Useless Information - Trivia

Hagar

My daughter often refers to me as a Walking Encyclopedia of Useless Knowledge.  That saId, I figured this would be a great Forum thread.  Probably easy to use the internet, but give folks a chance, say a week.  If you know, or think you know, PM me with the answer.  I’ll acknowledge the winner, and the winner will get a prize (a Mason jar of fresh Evadale air you can breathe to your hearts content).  
😂😂😂 👽👽👽😂😂😂

First question - What made the expression “10-4” famous?

Btw, my opinion is final unless someone flat proves me wrong, cause it’s based on my knowledge, or lack thereof.

We used to dispatch many/most police calls in 10 codes.

We were supposed to transition away from 10 codes a couple of decades ago but a few still linger.

With my badge number… “184 10-17, in reference to 10-15 with possible 10-32”

Now it would be… “184 speak to John Smith in reference to a disturbance with a person,  possibly armed with a knife”

What mostly changed is that the types of calls or most no longer in code. Like 10-10/Fight, 10-15/Distbance, etc. although a 10-50/Vehicle accident is still common. If you told one of our officers today to check on a 10-15 with possible 10-10, you would probably just as well be speaking Japanese.

Codes that my agency (and all police agencies are different in codes, policy and culture) still uses to make it short, sweet and with no ambiguity are like 10-32 (supposed to mean armed person but most often a firearm) or 10–18 (quickly as possible). If an officer says I need EMS 10-18, it means a person needs medical assistance 5 minutes ago. When the football player Hamlin went down last night on Monday Night Football, that would be EMS 10-18. 

If it is in reference to the officer himself it typically means I am in deep trouble like Help 10-18 or I need backup 10-18…. usually accompanied by his/her voice going up an octave or two.

9-11 demonstrated the problem with codes as multiple agencies were talking in code probably without realizing that there are several different codes including 10 codes. Some agencies use the words like Code or Signal such as Signal Zero or Code 4 to differentiate from 10 codes. My department has a 5 code for a call disposition with 5 always being the first number like 518 or 521. It means nothing to anyone else. A 518 is short for, see report or, I am writing a report in reference to my call such as robbery, burglary, etc. A 521 means, settled or…. I dealt with these two idiots and I got them to calm down with no more intervention needed. :)

Back when codes first came out (1930s) and most police agencies could only talk to themselves, it really didn’t matter what a code meant. When I retired 18 months ago I had something like 64 radio channels to speak to any fire department, police department, chemical plant emergency operations, etc. in this area. 

The winner, tvc184 (another old timer).  Back in the 50’s there was a tv series called Highway Patrol with Broadwick Crawford.  He’d start raining out 10-4’s so much you’d feel the spittle on your face, lol.

And that my friends is useless information, lol.  It’s hard to find a question not easily assessable to a Google lookup.  I’ll work on another.

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

The winner, tvc184 (another old timer).  Back in the 50’s there was a tv series called Highway Patrol with Broadwick Crawford.  He’d start raining out 10-4’s so much you’d feel the spittle on your face, lol.

And that my friends is useless information, lol.  It’s hard to find a question not easily assessable to a Google lookup.  I’ll work on another.

I also remember Car 54, Where Are You? It was the first place that I remember seeing Herman Munster when he was just Officer Muldoon.

When I first started on patrol we didn’t have badge numbers and only went by our unit number. I was assigned to Car 84. 🙂 🙃

And they probably never knew where I was….

And speaking of badge numbers….

About 4 years after I started, we finally got a computer system and started issuing permanent badge numbers beginning with 110 and progressing by seniority. Originally the numbers 96-99 were reserved for the command staff. The 96, 97 and 98 were division commanders and 99 was the chief. Those were not permanent badge numbers but just a means of knowing who was doing the talking.

My permanent badge number picked by seniority? 184… which is coincidentally part of my screen name. So my original unit number 84 eventually became my permanent badge number of 184. 

When a few years later we got semi-permanent locker and mailbox numbers after I left detectives, I was assigned 84.

And when was I hired? January, 1984 or…. 1/84. 

3 hours ago, tvc184 said:

I also remember Car 54, Where Are You? It was the first place that I remember seeing Herman Munster when he was just Officer Muldoon.

When I first started on patrol we didn’t have badge numbers and only went by our unit number. I was assigned to Car 84. 🙂 🙃

…..and “Ooh Ooh” Gunther Toody

4 hours ago, tvc184 said:

I still remember all the words to the Car 54 song.  What happened yesterday?  Don’t have a clue, lol.  More useless knowledge..

Here’s one that’ll send y’all running to Google.

When the Beatles first got to #1 on the charts with “I Want To Hold Your Hand”, they retained #1 in England until what song/group took over with ******* %%% §§§§ by ¥¥¥ §§§§§§§§.

Hint, was an English group.  Btw, heard this many years ago via Al Caldwell, so the right (?) answer is based on that and my feeble memory.  Good luck with that, lmbo.  Google may be different but we’re going with Caldwell & Hager’s memory.  
😂😂😂👽👽👽😂😂😂

14 hours ago, Hagar said:

Here’s one that’ll send y’all running to Google.

When the Beatles first got to #1 on the charts with “I Want To Hold Your Hand”, they retained #1 in England until what song/group took over with ******* %%% §§§§ by ¥¥¥ §§§§§§§§.

Hint, was an English group.  Btw, heard this many years ago via Al Caldwell, so the right (?) answer is based on that and my feeble memory.  Good luck with that, lmbo.  Google may be different but we’re going with Caldwell & Hager’s memory.  
😂😂😂👽👽👽😂😂😂

I’ll guess The Rolling Stones with “Satisfaction”