Vidor is open !!

lcm93

2 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Why is it harder to believe that Vidor has capable kids than it is to believe that the coaching could be better ? 

We have very capable kids… however we are CLEARLY undersized versus nearly every team we play… anyone who has watched much Vidor football can see that easily… why is it so hard to see that Mathews and his system has helped Vidor see VASTLY more success than at any other time in their history… just the last 12 years alone were far more successful than any other 12 year period in Vidor history… 68-56… 7 playoff appearances and two district titles (one in 5A)… We’d love to see deep playoff runs every year… but Vidor just like nearly all other high schools for a number of reasons hasn’t had that kind of success for a number of reasons

the way some of you are acting you’d think Vidor was the only team in Region 5 that doesn’t go 3 rounds every year… heck I don’t even remember when some of these schools were relevant… Lumberton put together a nice run this season and looks strong for one more season… but overall they’ve been her cellar dweller for the last couple decades… BC has struggled to find any solid footing and apparently they brought in a wizard to bring them back to the promised land but alas even the highly touted gurus can’t turn them around… so I’d love to see that magical combination of talent, speed, size, coaching, and attitude hit Vidor… but it’s just not as simple as some of you paint it

11 hours ago, Reagan said:

In bold -- ABSOLUTELY!  None of the schools that Surratt, Buchanan and Briles were at ever won a State Championship.  If you are not sure what happened after they arrived at their respective schools then I'd do a little research and swing around back to us.  Before he arrived, the school Briles was at was pretty bad off.  Could even be said it would equate, or even worse, to what's going on at Vidor.   So, yes, again, coaching does matter.  Now, with that being said, will Vidor get a Championship-type coach?  The odds are against it.  But, they are out there.  That's why a school must keep trying.  

I’ve asked you this before.. but will ask again for the folks in this conversation. And before I do.. not I or anyone else am taking anything away from the obvious knowledge and capabilities of the coaches you mentioned.

If it’s all about coaching, why don’t the same coaches win state championships every year? Literally.. every single year.

9 hours ago, vhs said:

We have very capable kids… however we are CLEARLY undersized versus nearly every team we play… anyone who has watched much Vidor football can see that easily… why is it so hard to see that Mathews and his system has helped Vidor see VASTLY more success than at any other time in their history… just the last 12 years alone were far more successful than any other 12 year period in Vidor history… 68-56… 7 playoff appearances and two district titles (one in 5A)… We’d love to see deep playoff runs every year… but Vidor just like nearly all other high schools for a number of reasons hasn’t had that kind of success for a number of reasons

the way some of you are acting you’d think Vidor was the only team in Region 5 that doesn’t go 3 rounds every year… heck I don’t even remember when some of these schools were relevant… Lumberton put together a nice run this season and looks strong for one more season… but overall they’ve been her cellar dweller for the last couple decades… BC has struggled to find any solid footing and apparently they brought in a wizard to bring them back to the promised land but alas even the highly touted gurus can’t turn them around… so I’d love to see that magical combination of talent, speed, size, coaching, and attitude hit Vidor… but it’s just not as simple as some of you paint it

I can’t think of another fan base that shows up to argue “y’all don’t understand… we’re losers. Always have been, always gonna be.” 

I’m over here arguing that we can be great from time to time if we could get some coaching, community support, and more of our athletes to play football AND baseball.  

Vidor posters have made it clear that there are no expectations of success in the community over there.  

6 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I can’t think of another fan base that shows up to argue “y’all don’t understand… we’re losers. Always have been, always gonna be.” 

I’m over here arguing that we can be great from time to time if we could get some coaching, community support, and more of our athletes to play football AND baseball.  

Vidor posters have made it clear that there are no expectations of success in the community over there.  

How on earth did you get there?  Spend five minutes around the Pirate faithful and you’ll see just how charged up we are to see our kids succeed… Coach Mathews brought the program to new heights and has laid the groundwork for more success moving forward… excited to see who takes the reins from here and see how far they can take the program 

16 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

There are always and will always be exceptions to the rule.  Especially when a school gets a run of D1 commits through the program.  Either way.. it's documented that household income, school tax base, and poverty correlate to success in athletics.  To ignore that is just naïve.  You should take a field trip to other areas of the state and look at what poor schools are competing with.  State of art facilities, immaculate neighborhoods, brand new businesses, etc.  Player A (6'4 220) has two working parents, attends summer camps/workouts around the country, has a dietician, has a personal trainer, has a private tutor, has 24hr access to the nicest facilities money can buy, has 3+ of the most nutritious meals imaginable that are specifically designed for health/performance, and has a team full of friends/teammates with the same exact life.  Player B (6'4 220) has to work summers/weekends to help around the house, can't afford sports camp, eats whatever happens to be in the house, lifts/trains alone in a 30 year old weight room when he can find a ride, has zero teammates willing to put in extra work with him.

Who has the head start, Player A or Player B?  If you don't think that and similar scenarios play out across the state... you're either ignorant or stubborn.

This is the hidden content, please

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

Nederland was in that boat before Neumann showed up, he showed them a different path.  Look at Neds record for the 20 years before 1994.  And I am not backing Reagan's off the wall theories, they also had some talent come up through the ranks during those years.  But you have to know how to use that talent as well.

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

I can’t think of another poster that does not belong on this thread. BC is a dumpster fire… worry about y’all first then Vidor 😉

If you would have been around the Vidor football program in the early, mid, late 90’s, you’d see that we have come a long ways… real long ways! And there is and has been a buzz in the air surrounding Vidor football with Coach Mathews as the leader. Have we won much in his time as AD/HC yes and no BUT to you and a few other posters, only true success is measured by trophies not by the lessons young men and women have learned. and I guarantee those lessons learned will take any of them further in life than a high school win/loss record. 

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

There are always and will always be exceptions to the rule.  Especially when a school gets a run of D1 commits through the program.  Either way.. it's documented that household income, school tax base, and poverty correlate to success in athletics.  To ignore that is just naïve.  You should take a field trip to other areas of the state and look at what poor schools are competing with.  State of art facilities, immaculate neighborhoods, brand new businesses, etc.  Player A (6'4 220) has two working parents, attends summer camps/workouts around the country, has a dietician, has a personal trainer, has a private tutor, has 24hr access to the nicest facilities money can buy, has 3+ of the most nutritious meals imaginable that are specifically designed for health/performance, and has a team full of friends/teammates with the same exact life.  Player B (6'4 220) has to work summers/weekends to help around the house, can't afford sports camp, eats whatever happens to be in the house, lifts/trains alone in a 30 year old weight room when he can find a ride, has zero teammates willing to put in extra work with him.

Who has the head start, Player A or Player B?  If you don't think that and similar scenarios play out across the state... you're either ignorant or stubborn.

Player B are the Dawgs. Give me the team of dawgs. They are battle tested and have to face adversity.....to me this statement was a prime example in the state championship game that was just played vs png and the oak team...

8 minutes ago, setxathlete14 said:

Player B are the Dawgs. Give me the team of dawgs. They are battle tested and have to face adversity.....to me this statement was a prime example in the state championship game that was just played vs png and the oak team...

Lol talent won that game 🤦🏼‍♂️ SOC had more talent… not because player A has access to more than B. 

35 minutes ago, setxathlete14 said:

The scenario I gave represents a percentage.  What is it with people not understanding odds and liklihoods?.. That doesn't make it certain.  Did you even read the article?

Well here's another article... and the reason SOC won more so than anything else:

1 hour ago, BigEnosBurdette said:

Lol talent won that game 🤦🏼‍♂️ SOC had more talent… not because player A has access to more than B. 

Forgive me if I missed it. I didn't see an overwhelmingly more talented team there.

I stopped at the top of the article. Newton and WOS and could say PAM are prime examples if why I personally dont agree with it. Poverty school kids are DAWGS. Just ask coach prime

7 minutes ago, setxathlete14 said:

Forgive me if I missed it. I didn't see an overwhelmingly more talented team there.

I stopped at the top of the article. Newton and WOS and could say PAM are prime examples if why I dont agree with it.

If you couldn’t see talent take over in the 2nd half of the PNG vs SOC game, then you have no business discussing football. 

Just now, setxathlete14 said:

You're right. Having a discussion about seeing talent with a vidor faithful sets the bar higher than everyone else. 🤣

You’re saying the talent was equal between the 2 teams on both sides of the ball?!?! If so… you just made yourself look like a … not going to say it. 🤦🏼‍♂️ 

and being faithful to a school does not limit your ability to seeing and not seeing a difference in talent. 

Good try setxwannabeathlete 

20 minutes ago, setxathlete14 said:

I stopped at the top of the article. Newton and WOS and could say PAM are prime examples if why I personally dont agree with it. Poverty school kids are DAWGS. Just ask coach prime

SOC has 7 top 100 recruits.  How many does PNG have?  So.. you may not see the talent, but colleges do.  

2 minutes ago, BigEnosBurdette said:

You’re saying the talent was equal between the 2 teams on both sides of the ball?!?! If so… you just made yourself look like a … not going to say it. 🤦🏼‍♂️ 

and being faithful to a school does not limit your ability to seeing and not seeing a difference in talent. 

Good try setxwannabeathlete 

Png wasn't out-talented as much as they were out schemed and out dawged when adversity struck..

Just now, setxathlete14 said:

Png wasn't out-talented as much as they were out schemed and out dawged when adversity struck..

Spin however you want but talent took over in the second half. SOC had/has the better athletes and that was 98% the deciding factor of the outcome of the game. But what do I know… can’t see talent 

6 minutes ago, setxathlete14 said:

Jeez.  Read slowly...

SOC..........HAS..........7..........TOP..........100..........RECRUITS.

Do you understand what it's saying when it says TOP 100 recruits?  You aren't heavily recruited by "out dawging" somebody.  It's speed, strength, skill, size, or all of them. 

4 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Jeez.  Read slowly...

Do you understand what it's saying when it says TOP 100 recruits?  You aren't heavily recruited by "out dawging" somebody.  It's speed, strength, skill, size, or all of them. 

You give people books (articles) and all they do is look at the pictures 😂

40 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Jeez.  Read slowly...

And?  Colleges miss all the time on so called "5 star or top 100 recruits" .  So does the NFL on 1st round picks.   Mahomes was a 3 star. Josh Allen was unranked and went to a CC first.   Kyler Murray was #1 QB recruit in the nation and look how he turned out.   Same for Sam Darnold (#5).   The point is the ranking system is subjective and is actually more accurate on the defensive side vs the offensive side.