Port Neches-Groves vs South Oak Cliff - LIVE GAME UPDATES

WOSdrummer99

17 minutes ago, Coach_Izzy said:

Cause they were more talented than all those opponents…if they weren’t poorly coached the games against Argyle & PNG wouldn’t have been close as they shouldn’t have been. But I’m talking to ppl who are clueless.

Talent alone isn't taking you to back to back to back championships......period..... "Coach"

Im so proud of the team and the community for supporting them, finishing the year as one of the top 2 teams in 5A Division II is nothing to hang our heads about. How South Oak Cliff can participate in 5A athletics is beyond me, Dallas & Port Neches-Groves  are not pulling from the same pool of high school kids.

I remember there were some guys on here dogging our Indians for an early season scrimmage, Playing Christmas time football sure is fun!

SOC definitely made some adjustments defensively, they are really sound on that side and have been for a few years.....the DC is well regarded and has worked at places like A&M and Boise State.....when PNG was pulling they were able to outnumber SOC because they had schemed SOC well and appeared to have figured out some of their rules....SOC made one adjustment on the fly in the 2nd Qtr, but it left them vulnerable w/o a 3rd level defender and thats wheh Nguyen busted the long one down to the 3 and they made it 17-5. They cleaned getting outnumbered on the pull and then they made a change at LB that helped. 

SOC offensively isn't complex, but sometimes being simple is best....they didnt trust Little in the 10 personnel (4 wide 1 RB)packages all year and PNG had a great scheme to deal with SOC's running game when they were 20 (3 WR, 2 RB) ....so they decided to trust Little more and we saw more 10 personnel in the 2nd half.....

3 hours ago, Coach_Izzy said:

They called me crazy for saying this last night…but I’m debating with ppl who really don’t know the game, doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that these ppl are relying solely off talent and are poorly coached 

I agree for the most part.   Defensively, IMO, they are pretty well coached.   

They should beat everyone off talent alone.   No other 5A school has 10+ D1 kids.   SOC probably has 16+ D1 kids on the roster, maybe more.  PNG don’t have a D1 kid, and probably don’t have a D1-AA kid on the roster.

SOC should be in the thick of it every year with the talent advantage they have. 

2 hours ago, Coach_Izzy said:

It’s called recruiting my man…look at DV before Samples got there and look now. Look at what happened to Skyline once Samples left…you think it’s a coincidence that players tend to just magically show up wherever Samples coaches? Lol And guess who Todd coached & played for? It’s not rocket science 

I agree with this sentiment too.   I’m from Texas, but live in Florida now.   For all the accolades Florida high school football gets, it’s a joke.

DISD reminds me of the Miami area.   The city of Miami is basically open enrollment.   All the talent in that city currently goes to Miami Central, because they have a popular coach.   Northwestern, Columbus, and the rest of them are so-so.   They get the left-overs.

Thats what DISD has become.   Follow the popular coaches, and no one says a word.   Hard to believe SOC can have nearly 20 D1 kids, and the rest of the teams can’t chew bumble gum and walk at the same time.  Hard to believe they have little to no talent.

Every where Samples goes, to his credit, he wins.   He accumulates lots of talent, and wins.   Then he leaves, and those programs are non-existent again.  Look at Dallas Lincoln, and Dallas Skyline.    Compare them before his arrival, during his tenure, and after he leaves.   Is it a coincidence?

Look at what’s going on at Duncanville.   Same blueprint, and no one says a word.   I’m not saying he’s NOT a good coach.   He is, but he also plays at a talent advantage, no other coach plays with.

That’s why I’m hoping North Shore beats their A$& again today. 

2 hours ago, Matthew328 said:

SOC definitely made some adjustments defensively, they are really sound on that side and have been for a few years.....the DC is well regarded and has worked at places like A&M and Boise State.....when PNG was pulling they were able to outnumber SOC because they had schemed SOC well and appeared to have figured out some of their rules....SOC made one adjustment on the fly in the 2nd Qtr, but it left them vulnerable w/o a 3rd level defender and thats wheh Nguyen busted the long one down to the 3 and they made it 17-5. They cleaned getting outnumbered on the pull and then they made a change at LB that helped. 

SOC offensively isn't complex, but sometimes being simple is best....they didnt trust Little in the 10 personnel (4 wide 1 RB)packages all year and PNG had a great scheme to deal with SOC's running game when they were 20 (3 WR, 2 RB) ....so they decided to trust Little more and we saw more 10 personnel in the 2nd half.....

So basically you agree with me right?

2 hours ago, MackLewis said:

I agree for the most part.   Defensively, IMO, they are pretty well coached.   

They should beat everyone off talent alone.   No other 5A school has 10+ D1 kids.   SOC probably has 16+ D1 kids on the roster, maybe more.  PNG don’t have a D1 kid, and probably don’t have a D1-AA kid on the roster.

SOC should be in the thick of it every year with the talent advantage they have. 

Which is why I said the game shouldn’t have been close but it was due to the lack of coaching on SOC’s behalf 

2 hours ago, MackLewis said:

I agree with this sentiment too.   I’m from Texas, but live in Florida now.   For all the accolades Florida high school football gets, it’s a joke.

DISD reminds me of the Miami area.   The city of Miami is basically open enrollment.   All the talent in that city currently goes to Miami Central, because they have a popular coach.   Northwestern, Columbus, and the rest of them are so-so.   They get the left-overs.

Thats what DISD has become.   Follow the popular coaches, and no one says a word.   Hard to believe SOC can have nearly 20 D1 kids, and the rest of the teams can’t chew bumble gum and walk at the same time.  Hard to believe they have little to no talent.

Every where Samples goes, to his credit, he wins.   He accumulates lots of talent, and wins.   Then he leaves, and those programs are non-existent again.  Look at Dallas Lincoln, and Dallas Skyline.    Compare them before his arrival, during his tenure, and after he leaves.   Is it a coincidence?

Look at what’s going on at Duncanville.   Same blueprint, and no one says a word.   I’m not saying he’s NOT a good coach.   He is, but he also plays at a talent advantage, no other coach plays with.

That’s why I’m hoping North Shore beats their A$& again today. 

Bingo…finally somebody on here who actually know what the hell they’re talking about. But tonight they going against kids that they can’t out-athlete and you have to rely on coaching in these games. And we’ve seen who’ve come out on top the past few years. 

10 minutes ago, Matthew328 said:

I agree that PNG did a good job early on and had the upper hand, but coaching is also about making adjustments and SOC was able to do that so as much as PNG was able to outscheme SOC early, SOC made adjustments

Only adjustment SOC was to start throwing the ball up to their play makers at WR it took them a whole half to realize that they were the faster & more athletic team…I wouldn’t necessarily call throwing the ball up & “out athlete” a team who you’re clearly superior to adjustments. A competent staff would’ve made that game look easy as it should’ve been.

16 hours ago, Bigdog said:

The safeties hurt PNG the most IMO,  not only the four free points but the FG and TD on a short field after the free kicks.

... and another thing, or maybe a question, does UIL allow a punt after a safety? If so, I would have punted rather than kick off from the tee after the safeties. If not then NM. 

Re next season, PNG will have another strong team, maybe even better IMO. Presuming they get all the return players back. 

5 minutes ago, 1970 said:

... and another thing, or maybe a question, does UIL allow a punt after a safety? If so, I would have punted rather than kick off from the tee after the safeties. If not then NM. 

Re next season, PNG will have another strong team, maybe even better IMO. Presuming they get all the return players back. 

Not sure on that,  someone who is up on the rules could answer better.

8 minutes ago, 1970 said:

The UIL follows NCAA rules.

You can punt a free kick if you choose to. 

2 minutes ago, MackLewis said:

The UIL follows NCAA rules.

You can punt a free kick if you choose to. 

The punter for PNG was the QB, so maybe they just wanted regular defense players on the field for a kickoff. IDK, but I think I still would have punted. Long, high punt, with plenty of hang time.