Vidor is open !!

lcm93

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

I'll give you the floor.  After seeing/knowing WOS' performance this year, do you feel that this coach has what it takes to win a State Title?  

Same athletes. Didn't excell in new system. New system didn't fit. Mistakes were made on the sidelines. Learning process by both. Expect dominance to return. Someday?

This has gone way off topic but it's fun.

You don’t get the success west orange had (/will continue to have if they right the ship) on talent alone. You just can’t reliably have enough talent in such a small sample size for so long and across so many generations to build an entire program on genetics. Coaching and system have so much more to do with it than just “let’s hope we get a good crop this year.” 

4 hours ago, Reagan said:

I'll give you the floor.  After seeing/knowing WOS' performance this year, do you feel that this coach has what it takes to win a State Title?  

I was making light of the person who said the coach must win state in so many years or else. That’s ridicules. An elite program like WO-S only has 4 state championships, Newton only 5. There are 62 teams that start out in each division, only one is crowned. 

38 minutes ago, purpleeagle said:

I was making light of the person who said the coach must win state in so many years or else. That’s ridicules. An elite program like WO-S only has 4 state championships, Newton only 5. There are 62 teams that start out in each division, only one is crowned. 

Yup, Reagan/Smitty is the person who started that, so you know exactly how ridiculous it is. 😎

25 minutes ago, purpleeagle said:

4 out of 46 ain't bad. Took Hooks 6 years and Thompson 5.

BTW, there are about 100 teams per division.

7 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

While you're at it, explain the theory behind 7 years. Why not 5? Why not 6? Why not 8? Why not 9?

Also, if you were the supt., would you recommend that Silsbee ISD hire a new head football coach since Coach Smith has been there for 7 seasons and no state championship yet?

The 7 year number is not an arbitrary number.  I looked at actual Elite coaches to see what their basic time frame was when winning a Title.  The average was 4 years.  So, not being a total cad, I added 3 years.  Now, this is for those that want to have a standard, philosophy if you wish.  There aren't that many, at any given time, Elite coaches.  I would say 10-15%.  So the chances of a school sitting on a coach for, say, 24 years, and wanting a State Title is not very good.  Burnett, Neumann, Faircloth, and Matthews, well, I pretty well knew a State Title was not in their future after 7 years.  Again, if there are only around 10% that will become Championship coaches, then the turnover has to begin in order to find one.  Now, I'll say again, that's only if a certain school district is concerned with winning a Title.  If they are not really concerned, then by all means hang on to a coach for 30 years and see if a Title is produced.  Now, well some be missed, like Barbay at Newton?  Absolutely.  But that's the price of have a standard and sticking with it.  But this would be a very small percentage that you would miss.  There aren't that many coaches that become Elite coaches after 20 or 30 years.  

Now, as for as the Silsbee coach:  I actually had him penciled in for a ring this year.  But was really surprised when they got eliminated.  So, if a plan was in place, then yes, he would be replaced.  He hasn't done it in 7 years.  So what makes us think he can do it in 20 or 30 years?  But, again, that's left up to Silsbee and if they even care about a State Title.  

10 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

I know.  I'm hoping you repeat your thoughts on this for the folks in the conversation that weren't last time.  And also make you think a little deeper about your assessment of what makes an elite coach.

No changes in my thoughts on this.  The Elite coach category is mine.  In order to gain entrance one must have 2 or more State Titles.  Now, Danaher is a great coach, no doubt.  But one must always wonder:  After all those years and all those wins why no State Titles?  If I remember right, one of the previous posters that supposedly was close to the action, said Calallen was like the tallest midget in the room.  Then in the playoffs they couldn't urinate in the tall weeds with the big dogs.  Being a Championship coach is not easy.  If it was then everybody would have 10 or 20.  But -- membership is exclusive.   One has to have that extra "something" to win multiple Championships.  

Let me put this question out to all:  As it stands right now, which coach would Calallen hire -- Phil Danaher or Tim Buchanan?  Pretty clear to me!  But...

10 hours ago, BigEnosBurdette said:

Your thoughts, logic, reasoning, whatever is flawed… BIG time! LCM Coach not a championship type coach… maybe not, maybe he is. Took WB to a state game… took LCM however many rounds deeps… you ever stop think teams just run into someone better?!?!…. Nope! You’d have to come down from lala land 😂 You can have the greatest coaches but ultimately it’s up to the players! They put on the pads, they step between lines, not the coaches.

BigNoseburdette:  I wonder if any players past and present at Vidor knows you blame them for Vidor's football failures?  I bet you've never been ask to be guess speaker at one of their athletic banquets!    :)

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

BigNoseburdette:  I wonder if any players past and present at Vidor knows you blame them for Vidor's football failures?  I bet you've never been ask to be guess speaker at one of their athletic banquets!    :)

Dm let’s chat one on one since your comprehension is that if a 1st grader. I’ll spell it out in all caps and bold letters or are you that big bad keyboard warrior that nuts up when confronted 🤔

10 minutes ago, BigEnosBurdette said:

Dm let’s chat keyboard warrior or you want to keep your insults anonymous PAB?

No insult, my friend.  Just using your on words.  Say what you mean or mean what you say.   Or do you not remember your last couple of your sentences?!   LOL!   

1 minute ago, Reagan said:

No insult, my friend.  Just using your on words.  Say what you mean or mean what you say.   Or do you not remember your last couple of your sentences?!   LOL!   

Friend… nah. I meant what I said but I’m sorry you’re lacking in the comprehension department. And I also meant what I said about DM’ing me to talk or keep punching those keys

6 minutes ago, BigEnosBurdette said:

Friend… nah. I meant what I said but I’m sorry you’re lacking in the comprehension department. And I also meant what I said about DM’ing me to talk or keep punching those keys

My friend, your words:  " it’s up to the players! They put on the pads, they step between lines, not the coaches."

This is fairly simple to understand.  You blame the kids and not the coaches when the job doesn't get done.  So, connecting the dots Vidor has players!  So, you blame...

1 minute ago, Reagan said:

My friend, your words:  " it’s up to the players! They put on the pads, they step between lines, not the coaches."

This is fairly simple to understand.  You blame the kids and not the coaches when the job doesn't get done.  So, connecting the dots Vidor has players!  So, you blame...

He, she, it whatever pronouns you use… go back to watching videos, eating Cheetos in your beater and hanes 

4 minutes ago, Reagan said:

I go through key boards quite often!  (Grin)

6 minutes ago, Reagan said:

And if you could pull your head out of your a$$, you’d be able to comprehend that I am not blaming the kids or coaches.

FYI… I’ll clear my schedule when you start meeting with school boards and enlightening that they only have a 7yr window… always up for a good laugh

16 hours ago, Reagan said:

No changes in my thoughts on this.  The Elite coach category is mine.  In order to gain entrance one must have 2 or more State Titles.  Now, Danaher is a great coach, no doubt.  But one must always wonder:  After all those years and all those wins why no State Titles?  If I remember right, one of the previous posters that supposedly was close to the action, said Calallen was like the tallest midget in the room.  Then in the playoffs they couldn't urinate in the tall weeds with the big dogs.  Being a Championship coach is not easy.  If it was then everybody would have 10 or 20.  But -- membership is exclusive.   One has to have that extra "something" to win multiple Championships.  

Let me put this question out to all:  As it stands right now, which coach would Calallen hire -- Phil Danaher or Tim Buchanan?  Pretty clear to me!  But...

I’m going to use a local example from a different sport of two men I think do a great job with what they have at what they try to do.

Coach Joubert at Kountze and Coach Sutherland at EC.  Both with 2 or more state titles (elite according to you).  Both well over 7 years since their last state title.  Kountze, coincidentally, is fighting for a playoff spot (4th place).  Are they worse coaches than they were? Please explain.

8 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

I’m going to use a local example from a different sport of two men I think do a great job with what they have at what they try to do.

Coach Joubert at Kountze and Coach Sutherland at EC.  Both with 2 or more state titles (elite according to you).  Both well over 7 years since their last state title.  Kountze, coincidentally, is fighting for a playoff spot (4th place).  Are they worse coaches than they were? Please explain.

My thoughts are for football only!

On 1/25/2023 at 1:24 PM, Reagan said:

Let's see:  There was anxiety, foaming at the mouth and down right hyperventilating when the PNG coach left.  The chant was: how could they get rid of this excellent coach?!  Then, all of a sudden -- it got quite.  Even to the point of saying -- Faircloth who?  Lumberton was wallowing around in mediocrity until this past year.   WOS has for many, many years been known for their football.  But what happened this year?

On the first two, did the athletes just start showing up when these new coaches did?  How about at WOS, did the WOS-type athletes just stop showing up when the new coach did?  NO!!  It's just more examples what the right, or wrong, coach can do.  

What does this have to do with Vidor:  It's a template of what to do and what not to do.  But -- are they paying attention?!

You’re perversion with state title or bust is sickening, and quite honestly, a very stupid take.  We all know this.

Joesph lost the title, so don’t that make him a failure?

Can’t wait to see your take if they go 11-2 or 10-3 and fall short of the title game.

On 1/28/2023 at 11:39 PM, Reagan said:

My thoughts are for football only!

So.. elite coaches only exist in football?  Got it.  

Since that the case... When is Tom Westerberg going to win another one?  He's elite according to your thinking. When is Jeff Kasowski going to win another one?  He won 3 in a row at Bremond.. and hasn't been close since 2016.  What happened with Rick Rhoades?  He won 3 at Cameron Yoe and didn't come close for the next 7 seasons. What happened with Rusty Nail?  He won his second title at Mart in 2010.. then didn't win another for 8 years.  Including not even getting close at 3 years in Madisonville.

Explain to me how these elite coaches became worse coaches... 

By the way.. these are just 3 recent examples.  I'm sure there are tons more.