Waco Connally (30) vs Hamshire-Fannett (33) - FINAL

jdawg03

HF has really turned some heads this year.  I saw them 4 times and love what Waggoner has built there.

That said, they are in the same division as Carthage.  Light years away from a trophy 

32 minutes ago, bd04 said:

Curious, what's the furthest HF Has made it in the playoffs? Or how longs it been since they've played in the third round. I looked at their record on max preps all the way back to the 04-05 season and saw that the furthest they had ever made it was to the second round. 

1991 HF played Groesbeck in 3rd round

groesbeck won 10-0 and also won the state championship 

Great comeback for the Horns.  They were down 15-6 late in the 3rd and it wasn’t looking too good.  Big fumble recovery in the Red Zone and then a 4th and 6 conversion to the 1 yard line.  After that, HF had new life.  They couldn’t be stopped in that 4th Qtr.  Connally had some athletes, but they couldn’t stay with the Horns in the final quarter.  Exciting finish.  Great ballgame.  

1 hour ago, bd04 said:

Curious, what's the furthest HF Has made it in the playoffs? Or how longs it been since they've played in the third round. I looked at their record on max preps all the way back to the 04-05 season and saw that the furthest they had ever made it was to the second round. 

1975 Les Koening coached team lead by Les Koening Jr at Qb they went to the semifinals lost too eventually state champ Lagrange 20-14 

5 hours ago, Ankhtutmin said:

The irony of this win is that hamshires best team in the schools history was the 1990 team ( 4 all state players  and OPOY) lost to waco connally after leading the majority of the game  30-29

Did they have Malveaux and Semian that year? Those guys were some studs! I believe Malveaux went to Michigan and Semian to Rice? Pure speed! Those guys would make you feel real slow on the field!

1 minute ago, Eagle91 said:

Did they have Malveaux and Semian that year? Those guys were some studs! I believe Malveaux went to Michigan and Semian to Rice? Pure speed! Those guys would make you feel real slow on the field!

That was Spencer George that went to rice then played for the Tennessee Titans. He was Eddie George’s back up 

13 minutes ago, Eagle91 said:

Yes Felman Malceaux was there he was 3a states OPOY all state at wr and defensive back  hamshires only receiver that ever went over 1,000 yrds receiveing ( that year 1,234) he went to Michigan.  that team put up the most points in 3a that season ( at least for the regular season) Anthony Semian was the stud back that season still holds the record for the most yards in a season for the school (1,850) Big Jake Droddy at tackle and Cody Mahon at Linebacker .

8 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

After coach tarver left hf has had zero stability or consistency 

Hamshire in their history have had 2 hall of fame coaches for that program we use to always say what would have happened if Les koenning stayed? He left after the 1975 13-1 season and went to Houston Memorial and lead them too a 12-1 record eventually losing to PNG . Then you had coach Danaher who left after the 1983 season and went too Callallan and you see what he did there . Coach Tarver did great for that school till this day I don't know what happened he had some great teams he leaves goes to bridge city and leads them too an 11-2 record . How do you let  coaches of that caliber leave ? You gotta pay them !!! Imagine if either one of them could have coached there 20 plus years where the program could have been? Coach Waggoner looks like the real deal doing a great job with the team . 

15 hours ago, Ankhtutmin said:

The irony of this win is that hamshires best team in the schools history was the 1990 team ( 4 all state players  and OPOY) lost to waco connally after leading the majority of the game  30-29

it was 5 all staters i missed one qb jake loicano he was an hm all state kicker 

12 hours ago, Ankhtutmin said:

Hamshire in their history have had 2 hall of fame coaches for that program we use to always say what would have happened if Les koenning stayed? He left after the 1975 13-1 season and went to Houston Memorial and lead them too a 12-1 record eventually losing to PNG . Then you had coach Danaher who left after the 1983 season and went too Callallan and you see what he did there . Coach Tarver did great for that school till this day I don't know what happened he had some great teams he leaves goes to bridge city and leads them too an 11-2 record . How do you let  coaches of that caliber leave ? You gotta pay them !!! Imagine if either one of them could have coached there 20 plus years where the program could have been? Coach Waggoner looks like the real deal doing a great job with the team . 

Heard a great story from a former HF assistant superintendent.

The community was mad at Koenning because in 74, they lost to Newton in bi-district 14-13.  At the time HF was #1, and Newton was #2, I believe.    Newton went on to win a state title.

People wanted him gone then, saying he couldn’t get it done.   The next year in 75, they lost to LaGrange in the semi’s and LaGrange won it all.

Koenning was very under appreciated.   Sometimes you don’t know how good you have it.

The current coach and staff has done a great job.   Hopefully the community supports him.

1 hour ago, MackLewis said:

The community was mad at Koenning because in 74, they lost to Newton in bi-district 14-13.  At the time HF was #1, and Newton was #2, I believe.    Newton went on to win a state title.

People wanted him gone then, saying he couldn’t get it done.   The next year in 75, they lost to LaGrange in the semi’s and LaGrange won it all.

That all lines up with the records for those years. Newton won their 1st championship. Finishing with a record of 14-1. Only loss was to HF early in the season.

1 hour ago, MackLewis said:

Koenning was very under appreciated.   Sometimes you don’t know how good you have it.

The current coach and staff has done a great job.   Hopefully the community supports him.

I have a relative that was part of the HF staff in '74.  If I remember the story correctly, Newton was sitting 4th and long in HF territory late in the 4th quarter.  Newton then committed 2 false starts and still converted on a sliding catch before eventually scoring the game winner.  Hope I am telling this correctly. 

HF had given Newton their only loss early in the season in a non-district match-up. 

One could argue that HF has given the eventual state champion their toughest game of the playoffs quite a few years, BUT....

As an aside, that HF group went on to win a regional title in baseball that school year with Danny Lauve as the Ace.  Jasper folks will know that name. 

On 11/19/2022 at 8:50 PM, MackLewis said:

he was the head coach of a football team , he was a track coach , athletic director and he drove bus word on the streets was he wanted another 1,000 bucks and hamshire didnt want to give it to him .  had he stayed im convinced they would have been going on deep playoff runs and probably a state title it was a lot of talent on upcoming squads back during that time .  That 74 team was #1 for 7 weeks  they had beat newton earlier in the season, koenning before the game whoever wins this game will win state and newton did , he also said the same thing vs lagrange in 1975. 

On 11/19/2022 at 10:35 PM, myrecordwashorrible said:

I have a relative that was part of the HF staff in '74.  If I remember the story correctly, Newton was sitting 4th and long in HF territory late in the 4th quarter.  Newton then committed 2 false starts and still converted on a sliding catch before eventually scoring the game winner.  Hope I am telling this correctly. 

HF had given Newton their only loss early in the season in a non-district match-up. 

One could argue that HF has given the eventual state champion their toughest game of the playoffs quite a few years, BUT....

As an aside, that HF group went on to win a regional title in baseball that school year with Danny Lauve as the Ace.  Jasper folks will know that name. 

Wow thats something i know from articles hf did miss an extra point which ended up costing them the game , as for the baseball i didnt know that but knew danny lauve was a stud at the linebacker position he lead the team with 7 interceptions that year which is crazy for a linebacker to have.  that team had 12 first team all district picks and 2 players on the fairly new port arthur news super 22 team and the teams 1st player to make all state Dale Green 

H-F and newton has played some good games  i think people forget in 1978 newton was ranked number 1 and hamshire beat newton 31-15  with qb charles deshotel going 10 -10 for over 157  yrds passing 1 td and 2 rushing and his cousin kenneth deshotel his cousin kenneth rushed for over 108 yrds for a td and 1 receiving td  . They would go on to play Sealy  in regionals with the great eric dickerson  and would lose 21-7  we lost two of our best players before that game  Todd shellhammer at defensive tackle and our fullback robert sanders that team went 9-3 and that was coach Phil Danahere first year at hamshire he would win 18-2a coach of the year and Port arthur news super 22 team coach of the year , the second time a hamshire coach had won that that the first being les koenning .