Trip Down Memory Lane

Hagar

Believe it or not, a trip to Beaumont was a big deal in my youth.  When I was about 5 or 6 (early 1950’s) we’d make a trip into downtown Beaumont.  During Christmas It was much like the start of a Christmas Story.  Looking at the windows of Kress’s, Woolworth, and Morgan & Lindsey’s.  Going in & seeing all the toys and decorations.  Every time I see that movie I think of those days.  As I got older my sister (6 years older than me) would get to see a movie at the Jefferson and Liberty Theaters.  In those days safety wasn’t a problem.  In that respect, it was “the good old days”.  I suspect some of you have the same fond memories. 

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

Believe it or not, a trip to Beaumont was a big deal in my youth.  When I was about 5 or 6 (early 1950’s) we’d make a trip into downtown Beaumont.  During Christmas It was much like the start of a Christmas Story.  Looking at the windows of Kress’s, Woolworth, and Morgan & Lindsey’s.  Going in & seeing all the toys and decorations.  Every time I see that movie I think of those days.  As I got older my sister (6 years older than me) would get to see a movie at the Jefferson and Liberty Theaters.  In those days safety wasn’t a problem.  In that respect, it was “the good old days”.  I suspect some of you have the same fond memories. 

Yes, I remember well (sometimes). Gateway killed downtown Beaumont. Sears & Roebuck used to turn their basement into their Christmas shopping spot. The store was on Broadway and Magnolia. Building is still there. Heard about something called a mall in Houston. Think it was Gulfgate. Couldn’t believe you could put all those stores together under one roof. Later came Parkdale Mall (a proposed site for the Astrodome) and it practically killed Gateway. Lot of places are gone now. 11th street and College used to be a circle. Circle drive-in was where Conn’s offices are on College. I could go on, but that’s enough for now. 

1 hour ago, baddog said:

Yes, I remember well (sometimes). Gateway killed downtown Beaumont. Sears & Roebuck used to turn their basement into their Christmas shopping spot. The store was on Broadway and Magnolia. Building is still there. Heard about something called a mall in Houston. Think it was Gulfgate. Couldn’t believe you could put all those stores together under one roof. Later came Parkdale Mall (a proposed site for the Astrodome) and it practically killed Gateway. Lot of places are gone now. 11th street and College used to be a circle. Circle drive-in was where Conn’s offices are on College. I could go on, but that’s enough for now. 

Yup, left out Sears.  If I had a dollar for every time I rode the escalator there, I’d be rich, lol.  It was a real novelty back then.  High faluting for SETX back then.

22 hours ago, Hagar said:

In addition to Sears and the Toy land, the streets in Beaumont were completely lined down and across the streets with lights put up by the city.

There were very few parking lots and we usually had to walk up and down the blocks. I don’t know if anyone even locked their vehicles.

There were lots of faults back then but safety was not one of them. 

20 hours ago, Hagar said:

Yup, left out Sears.  If I had a dollar for every time I rode the escalator there, I’d be rich, lol.  It was a real novelty back then.  High faluting for SETX back then.

You and me had to have crossed paths and didn’t know it. Steak and Egg, Sears escalator, probably the Fair (the real fairgrounds)…

Lots of things have changed in Beaumont, just like anywhere else. 11th street used to be “The Drag”. Taking out the circle killed that. Used to be a Gandy’s restaurant on 11th (think that was the name), Popeye’s Chicken used to be a McDonald’s. Laurel and Liberty streets were opposite one-way than they are today. Carnation’s Ice Cream changed to a foot doctors office. Gaylynn theater and shopping center is now part of St. Elizabeth. Showtown is now a golf practice range. South Park drive-in is now a parking lot for plant contractors. I remember Cardinal Drive when it was only the access roads. Lots more, but my fingers are tired.

55 minutes ago, baddog said:

You and me had to have crossed paths and didn’t know it. Steak and Egg, Sears escalator, probably the Fair (the real fairgrounds)…

Lots of things have changed in Beaumont, just like anywhere else. 11th street used to be “The Drag”. Taking out the circle killed that. Used to be a Gandy’s restaurant on 11th (think that was the name), Popeye’s Chicken used to be a McDonald’s. Laurel and Liberty streets were opposite one-way than they are today. Carnation’s Ice Cream changed to a foot doctors office. Gaylynn theater and shopping center is now part of St. Elizabeth. Showtown is now a golf practice range. South Park drive-in is now a parking lot for plant contractors. I remember Cardinal Drive when it was only the access roads. Lots more, but my fingers are tired.

Made 11th street many’s a time.  Take the circle to the Pig Stand on College then circle back to the Pig Stand on 11th.  Thursday or Friday afternoon was clean & make the car shine.  When I got the Plymouth Fury it was out to the frontage road passed Don’s Seafood to race a challenger. Glad they weren’t worried about green energy, lol.  Burnt up many a gallon of gas in those days, lmbo.

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2023 at 11:55 PM, WOSdrummer99 said:

This is the hidden content, please

Lol, didn’t need a map, just follow the clean & waxed cars with mag wheels and dual exhaust.  If I had a dollar for every time I made that trip, we’d all be rich.  Gas mileage?  No worries mate.  That 383ci 4bbl Plymouth Fury got 13mpg, but it was a short trip. Lol!