Vidor is open !!

lcm93

27 minutes ago, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

Vidor was in 22-5A with Beaumont Central, Beaumont West Brook, Baytown Lee, Baytown Sterling, Deer Park & La Porte up until the year Mathews took over. It's a variable that's seldom overlooked  

You are 110% WRONG lol… Vidor dropped down to 20-4A the ‘96 football season with Pat Murphy as the HC (5-5). 1997 season was still in 20-4A with Johnson as HC (2-8).

You can measure a coaches successes in many ways, by wins, championships, or in lives changed. Wins are good, Championships are great, but there is no substitute to changing a young athletes life. I’ll take a good coach who can mold a young athletes life, over a great coach that gets wins but doesn’t connect with his players. 

51 minutes ago, OGVillain said:

You can measure a coaches successes in many ways, by wins, championships, or in lives changed. Wins are good, Championships are great, but there is no substitute to changing a young athletes life. I’ll take a good coach who can mold a young athletes life, over a great coach that gets wins but doesn’t connect with his players. 

You hit the nail on the head. Mathew’s doesn’t have the trophy case all these posters do but he most definitely changed the lives of many young men. 

He was the best thing that has ever happen to Vidor football in my memory.  Always positive.  Stands were always full.  Personally, I didn't know the guy, but I know he was well respected all around SE Texas. You don't have to go deep in the playoffs to have an affect on these young men.  God speed Coach Matthews.

1 hour ago, A BUC 77 said:

He was the best thing that has ever happen to Vidor football in my memory.  Always positive.  Stands were always full.  Personally, I didn't know the guy, but I know he was well respected all around SE Texas. You don't have to go deep in the playoffs to have an affect on these young men.  God speed Coach Matthews.

he got rid of the I-10 vidor-0 saying for the most part.

7 hours ago, pine curtain said:

he got rid of the I-10 vidor-0 saying for the most part.

To many of us still remember that score.  Many of you younger folks don’t remember it, but it dies hard.  Hope you younger folks never have to endure it, but if you do, right or wrong you’ll celebrate a 5-5 season.

I sure hope we get someone in here that will implement a fast paced spread attack.  I heard we had multiple guys run 4.4 - 4.65 in the 40 this year.  I mean, look at our linemen, they are built for 2 pt stances and pass setting.  In the spread, we will beat LCM by at least 4 tds.

some of you all are hilarious.  we don't have to be slot-t, but we defenitly need to be run based and ball control on offense.  that is the best defense we have.

1 minute ago, VidorPirate said:

I sure hope we get someone in here that will implement a fast paced spread attack.  I heard we had multiple guys run 4.4 - 4.65 in the 40 this year.  I mean, look at our linemen, they are built for 2 pt stances and pass setting.  In the spread, we will beat LCM by at least 4 tds.

some of you all are hilarious.  we don't have to be slot-t, but we defenitly need to be run based and ball control on offense.  that is the best defense we have.

Vidor in the spread. Id love to see that multiple guys on every team run 4.4.- 4.65🤣🤣

On 1/22/2023 at 4:11 PM, OGVillain said:

Spot on! Post of the year. 

I would change the wording in the last sentence just a bit.

I’ll take a good coach who can mold a young athletes life, over a great coach that gets wins but sets a bad example by his behavior. 

14 minutes ago, Reagan said:

If Lumberton can do it, I don't see why Vidor couldn't do it.  Again, same type of athletes.  But, the Slot-T and Wing-T are good offenses.  As always, just need the right coach to coach it.  

yet no one on vidors team runs under anywhere close to 4.4-4.65.  Lumberton has 5-6 guys faster than anyone we have.  Add to the fact the size of the offensive and defensive lines.  In a couple years, L-town will be back to the same guys as us and we will see how the spread works then

On 1/22/2023 at 4:11 PM, OGVillain said:

Coaches all over the state are fired all of the time for not producing in the "W" column... even if they greatly impact the lives of the players they coach.  

11 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Coaches all over the state are fired all of the time for not producing in the "W" column... even if they greatly impact the lives of the players they coach.  

Correct, does that mean it’s the right decision. There is more to being a High School Coach than just Wins. But debatable!

2 minutes ago, OGVillain said:

Correct, does that mean it’s the right decision. There is more to being a High School Coach than just Wins. But debatable!

Not the right decision in my opinion.  Sometimes change is necessary for various reasons.. but wins/losses are influenced by much more than the ability to coach.  Many times, coaches only have what they have and nobody could've done any better.  But making boys into good citizens, that's quite a feat.