Who has the best chance to make it to state next season?

lcm93

On 3/17/2023 at 6:44 PM, 89Falcon said:

I dont disagree with anything you have said. Columbus seems like a definite factor based upon the results that you stated. Woodville and Diboll also played Franklin close. As previously mentioned, CS beat Diboll and played Woodville down to the wire.

Lorena certainly deserves consideration as well but no one other than Franklin is without question marks which would serve to accentuate the point that the Region is not "stacked" and could be had if a team "such as CS" were to significantly improve (which I anticipate they will). 

CS has the vast majority of a competitive team back (includes key skill players) and will add at least one impact player that will upgrade the box on both sides of the ball. 

Franklin was playing with their line up for the first 7 weeks of the season. Putting pieces in different places to see what works and still winning while doing this. Also the team was young on defense with only 5 starters back from the season before. Going by the Woodville and Diboll games that was played week 1 and 3 doesn't make sense. I have no ill will towards Coldspring but they would have to have improved a ton since the last time I seen them play. Only meetings between Coldspring and Franklin in recent years was in 18-19 and 19-20 (Franklin mainly 90% freshman and sophomores) which Coldspring was out scored 103-0. I hope I'm wrong and we can meet in the playoffs this next season. I like to see them do well when we are not playing them. But Lorena brings back a ton and was young as well was Columbus and Hitchcock. Region 3 is the best in the state in 3ad1. By no means will it be a cake walk for anyone and everyone will have to bring it every week or will be sent home week 1 of the playoffs

1 hour ago, lionpride08 said:

Franklin was playing with their line up for the first 7 weeks of the season. Putting pieces in different places to see what works and still winning while doing this. Also the team was young on defense with only 5 starters back from the season before. Going by the Woodville and Diboll games that was played week 1 and 3 doesn't make sense. I have no ill will towards Coldspring but they would have to have improved a ton since the last time I seen them play. Only meetings between Coldspring and Franklin in recent years was in 18-19 and 19-20 (Franklin mainly 90% freshman and sophomores) which Coldspring was out scored 103-0. I hope I'm wrong and we can meet in the playoffs this next season. I like to see them do well when we are not playing them. But Lorena brings back a ton and was young as well was Columbus and Hitchcock. Region 3 is the best in the state in 3ad1. By no means will it be a cake walk for anyone and everyone will have to bring it every week or will be sent home week 1 of the playoffs

I think everyone has agreed that Franklin is the team to beat. Matchups from 4 years ago are irrelevant. Last year results are somewhat relevant but by no means a guaranteed indicator either. The Region goes through Franklin but everybody else is in play.

2 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

I think everyone has agreed that Franklin is the team to beat. Matchups from 4 years ago are irrelevant. Last year results are somewhat relevant but by no means a guaranteed indicator either. The Region goes through Franklin but everybody else is in play.

only reason i brought up 4-5 years ago was because the record does not stand out. In the last 5 years Coldspring went 5-5, 7-3, 8-3, 5-5, 3-8. When I think of teams to beat in Region 3 other then Franklin I think of Columbus, Lorena, Hitchcock, Cameron. I do think that Anahuac will be the most improved team in region 3 next year.

41 minutes ago, lionpride08 said:

only reason i brought up 4-5 years ago was because the record does not stand out. In the last 5 years Coldspring went 5-5, 7-3, 8-3, 5-5, 3-8. When I think of teams to beat in Region 3 other then Franklin I think of Columbus, Lorena, Hitchcock, Cameron. I do think that Anahuac will be the most improved team in region 3 next year.

Understood, Hitchcock has a worse record over the same timeframe. Not sure I am following the logic. Columbus and Lorena are definitely big fish in the region. As stated, Coldspring is returning nearly the entire team and will upgrade over what lost on the OL/DL. Expect them to be much improved. Time will tell on how far they can make it in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, 89Falcon said:

Understood, Hitchcock has a worse record over the same timeframe. Not sure I am following the logic. Columbus and Lorena are definitely big fish in the region. As stated, Coldspring is returning nearly the entire team and will upgrade over what lost on the OL/DL. Expect them to be much improved. Time will tell on how far they can make it in the playoffs. 

Hitchcock has had a better record over the past 5 years. 31 wins for Hitchcock while Coldspring is at 28. Hitchcock also is coming off a 11-2 year and made it 3 rounds while Coldspring went 5-5 and missed the playoffs. Like i said no ill will towards Coldspring I just don't see how they will make that jump to winning or in the region championship when the top 5 teams had young teams

4 minutes ago, lionpride08 said:

Hitchcock has had a better record over the past 5 years. 31 wins for Hitchcock while Coldspring is at 28. Hitchcock also is coming off a 11-2 year and made it 3 rounds while Coldspring went 5-5 and missed the playoffs. Like i said no ill will towards Coldspring I just don't see how they will make that jump to winning or in the region championship when the top 5 teams had young teams

I dont think you mean ill-will to Coldspring. 

However, did 3 consecutive "non-winning" seasons stop Hitchcock from going 11-2? and becoming a "team to beat" (by your words)? The previous 5 seasons for Hitchcock were worse than the five you identified for Coldspring and yet (all of a sudden) they became a "team to beat"? 

The basis of your point is diminished because one of the teams you identify as a "team to beat" had a worse 5-year span than Coldspring prior to being 11-2. This would indicate that it is possible for Coldspring with a much better 5-year span than what Hitchcock had prior to last season to "also go 11-2" or better? 

6 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

I dont think you mean ill-will to Coldspring. 

However, did 3 consecutive "non-winning" seasons stop Hitchcock from going 11-2? and becoming a "team to beat" (by your words)? The previous 5 seasons for Hitchcock were worse than the five you identified for Coldspring and yet (all of a sudden) they became a "team to beat"? 

The basis of your point is diminished because one of the teams you identify as a "team to beat" had a worse 5-year span than Coldspring prior to being 11-2. This would indicate that it is possible for Coldspring with a much better 5-year span than what Hitchcock had prior to last season to "also go 11-2" or better? 

Had you asked me last season if Hitchcock was a team to beat I would have told you no. Because the prior year was not good. Same for CS. Win district and others may pay attention. Another thing is while Hitchock improved from 4-7 to 11-2 Coldspring went from 7-3 to 5-5. So what is to make anyone think they will be a contender? I'm saying Hitchcock because they are a young team that brings back everyone that went 3 rounds deep last season. They have shown signs of improvement while CS has not. So tell me what makes CS contenders now after losing more games then the previous season.

1 hour ago, lionpride08 said:

Had you asked me last season if Hitchcock was a team to beat I would have told you no. Because the prior year was not good. Same for CS. Win district and others may pay attention. Another thing is while Hitchock improved from 4-7 to 11-2 Coldspring went from 7-3 to 5-5. So what is to make anyone think they will be a contender? I'm saying Hitchcock because they are a young team that brings back everyone that went 3 rounds deep last season. They have shown signs of improvement while CS has not. So tell me what makes CS contenders now after losing more games then the previous season.

my friend, if I were you I wouldn't waste any more of your time on the ruse that 89Falcon(as in Huffman Hargrave Falcons) has going. it's not one bit sincere. 

she/he/it (whatever the case) seems to think that all have forgot the nonstop bashing of CS that took place.

so much so, that several asked/told/warned it to layoff.  had first joined the site 89 had.  you decide my friend  Just wanted to make you aware of the BS.

take care.

23 minutes ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

my friend, if I were you I wouldn't waste any more of your time on the ruse that 89Falcon(as in Huffman Hargrave Falcons) has going. it's not one bit sincere. 

she/he/it (whatever the case) seems to think that all have forgot the nonstop bashing of CS that took place.

so much so, that several asked/told/warned it to layoff.  had first joined the site 89 had.  you decide my friend  Just wanted to make you aware of the BS.

take care.

Pondering about my post, if it wasn't Coldspring then for certain it was Tarkington(Cleveland) he bashed. Either way, it is what it is.

5 hours ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

Pondering about my post, if it wasn't Coldspring then for certain it was Tarkington(Cleveland) he bashed. Either way, it is what it is.

Keep pondering. You have your facts significantly distorted. What exactly is the issue now? Am I "bashing" someone or "supporting" someone? Are we not allowed to express support either? 

8 hours ago, lionpride08 said:

I have stated many times what will make things different for Coldspring this year. The entire team that was comprised of sophomores/juniors is back. A few youthful mistakes less, and 5-5 would have been 9-1 last year. The only game they were handled in was HF. They also have an incoming freshman lineman that will add to the production at the LOS on both sides of the ball. 

I agree that CS must win to be considered a contender (just like Hitchcock had to do coming off their losing 21 season, which they did). The reason I inserted CS into the discussion is because I know what they have coming up this year. If I did not know, I might be taking your position. 

I was chastised by most on here early last year for saying "Dayton would jump from 2-8 to contending for the district and playoffs" as well. Dayton improved from 2-8 to 7-3. Time will tell, and you can remember what I said. But I am confident in my prediction. 

2 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

5-5 would have been 9-1 last year. The only game they were handled in was HF.

Shepherd was the only other team that manhandled the Trojans this past season. (Which that was a surprise in itself.)  I've watched all of Coldspring games this past season and your right a few mistakes being corrected and they would have been 9-1 or because of the Shepherd loss 8-2 at the most.  But back to what I've said and seen this past season I just don't see them going no further than the first round and just going by eye test this particular season I see them being the 3rd or 4th place team as the majority of the teams in the district will lose players this season. We will have our work cut out for us no doubt but competing in a district like this it's very doable.

1 hour ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Sounds extremely familiar.

Since the prediction for Dayton worked so well. Can you make a prediction for my Mustangs?

It would be nice to play y'all again. We have a tie-breaker in the all time series between our teams (2-2) that needs to be settled and addressed.  I was looking at the archives yesterday looking at the 2011 playoff thread against these 2 teams and I forgot that thread was pretty live.

5 minutes ago, TrojanWarrior08 said:

In this instance he's rooting for us but I don't care who pulls for us this season coming up we need all the support we can get.

Just for clarification, I have never had a negative word to say about CS. Dirty is clueless on this, as in most instances. 

6 hours ago, TrojanWarrior08 said:

It would be nice to play y'all again. We have a tie-breaker in the all time series between our teams (2-2) that needs to be settled and addressed.  I was looking at the archives yesterday looking at the 2011 playoff thread against these 2 teams and I forgot that thread was pretty live.

I'd like that too. Looks like yall got the last 2 in 09 and 11

Imagine thinking you can predict the success of a high school football team based on the previous 5 years.  Literally 5 groups of seniors gone and 2 and a half potential classification changes. Not to mention move ins, possible injuries, coaching changes, etc..

This is hilarious.  I'm patiently waiting for the conversation to turn to who has a better personality based on astrological sign. 

This has, "we're gonna be good because we won a state title in the 80s" vibes all over it.

55 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Imagine thinking you can predict the success of a high school football team based on the previous 5 years.  Literally 5 groups of seniors gone and 2 and a half potential classification changes. Not to mention move ins, possible injuries, coaching changes, etc..

This is hilarious.  I'm patiently waiting for the conversation to turn to who has a better personality based on astrological sign. 

This has, "we're gonna be good because we won a state title in the 80s" vibes all over it.

Or the 70s in some cases. 

2 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

well Jasper is gonna be good cause almost exactly 20 years ago in 2004 the DAWGS had a State Championship appearance.   

😉😄