South Oak Cliff vs Pt. Neches-Groves

WOSdrummer99

Who wins?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/17/2022 at 01:00 AM

16 minutes ago, pine curtain said:

unless "Mecca " is their official mascot it is against UIL rules to have it on their jersey and helmet.

Sure is...and here's the penalty for it PENALTY—Administer as a dead-ball foul. 15 yards at the succeeding

spot following the kickoff. If the kickoff is returned for a

touchdown, the penalty is assessed either on the try or on the

succeeding kickoff, at the option of the home team. [S27] In

addition, Officials shall charge a team timeout at the start of

each quarter the illegal jerseys are worn, or a foul for delay of

the game if all timeouts have been used.

3 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Watch their documentary. It's great. And it answers your question. 

I’m gonna check it out. after watching it I still don’t get what Mecca has to do With it.  I do have lots of respect for the discipline and work ethic they instill.  I also respect the way these coaches take responsibility for these kids all The way to making sure they eat and have shoes on their feet  

37 minutes ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

Sure is...and here's the penalty for it PENALTY—Administer as a dead-ball foul. 15 yards at the succeeding

Why?  What is "mecca"? 

1 hour ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

EXCEPTION: 1-4-5-a-2. Delete all of item 2 and replace with the following: 2. Other than the player’s number, the jersey may only contain: Player’s name, or, words that reflect positive values, such as “Honor”, “Integrity”, “Courage”, etc., substituted for the player’s name on the back of the jersey (by local district approval) School name Mascot name UIL Logo Sleeve stripes Logo for school, conference, mascot, postseason-game, memorial, the military Team slogan/acronym (by local district approval) The letter “C” to identify a Team Captain American flag State flag

42 minutes ago, 1970 said:

Why?  What is "mecca"? 

From the cover story in this year's DCTF magazine: 

Jason Todd is South Dallas born and raised. He graduated from Dallas Lincoln and played under legendary coach Reginald Samples. Every day, Todd walks the hall on campus where the image of his grandfather, former SOC principal Frederick Todd, hangs above him, a constant reminder of his loyalty to the area. Ward is a Dallas Kimball graduate. Defensive line coach Dominic Spencer is a Dallas Skyline product. Running backs coach Keith Davis is a graduate of Dallas Hillcrest. You get the picture. There’s nothing they pride themselves on more than representing the area in which they were raised.

Which makes the program’s nickname, given by Todd, all the more resonant — The Mecca.

In the Muslim faith, Mecca is the birthplace of the prophet Muhammad, where the Islamic faith originated and where every Muslim is eventually called back to at least once in their life.

“You had to pass through SOC because it was first in Oak Cliff and Oak Cliff is the biggest part of Dallas,” Ward said. “As everybody from Oak Cliff had spread, somebody within their roots, if they’re from Dallas, went to SOC: Granny, mama, uncle or whoever.”

So basically what they were saying is SOC is the birthplace of what you see now in programs like Duncanville, DeSoto, Lancaster, Cedar Hill, etc....a ton of those players families are from Oak Cliff and have a tie to SOC in some way

1 hour ago, BBfan061 said:

Idk if PNG scores over 20 against this SOC defense… give me SOC by 13. Hope the Indians pull it out though 

I predicted a close game with LH and PNG shredded the Slot-T. I think this will be a close game with SOC. PNG will make adjustments and come away with the “W” and State Championship. GO INDIANS! YOU GOT THIS!!

34 minutes ago, Matthew328 said:

EXCEPTION: 1-4-5-a-2. Delete all of item 2 and replace with the following: 2. Other than the player’s number, the jersey may only contain: Player’s name, or, words that reflect positive values, such as “Honor”, “Integrity”, “Courage”, etc., substituted for the player’s name on the back of the jersey (by local district approval) School name Mascot name UIL Logo Sleeve stripes Logo for school, conference, mascot, postseason-game, memorial, the military Team slogan/acronym (by local district approval) The letter “C” to identify a Team Captain American flag State flag

Which I assume they got...I don't have a problem with it I remember John Tyler wearing CUJO on their uniforms back in the day

The key will the play in the trenches, but we can’t ignore this will be the best secondary we’ve faced all season. It’s going to be TOUGH to get down the field. If PNG can match them physically, I have no doubt the coaches can make winning adjustments. Just hope the stage isn’t too big for us. 

1 hour ago, Matthew328 said:

highlight the whole sentence. 

the military Team slogan/acronym (by local district approval).

Mecca is not military slogan or acronym.

5 minutes ago, pine curtain said:

highlight the whole sentence. 

the military Team slogan/acronym (by local district approval).

Mecca is not military slogan or acronym.

I had to look for the 2022 exceptions and found them. There's a space between the military and Team Slogan/Acronym so they're talking about two separate issues 

This is the hidden content, please