Useless Information - Trivia

Hagar

16 hours ago, baddog said:

Took a swat at a carpenter bee once, missed him, and he flew about 50 yards and was immediately back in my face. Couldn’t put a watch on that, but I thought it was amazing.

Used to catch dragonflies as a kid on the schoolyard with a crab . The ones with big blue heads were cool looking. Used to catch them by hand on things they would light on. The small green ones were impossible.

Now, to answer Hagar’s last question. I would guess Stephen King, but it would be one I haven’t read. 

Your confusion is understandable.

An insect flying at 35mph will cover the 50 yards in 2.90 seconds. An insect flying at 25mph would cover that distance in 4.01 seconds.

Without anticipating a accurate speed test, it would be difficult for a person being surprised by a beetle to take note of the 1.11 second time difference. 
🙃

13 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Your confusion is understandable.

An insect flying at 35mph will cover the 50 yards in 2.90 seconds. An insect flying at 25mph would cover that distance in 4.01 seconds.

Without anticipating a accurate speed test, it would be difficult for a person being surprised by a beetle to take note of the 1.11 second time difference. 
🙃

Now that’s legitimate trivia information there. 

George Jones lived in Vidor.  I went with is niece for a little bit way back when.  She lived in the Big Sandy area, and we went to see him.

BTW If I remember right, he rode his lawn more to the liquor store and got stopped by police.  I may be wrong.

Don't forget Mark Chestnut is from Beaumont.

He used to have a house on 1131, about 2 miles from 105 (or so the story goes).  The guy had so many hit songs.  And he was right - Who’s going to fill their shoes?   Half of todays country songs would’ve been rock songs back in the 60’s.

12 hours ago, Hagar said:

He used to have a house on 1131, about 2 miles from 105 (or so the story goes).  The guy had so many hit songs.  And he was right - Who’s going to fill their shoes?   Half of todays country songs would’ve been rock songs back in the 60’s.

This is the hidden content, please

I am a semi-expert in WWII and have probably read 40 plus books on it.

One of which was The Longest Day by Cornelius Ryan which was a detailed account of Operation Overlord from the reasoning for it, the deceptions by the Allies, the assault, etc. and in researching it, Ryan interviewed many people who were directly involved from both sides of the battle. If anyone watches the great movie by the same name, you will see lines in the movie that came directly from Ryan’s interviews.

Ryan also wrote the equally well researched book, also later made into a great movie, A Bridge Too Far about Operation Market-Garden. 

If anyone actually reads history anymore, Walter Lord wrote Day of Infamy about the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Much like Cornelius Ryan,  Lord uses the same technique of interviewing people involved including civilians and family members and details the sequence of events that led up to the attack. This was not merely the preparations by the Japanese but also the political events such as the American embargo on raw materials to Japan for invading China and refusing to end that war.

Also like Ryan, it is an easy to read book and not just page after page of technical and boring details. These books are very interesting with the personal stories by the people involved but at the same time giving details that you almost don’t even notice. A made up example (since it has been years since I’ve read the book) might be like: “General Eisenhower had to make the decision on when to give orders to the assault fleet which was comprised of 5,000 craft of all types”.

So while talking about General Eisenhower‘s agonizing decision, the number of assault ships could be woven into the story without simply listing data. 

In the battle at Chosin Resovoir, Marine General Oliver Smith made a famous quote.

Question is, what was that quote?

Does not have to be word for word.  Just give it your best shot.

PS; tvc, give the others a day or two.  I’m 99% sure you know it.