how he handled WOS prior to the current coach.. but I think it had to do with player management more than anything (a coaching quality no doubt).  Because I was told that this year's WOS team had players walking off the field during games, insanely poor attitudes, etc.  And that might just be the main difference, because like you said and I agree with.. same kids, different coach.  But I don't attribute that to coaching ability (Xs and Os) as much as I do player management.  Time will tell with all of that.

PNG- same sentiment.  Time will tell.  This was a great year for them but they're losing a bunch of seniors.  How confident are you that they'll repeat or somewhat repeat the level of success they had this year?

I personally think Phil Danaher and Tim Buchanan have a very similar qualification to be hired.  Buchanan has an unprecedented 8 state titles... but, at a school with 3 state titles during that same time period when he wasn't head coach.  And almost his entire career was spent at Aledo.  Danaher may not have rings but he has a lot of success at 3 different schools that didn't have anywhere near that level of success without him.  Like I said.. being an elite coach doesn't JUST mean winning state titles.  I'm not gonna sway on that.  You're obviously not going to sway on your opinion.  It is what it is.

There isn't a coach you named that could EVER win a state championship at countless school across the state right now or within 7 years of now.  I'll bet every dollar I've ever made or will ever make on that.  Coincidentally, there are a ton of great coaches right now that could have similar levels of success right now or within 7 years at some schools across the state.

What were the factors that changed for The Elite coaching of Doug Etheridge after 1977 @ PNG with the same type players? Seems he was average coach after that year. My guess would be the players @ PNG from '78-'83 were not as talented as a whole or never understood the skills being taught by his elite coaching techniques like the players from '74-'77. 

Etheridge Records after 1977

'78- 6-4

'79- 4-5-1

'80- 7-3

'81- 3-7

'82- 4-6

'83- 6-3-1

'84- 2-8 @Round Rock

4 minutes ago, KF89 said:

What were the factors that changed for The Elite coaching of Doug Etheridge after 1977 @ PNG with the same type players? Seems he was average coach after that year. My guess would be the players @ PNG from '78-'83 were not as talented as a whole or never understood the skills being taught by his elite coaching techniques like the players from '74-'77. 

'78- 6-4

'79- 4-5-1

'80- 7-3

'81- 3-7

'82- 4-6

'83- 6-3-1

'84- 2-8 @Round Rock

Always wondered about that.  My theory, he had surrounded himself with some outstanding assistance Coaches, and like a team, together they made things happen.  Split them up and the above record is what you ended up with.

7 minutes ago, KF89 said:

'78- 6-4

'79- 4-5-1

'80- 7-3

'81- 3-7

'82- 4-6

'83- 6-3-1

'84- 2-8 @Round Rock

None of that will matter to him.  Etheridge is "elite".

6 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

None of that will matter to him.  Etheridge is "elite".

Of course not. Same type players, same great community support & same elite coaching but not the state title winning results as '77 the other 10 years. 

21 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Always wondered about that.  My theory, he had surrounded himself with some outstanding assistance Coaches, and like a team, together they made things happen.  Split them up and the above record is what you ended up with.

I agree. Also good % amount of overall # of skilled, talented & tough players decreased.

This stuff isn’t that hard…reality is that you need both, coaching and talent…too many folks live in a world of absolutes, saying “it’s all the kids” or “it’s all the coaching “ when neither is true…great coaches have bad years and talented teams fail to meet expectations all the time

il assure you this, there ain’t many no talent teams winning championships but plenty of very talented ones who have success, but don’t win the whole thing