District favorites for 2023 (any District)?

lcm93

Here are my way-too-early predictions.

9-5ADII:

1. PN-G
  2. Fort Bend Marshall
  3. Dayton
  4. Texas City

The second and third seeds are interchangeable. Texas City has the talent to do better. We'll see whether they can pair it with the coaching and execution. Until then, I think the Stingarees are the perennial fourth seed. I feel confident the Indians take the district championship next year. Jeff Joseph is building something in Port Neches. And I hate to say this (honestly), but I don't think Nederland will return to its winning ways next year.

10-4ADI:

1. LC-M
  2. Lumberton
  3. Vidor
  4. Livingston

Same as 9-5ADII. The top three are interchangeable. LC-M is my dark horse pick to win district next year. This will be Peevey's third season at the helm of the program, and I think we're going to start to see it pay off.

9-4ADII:

1. Silsbee
  2. Jasper
  3. WO-S
  4. H-F

I don't enjoy saying this. I don't think we're going to see WO-S at the top of the district again until they bring back the Mustang defense. You know, the real one. Until then, I just don't see Silsbee losing the district crown, or Jasper being dethroned as runner-up.  Hamshire-Fannett could fall out of the playoff line-up, but I suspect we'll see the Longhorns turn into the recurring fourth seed in this district.

I'm still debating the 6A and 5ADI standings. I only feel confident saying two things at this time: (1) PAM will be a contender as always (and I really hope they make a deeper run next year); and (2) I don't think West Brook or United will make much noise.

3 minutes ago, PN-G bamatex said:

9-5ADII:

1. PN-G
  2. Fort Bend Marshall
  3. Dayton
  4. Texas City

The second and third seeds are interchangeable. Texas City has the talent to do better. We'll see whether they can pair it with the coaching and execution. Until then, I think the Stingarees are the perennial fourth seed. I feel confident the Indians take the district championship next year. Jeff Joseph is building something in Port Neches.

10-4ADI:

1. LC-M
  2. Lumberton
  3. Vidor
  4. Livingston

Same as 9-5ADII. The top three are interchangeable. LC-M is my dark horse pick to win district next year. This will be Peevey's third season at the helm of the program, and I think we're going to start to see it payoff.

9-4ADII:

1. Silsbee
  2. Jasper
  3. WO-S
  4. H-F

I don't enjoy saying this. I don't think we're going to see WO-S at the top of district again until they bring back the Mustang defense. Until then, I just don't see Silsbee losing the district crown, or Jasper being dethroned as runner-up.  Hamshire-Fannett could fall out of the playoff line-up, but I suspect we'll see the Longhorns turn into the perennial fourth seed in this district.

I'm still debating the 6A standings. I only feel confident saying two things at this time: (1) PAM will be a contender as always (and I really hope they make a deeper run next year); and (2) I don't think West Brook or United will make much noise.

Well I agree except 9-4A

Jasper

Silsbee

H-F 

WOS

And I say this cause Jasper has 19 starters back and Silsbee lost their QB. Don’t sleep on H-F there JV dominated every team they played. Not one team scored on them in District what I was told. Trying to confirm this. Jasper had 13 Sophomores and 1 freshman starting and Silsbee won on a botched catch. And helped Miller by double teaming. Jasper JV QB is only player on JV that will be moving up next year that will start. Very good arm but had no help on line. JMO Gonna be exciting year for sure. 

17 minutes ago, PN-G bamatex said:

9-5ADII:

1. PN-G
  2. Fort Bend Marshall
  3. Dayton
  4. Texas City

The second and third seeds are interchangeable. Texas City has the talent to do better. We'll see whether they can pair it with the coaching and execution. Until then, I think the Stingarees are the perennial fourth seed. I feel confident the Indians take the district championship next year. Jeff Joseph is building something in Port Neches. And I hate to say this (honestly), but I don't think Nederland will return to its winning ways next year.

10-4ADI:

1. LC-M
  2. Lumberton
  3. Vidor
  4. Livingston

Same as 9-5ADII. The top three are interchangeable. LC-M is my dark horse pick to win district next year. This will be Peevey's third season at the helm of the program, and I think we're going to start to see it pay off.

9-4ADII:

1. Silsbee
  2. Jasper
  3. WO-S
  4. H-F

I don't enjoy saying this. I don't think we're going to see WO-S at the top of the district again until they bring back the Mustang defense. You know, the real one. Until then, I just don't see Silsbee losing the district crown, or Jasper being dethroned as runner-up.  Hamshire-Fannett could fall out of the playoff line-up, but I suspect we'll see the Longhorns turn into the recurring fourth seed in this district.

I'm still debating the 6A standings. I only feel confident saying two things at this time: (1) PAM will be a contender as always (and I really hope they make a deeper run next year); and (2) I don't think West Brook or United will make much noise.

I agree with 9-5A except flip Fort Bend Marshall and PN-G Marshall has a ton of talented underclassmen that should be enough for them to repeat as district Champs, totally agree about Nederland I expect more of the same next year 

In Region 2:

8-5A D1 District Championship should be between Port Arthur Memorial and Barbers Hill IMO unless BH just implodes before late October (game is in Mont Belvieu next season btw) but I expect the Titans to have the longer playoff run if fairly healthy. 

1. Port Arthur Memorial

2. BH

3. LP 

4. Crosby

7-5A D1 I think will be a little more interesting. 😁

1 hour ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

I agree with 9-5A except flip Fort Bend Marshall and PN-G Marshall has a ton of talented underclassmen that should be enough for them to repeat as district Champs, totally agree about Nederland I expect more of the same next year 

That is about right for 2023. Dayton will taking the top spot for the next few years after.

5 hours ago, PN-G bamatex said:

9-4ADII:

1. Silsbee
  2. Jasper
  3. WO-S
  4. H-F

Despite what some are saying, WOS will be much more prepared with a full off season to teach new system. Jasper get another season of the new coach too, who made tremendous improvements as i expect more of the same. Silsbee losing some guys, just not Miller. Who's there QB, transfer? HF gets the 4th seed easily over the bottom of the district.

1. Jasper
  2. WOS 
  3. Silsbee 
  4. H-F

10 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Despite what some are saying, WOS will be much more prepared with a full off season to teach new system. Jasper get another season of the new coach too, who made tremendous improvements as i expect more of the same. Silsbee losing some guys, just not Miller. Who's there QB, transfer? HF gets the 4th seed easily over the bottom of the district.

1. Jasper
  2. WOS 
  3. Silsbee 
  4. H-F

Miller is a junior right now. I believe they are losing 8 seniors. Losing the linebacker, QB and. Wr. I cant think of anyone els. Qb roy Jenkins. Offers 

1 hour ago, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

Miller is a junior right now. I believe they are losing 8 seniors. Losing the linebacker, QB and. Wr. I cant think of anyone els. Qb roy Jenkins. Offers 

This is the hidden content, please

Kid looks solid. If he can play. Is it for sure that he will be eligible?

Their 15 starters coming back just made me rethink my original projection.

5 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

This is the hidden content, please

Kid looks solid. If he can play. Is it for sure that he will be eligible?

Their 15 starters coming back just made me rethink my original projection.

According to @AggiesAreWe westbrook is fighting it. He played for kelly as freshman.  He is enrolled in silsbee

7 hours ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

I hear you. Marshall will be talented, as always. I recognize that Marshall has a great shot at another district crown.

We've got talent coming up the ranks, too. A lot of the younger talent saw a lot of playing time this year, owing to the outstanding job Coach Joseph does of substituting in the reserves to keep the starters fresh, and to the six extra games we got in during the playoffs.

Three key differences between when we met Marshall the first time in September and when we met Marshall two and a half weeks ago. First, the district game was at Marshall, whereas the playoff game was at a neutral site with a whole lot more PN-G fans in the stands. Second, when we played Marshall the first time this year, our kids hadn't fully bought into Coach Joseph's system yet. They definitely did so by the time we met Marshall in the playoffs. Third, we played Marshall the first time at 1 PM on a Saturday afternoon. The temperature on the field was well over 100 degrees, and according to my sources, Marshall only provided the visiting team with eight cases of water.

Knowing those differences, let's project next year's game. First, it will be a home game for the Indians with 7-8K PN-G fans in the stands. Second, Joseph will have had a stellar first season and a full offseason to get the kids fully acclimated to his style of play, not to mention better conditioned. Third, it's an evening game, and we practically breathe water in Jefferson County thanks to all that humidity.

I like our odds. 😎

2 minutes ago, PN-G bamatex said:

I hear you. Marshall will be talented, as always. I recognize that Marshall has a great shot at another district crown.

We've got talent coming up the ranks, too. A lot of the younger talent saw a lot of playing time this year, owing to the outstanding job Coach Joseph does of substituting in the reserves to keep the starters fresh, and to the six extra games we got in during the playoffs.

Three key differences between when we met Marshall the first time in September and when we met Marshall two and a half weeks ago. First, the district game was at Marshall, whereas the playoff game was at a neutral site with a whole lot more PN-G fans in the stands. Second, when we played Marshall the first time this year, our kids hadn't fully bought into Coach Joseph's system yet. They definitely did so by the time we met Marshall in the playoffs. Third, we played Marshall the first time at 1 PM on a Saturday afternoon. The temperature on the field was well over 100 degrees, and according to my sources, Marshall only provided the visiting team with eight cases of water.

Knowing those differences, let's project next year's game. First, it will be a home game for the Indians with 7-8K PN-G fans in the stands. Second, Joseph will have had a stellar first season and a full offseason to get the kids fully acclimated to his style of play, not to mention better conditioned. Third, it's an evening game, and we practically breathe water in Jefferson County thanks to all that humidity.

I like our odds. 😎

There's humidity anywhere in Southeast Texas that's no advantage...the 1st is a maybe considering PN-G only lost one ballgame at home this year...I'll give you the 2nd one Coach Joseph is a good coach as long as he keeps that coaching staff PN-G should be good

8 hours ago, PN-G bamatex said:

9-5ADII:

1. PN-G
  2. Fort Bend Marshall
  3. Dayton
  4. Texas City

10-4ADI:

1. LC-M
  2. Lumberton
  3. Vidor
  4. Livingston

9-4ADII:

1. Silsbee
  2. Jasper
  3. WO-S
  4. H-F

I'm still debating the 6A and 5ADI standings. I only feel confident saying two things at this time: (1) PAM will be a contender as always (and I really hope they make a deeper run next year); and (2) I don't think West Brook or United will make much noise.

I have no basis for predicting the 4A preseason favorites. WRT 9-5ADII, any of the 4 listed could end up on top IMO, and Santa Fe could perhaps end up in the mix as well. 

Regarding the two games between PNG and FBM, the neutral field and neutral Refs I think was the biggest factor. In the playoff game FBM picked up where they left off with holding and unsportsmanlike conduct and the resulting flags were costly. Other factors are almost too numerous to count. But to just list two more, the prior week was PNG's bye week, and the starting RB #25 was injured in a weekend ATV accident and was subsequently out for the season. Regarding the heat on the field, IMO, PNG players were in better shape than FBM, just solely based on numbers of players down when the game got into the 4th qtr. 

Speaking of USL Conduct flags, the Texas City team gave up lots of key yards to PNG before their coach finally called the team to the side and (presumably) read them the riot act. Otherwise they were a pretty good team, IMO. 

Regardless, my pre-pre-season picks for 9-5ADII would be the same as yours. I hope PNG wins district next year. 

8-5A D1

PAM

Crosby

BH

La Porte 

The Crosby BH game the last two years has come down to the final play of game to decide it. Crosby tying then winning 2 years ago, Crosby losing by going for 2 this year. I think Crosby turns those fortunes around this year. Kade Eudy got some very big snaps this year as a Junior and has a full offseason for the offense to focus on him. He has a sweet arm and we will see what the coaches develop around him. I expect Crosby might again be pretty young next year with several sophomores making varsity and playing meaningful minutes. Most the O and D Line are back and hopefully the strength and conditioning coach just has permeant video in the weight room of them being manhandled by King, BH, KWP, and Longview. 

I think some of the linemen at Crosby rested on their laurels last year and it showed up big time on film. Crosby is successful next year if those young men build their bodies this off season and really focus on becoming 5AD1 linemen. In this classification you cannot be undersized, and understrengthen and expect to scheme your way out of games. It all starts in the weight room. 

PAM should be the clear favorite, 3 deep playoff run, only lost to the State Semifinalist and it seems that State Semifinals was the real state championship game given the butt whooping Aledo brought out in the championship game.  

Crosby tends to reload skill positions and I'm hopeful they will do that. We do return our top two running backs but lose our top 4 receiving threats. Defensively we know what we have in the middle of the field and that kid looks like he wants it just as bad as any player I've seen. When you say he's the heart and soul of the defense you're not exaggerating it felt like 80% of the big plays made by the defense this year were him. (MINUS some great safety work.) 

No reason to be down on the Cougars next year. I think this district is all about the top two because otherwise you get Lancaster or Longview in the first round and no one wants to play those teams round one. 

PAM has a tendency to PAM a game away each year I think this year that would be a huge problem if it happened against Crosby or BH. 

14 hours ago, 1970 said:

I have no basis for predicting the 4A preseason favorites. WRT 9-5ADII, any of the 4 listed could end up on top IMO, and Santa Fe could perhaps end up in the mix as well. 

Regarding the two games between PNG and FBM, the neutral field and neutral Refs I think was the biggest factor. In the playoff game FBM picked up where they left off with holding and unsportsmanlike conduct and the resulting flags were costly. Other factors are almost too numerous to count. But to just list two more, the prior week was PNG's bye week, and the starting RB #25 was injured in a weekend ATV accident and was subsequently out for the season. Regarding the heat on the field, IMO, PNG players were in better shape than FBM, just solely based on numbers of players down when the game got into the 4th qtr. 

Speaking of USL Conduct flags, the Texas City team gave up lots of key yards to PNG before their coach finally called the team to the side and (presumably) read them the riot act. Otherwise they were a pretty good team, IMO. 

Regardless, my pre-pre-season picks for 9-5ADII would be the same as yours. I hope PNG wins district next year. 

So, do you believe that the refs in the first match between PNG/FBM were residents of Fort Bend or FBM alumni? Ended up with "non-alumni" refs in the neutral game? 

My experience has been that referees are very seldom from the town/community where they are officiating each week. Many of them drive great distances to cover matches. I am unaware of any crews that only officiate games in their hometown. 

4 hours ago, Cougtalk said:

8-5A D1

PAM

Crosby

BH

La Porte 

The Crosby BH game the last two years has come down to the final play of game to decide it. Crosby tying then winning 2 years ago, Crosby losing by going for 2 this year. I think Crosby turns those fortunes around this year. Kade Eudy got some very big snaps this year as a Junior and has a full offseason for the offense to focus on him. He has a sweet arm and we will see what the coaches develop around him. I expect Crosby might again be pretty young next year with several sophomores making varsity and playing meaningful minutes. Most the O and D Line are back and hopefully the strength and conditioning coach just has permeant video in the weight room of them being manhandled by King, BH, KWP, and Longview. 

I think some of the linemen at Crosby rested on their laurels last year and it showed up big time on film. Crosby is successful next year if those young men build their bodies this off season and really focus on becoming 5AD1 linemen. In this classification you cannot be undersized, and understrengthen and expect to scheme your way out of games. It all starts in the weight room. 

PAM should be the clear favorite, 3 deep playoff run, only lost to the State Semifinalist and it seems that State Semifinals was the real state championship game given the butt whooping Aledo brought out in the championship game.  

Crosby tends to reload skill positions and I'm hopeful they will do that. We do return our top two running backs but lose our top 4 receiving threats. Defensively we know what we have in the middle of the field and that kid looks like he wants it just as bad as any player I've seen. When you say he's the heart and soul of the defense you're not exaggerating it felt like 80% of the big plays made by the defense this year were him. (MINUS some great safety work.) 

No reason to be down on the Cougars next year. I think this district is all about the top two because otherwise you get Lancaster or Longview in the first round and no one wants to play those teams round one. 

PAM has a tendency to PAM a game away each year I think this year that would be a huge problem if it happened against Crosby or BH. 

Flip BH and Crosby 😃 BH was very young this year and will be returning the house. We will be much improved with experience, so not sure how a young Crosby team can get the prediction over BH next year. PAM stays in the 1 spot until dethroned, but hopefully there isn’t a tropical storm in BH this year to decide it 😂

19 minutes ago, BHFAN said:

Flip BH and Crosby 😃 BH was very young this year and will be returning the house. We will be much improved with experience, so not sure how a young Crosby team can get the prediction over BH next year. PAM stays in the 1 spot until dethroned, but hopefully there isn’t a tropical storm in BH this year to decide it 😂

According to max preps your losing 7 seniors on defense that played at least 9 games for the team this year. Seems your best three defensive players are returning tho. Guess we will see. Also, Losing your top running back. 

Should BH be better than Crosby next year? On paper given this season yea. Will they? I don't have that faith in the ant mound but I'm sure you do. 

I think Crosby will get quite a bit better defensively. The big question is what wide outs will we have given the number of seniors we just lost. 

3 hours ago, Cougtalk said:

According to max preps your losing 7 seniors on defense that played at least 9 games for the team this year. Seems your best three defensive players are returning tho. Guess we will see. Also, Losing your top running back. 

Should BH be better than Crosby next year? On paper given this season yea. Will they? I don't have that faith in the ant mound but I'm sure you do. 

I think Crosby will get quite a bit better defensively. The big question is what wide outs will we have given the number of seniors we just lost. 

Got to have faith🤩 I think we will plug another RB in , so no worries there. Crosby will have Dixon next year once he is eligible, so that should help on the wide outs. 

8 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

So, do you believe that the refs in the first match between PNG/FBM were residents of Fort Bend or FBM alumni? Ended up with "non-alumni" refs in the neutral game?   

My experience has been that referees are very seldom from the town/community where they are officiating each week. Many of them drive great distances to cover matches. I am unaware of any crews that only officiate games in their hometown. 

No, to both of your questions. I had no thoughts at all that the refs at FBM were residents of FB, or that they were FBM alumni, just that they were hesitant to throw flags. The refs in the 2nd game threw flags. But, it don't matter now, and my memory of both games has already gotten fuzzy, anyway. 

Re your second sentence, yes, I know that, but thanks for the info.  I had two co-workers back in the 70's that were Refs for Jr High and JV games, and some smaller 1A or 2A games too if I recall correctly. They had to travel all over, and got games with smaller attendance, and they blamed it on their seniority. One of guys did get to call some pre-season scrimmages at 1 or 2 of the bigger schools; back then 4A may have been the biggest division. I don't know if the Refs now get a %-age of the gate.