Coaches on the Move

Bobcat1

On 1/13/2023 at 2:05 PM, outanup said:

Coach Joseph did a jam up job, no doubt…. Hats off to him and his staff… with that said he won’t be in Port Neches in 7 years…. You can take that to the bank.

We'll see.

Either way, we'll still have Dodge's number in seven years. 😎

1 hour ago, CougarCal said:

How did PNG get it so right? Was it the Dodge effect?  Barbers Hill has tried twice and these schools are very similar except for the growth that is happening in BHISD. They went with a big name and don’t have much to show for it as compared to a couple of other schools in the area.

You are not really asking about PNG. You are here trying to make a jab about BH. Dude is long gone, ancient history. No one cares about Westerberg except Crosby posters, no one else brings him up. Ever notice that? BH is pretty content right now. 

On 1/5/2023 at 8:50 AM, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

Jeff Mathews leaving ? 🤞

Keep your fingers crossed & be careful what you wish for. If you think your going to get another son of Gary Joseph, a spread offense & a trip to Jerry’s World, you need to think again. I don’t know if you have walked the halls of Vidor High School? Even someone saying the OC from Liberty Hill, not going to happen! Why would he? Please educate me. 

38FA316D-4C1A-44A1-9F53-35EC55A4C73C.jpeg

I  truly believe that a coach should get a minimum of 35 years to figure out how to do their job and nobody should expect them to know what they are doing . I also believe the same about all other professions such as commercial airline pilots , train engineers, cruise boat captains  . presidents etc. They will figure it out eventually, no biggie

3 hours ago, OGVillain said:

So your opinion is he has no idea what he is doing. Then LC-M being 0-2 vs Vidor since Peevey has taken over… What does that say for him? 

I know he's not made a State Title appearance.  But has he ever won an out-right District Championship at Vidor?

11 hours ago, OGVillain said:

So your opinion is he has no idea what he is doing. Then LC-M being 0-2 vs Vidor since Peevey has taken over… What does that say for him? 

Like I've said many times before matthews is NOT just there because of his wins and losses and nor is coach peevey. Its the character of the program. The effort. The spirit. The lessons you're teaching the young kids. As far as character and effort goes. You'll be hard to find many better than coach Matthews.

10 hours ago, Reagan said:

I know he's not made a State Title appearance.  But has he ever won an out-right District Championship at Vidor?

I’m not sure, I do know he has shared a few District titles. He has taken Vidor to more playoff games than any coach ever had before. He cared enough about the kids & community to turn down other jobs & keep striving to build things where he is. Unlike others that bounce from job to job chasing the next big thing. 

On 1/14/2023 at 2:41 PM, Separation Scientist said:

You are not really asking about PNG. You are here trying to make a jab about BH. Dude is long gone, ancient history. No one cares about Westerberg except Crosby posters, no one else brings him up. Ever notice that? BH is pretty content right now. 

I just looked back at your record all the way back to 2012, unless maxpreps is wrong, BH made it to the 3rd only once during that timeframe.  There have been 2 schools now that after making head coaching changes they went deep into the playoffs the second year.  BH probably pays a lot more than either of those schools and didn’t see the same success.  It isn’t a jab, it is fact. 2nd round success is sufficient, got it!

3 hours ago, CougarCal said:

I just looked back at your record all the way back to 2012, unless maxpreps is wrong, BH made it to the 3rd only once during that timeframe.  There have been 2 schools now that after making head coaching changes they went deep into the playoffs the second year.  BH probably pays a lot more than either of those schools and didn’t see the same success.  It isn’t a jab, it is fact. 2nd round success is sufficient, got it!

Faircloth took PNG to the 3rd round 5 times

When a high school coach has a great year in the first year they're there, they did it with someone else's kids.  Players that were technically developed by the coach/coaches that were there before they took the job.  Same thing could be said about college/pro.  Unless... they're bringing their own players or players showed up the same year.  Or... something as simple as a league/classification change literally makes all the difference in the world.  That's happened so many times that it can't even be imagined.  Which is another conversation.  It is definitely plausible to assume that they changed the system or used the players in a different capacity... but they're still not "their" players.

However.. when a coach does have significant time to actually develop players and implement a system and set of expectations... that doesn't mean that the players will have championship caliber ability.  Maybe they became better and more competitive than they ever would've been otherwise.  That would be masked by a less than "expected" season according to the mob/community.  Everyone will always have different definitions of success.  To some, it's a championship. That should always be the goal but there's a long path from playoffs, district championship, area championship, region championship.... to state championship.  And assuming that 4-7 years is the "deadline" to make it happen.. the number of factors that influence that other than the right coach is immense.  Stop growing, move, lose interest, classification change, fail, get a girl pregnant, opposing teams transfers (the getting of), and so many other factors that can change a season that the coach has zero control of it's not even funny.  These conversations just make me shake my head.

I can't emphasize this enough: There are multiple places in the state/country that could NOT have won it all with the current players they have, no matter who the coach is or how long they've been there.  I really don't care who disagrees with that.

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

When a high school coach has a great year in the first year they're there, they did it with someone else's kids.  Players that were technically developed by the coach/coaches that were there before they took the job.  Same thing could be said about college/pro.  Unless... they're bringing their own players or players showed up the same year.  Or... something as simple as a league/classification change literally makes all the difference in the world.  That's happened so many times that it can't even be imagined.  Which is another conversation.  It is definitely plausible to assume that they changed the system or used the players in a different capacity... but they're still not "their" players.

However.. when a coach does have significant time to actually develop players and implement a system and set of expectations... that doesn't mean that the players will have championship caliber ability.  Maybe they became better and more competitive than they ever would've been otherwise.  That would be masked by a less than "expected" season according to the mob/community.  Everyone will always have different definitions of success.  To some, it's a championship. That should always be the goal but there's a long path from playoffs, district championship, area championship, region championship.... to state championship.  And assuming that 4-7 years is the "deadline" to make it happen.. the number of factors that influence that other than the right coach is immense.  Stop growing, move, lose interest, classification change, fail, get a girl pregnant, opposing teams transfers (the getting of), and so many other factors that can change a season that the coach has zero control of it's not even funny.  These conversations just make me shake my head.

I can't emphasize this enough: There are multiple places in the state/country that could NOT have won it all with the current players they have, no matter who the coach is or how long they've been there.  I really don't care who disagrees with that.

I'm curious how long it will be before Coach Johnston's seat starts warming up in Newton.... Are any of the locals out behind the ag barn plotting for changes, or is the job his-win or lose?

35 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I'm curious how long it will be before Coach Johnston's seat starts warming up in Newton.... Are any of the locals out behind the ag barn plotting for changes, or is the job his-win or lose?

I'm glad you brought this up.  It's going to be interesting to see the "opinions" on this subject!

49 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Curtis Barbay won two state titles in 36 years.  That's a lot of "7 year windows" that he didn't get it done.  Maybe they should just leave him alone.

2 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Curtis Barbay won two state titles in 36 years.  That's a lot of "7 year windows" that he didn't get it done.  Maybe they should just leave him alone.

It seems like they made deep, deep runs on a pretty regular basis.  It just doesn't seem like that these last few years.  I'm too lazy to go check the records.

28 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Doesn't matter.. even if you're correct.  State title or bust, right?  7 years to get it done or you're fired. 

I never said that…

it just seems to me like Newton was making deep runs almost every year but they’ve been pretty quiet since that last trip to Dallas with the old man… have they made it out of the third round since?

3 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I never said that…

it just seems to me like Newton was making deep runs almost every year but they’ve been pretty quiet since that last trip to Dallas with the old man… have they made it out of the third round since?

He's not referring to you, he's referring to the person that did say it, they know who they are. 😉