2023 Crosby Cougars

Cougtalk

Not the season we wanted losing some core position players next year. Will need new wide receivers, Eudy gets a year with the snaps, two very promising running backs return. It will all be for nothing if those offensive and defensive lineman don't drill and hit the weight room hard this spring and summer. 

We won't have the advantage of a bunch of extra practices but we get to start lifting heavy earlier which should help the trenches as they very clearly need to get stronger and faster to compete in 5AD1. 

We will have a star linebacker next year hopefully that can help us, but it's so much that needs to be worked on. Good luck young men hope you really stick to the program this offseason and trust your coaches because they can get you where you want to be. 

I'm hopeful next season can be a really good year, I've also heard the pipeline is quite full right now at the Freshman/Sophomore level. 

48 minutes ago, BHFAN said:

I was really hoping not to see this thread for months.  Betime the season starts we will have heard so much that Crosby will be the favorite to win it all.

Dunno, have to see how the off season goes. Who knows who could be wearing red and white next year seems we get a couple every year. 

6 hours ago, kenny powers said:

This is the hidden content, please

This might be a relevant story here shortly for your cougars 

Not sure why anyone would move in their senior year, unless its a "completely legitimate" move. Completely legitimate- meaning the parents completely moved with a new address in that zone.

Well I guess he is gonna end up at a private school for his senior year. 

8 hours ago, Cougtalk said:

Not the season we wanted losing some core position players next year. Will need new wide receivers, Eudy gets a year with the snaps, two very promising running backs return. It will all be for nothing if those offensive and defensive lineman don't drill and hit the weight room hard this spring and summer. 

We won't have the advantage of a bunch of extra practices but we get to start lifting heavy earlier which should help the trenches as they very clearly need to get stronger and faster to compete in 5AD1. 

We will have a star linebacker next year hopefully that can help us, but it's so much that needs to be worked on. Good luck young men hope you really stick to the program this offseason and trust your coaches because they can get you where you want to be. 

I'm hopeful next season can be a really good year, I've also heard the pipeline is quite full right now at the Freshman/Sophomore level. 

I am gonna give you an unbiased opinion, whereas my son attended Crosby up until the 10th grade (2021 Graduate). Afterwards we transferred to Sterling Aviation HS in Houston. I am gonna give that 2021 class success (state appearance) credit to mostly Coach Riordan and staff (Rio recruited LOL), Preito fell into a great situation. Each year the potency of the team has been less and less and talent pool has been less and less (to your own admission).

One difference I noticed with the old and new, under Riordan he wanted kids dedicated to Football. Whereas Prieto came from a smaller school and believes in kids playing multiple sports. As a parent I'm for multiple sports, but I also understand from a coaches perspective. Now one of your future RBs (and possibly your LB) is going to HS Bball and probably will play AAU basketball, possibly missing key weight room time and 7v7 (during AAU bball time) time. Same for Eudy, he probably going to be involved in more off-season baseball than football related activities. It's hard to make up time in ONE YEAR. The program has to be built from the MS. Crosby have the advantage of most 5A schools. They are probably the only 5A school (in the area) with 1 Middle School (and on the same campus). Therefore, the HS coaches can walk to the MS practices daily. When my son was in MS Riordan and the OC (Coach Mann) was at the "before school" practices all the time.  

The fact that a Sophomore is the leading LB & RB says a lot. Where are the Jr & Sr players? What made the 2021 group special, they had about 5-7 players on both sides of the ball as starter players.  

"The season is won during the off-season"

4 minutes ago, EyePayTaxes2 said:

I am gonna give you an unbiased opinion, whereas my son attended Crosby up until the 10th grade (2021 Graduate). Afterwards we transferred to Sterling Aviation HS in Houston. I am gonna give that 2021 class success (state appearance) credit to mostly Coach Riordan and staff (Rio recruited LOL), Preito fell into a great situation. Each year the potency of the team has been less and less and talent pool has been less and less (to your own admission).

One difference I noticed with the old and new, under Riordan he wanted kids dedicated to Football. Whereas Prieto came from a smaller school and believes in kids playing multiple sports. As a parent I'm for multiple sports, but I also understand from a coaches perspective. Now one of your future RBs (and possibly your LB) is going to HS Bball and probably will play AAU basketball, possibly missing key weight room time and 7v7 (during AAU bball time) time. Same for Eudy, he probably going to be involved in more off-season baseball than football related activities. It's hard to make up time in ONE YEAR. The program has to be built from the MS. Crosby have the advantage of most 5A schools. They are probably the only 5A school (in the area) with 1 Middle School (and on the same campus). Therefore, the HS coaches can walk to the MS practices daily. When my son was in MS Riordan and the OC (Coach Mann) was at the "before school" practices all the time.  

The fact that a Sophomore is the leading LB & RB says a lot. Where are the Jr & Sr players? What made the 2021 group special, they had about 5-7 players on both sides of the ball as starter players.  

"The season is won during the off-season"

So as for multisport athletes Crosby has had that for a long while. 

Weird take. Starting RB, QB, and WR all started in the starting 5 for Crosby's B-ball team in 2021. 

RB, QB, WR, CB all won a 4 x 100 meter State Championship. 

Which means your best team had 4 3 sport athletes, and those athletes were absolutely essential to the team... 

I don't think your take is correct. I also think we have had periods like this before where we didn't have a superstar set of seniors. The Netherly, Williams team might have been the most athletic team Crosby ever had. We had what 3 D1 power 5 kids, and 4-5 D2/3 kids on that team? 

The year between the Netherly teams and the 2021 team were not super-star ladden teams. You had Craig Williams who really fixed a lot of problems for the Cougars but that defense was terrible. I think we look less athletic sometimes because we have decided to put very good athletes on the defense, and defensive line. 

Linemen very rarely play two sports minus something like track and field and when it comes to it that's where we need to get bigger and stronger. 

10 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

So as for multisport athletes Crosby has had that for a long while. 

Weird take. Starting RB, QB, and WR all started in the starting 5 for Crosby's B-ball team in 2021. 

RB, QB, WR, CB all won a 4 x 100 meter State Championship. 

Which means your best team had 4 3 sport athletes, and those athletes were absolutely essential to the team... 

I don't think your take is correct. I also think we have had periods like this before where we didn't have a superstar set of seniors. The Netherly, Williams team might have been the most athletic team Crosby ever had. We had what 3 D1 power 5 kids, and 4-5 D2/3 kids on that team? 

The year between the Netherly teams and the 2021 team were not super-star ladden teams. You had Craig Williams who really fixed a lot of problems for the Cougars but that defense was terrible. I think we look less athletic sometimes because we have decided to put very good athletes on the defense, and defensive line. 

Linemen very rarely play two sports minus something like track and field and when it comes to it that's where we need to get bigger and stronger. 

Netherly, Sqwirl, Chase Todd, Patterson, Carlos Grace (4 D1 and 1 D2) - all didn't play bball past 10th grade

All those 2021 athletes played bball throughout (State Championship appearance) and no native D1 offer. Branch came from Goose Creek with that offer

How that work out for those hardworking 2021 athletes?

Riordan left in 2019

Rio?????

talk about living in the past!

Prieto stepped into an ideal situation????

1. Missed playoffs in Rios last year

2. Lost to SANTA FE!!!!!!!!

3. District just fired 100 employees

4. Every Coach he hired he had to convince them their checks would clear.

5. Superintendent Got ran out of town. 

6. All kind of rumors circling around the athletic program.

7. Worst Rep for recruiting on East Side of Houston (and thats tough to do)

I could list 20 other things but I wont. Coach P stepped into that! 

11 hours ago, Go-rilla said:

Rio?????

talk about living in the past!

Prieto stepped into an ideal situation????

5. Superintendent Got ran out of town. 

I could list 20 other things but I wont. Coach P stepped into that! 

He came in at the firing of one super and watched a second go down before he started his third year coaching at Crosby. 

1 hour ago, Bald Eagle said:

Crosby doesn't have the success they have had without the addition of some key BAYTOWNIANS. 

I'd like to see what the young RB will do these next two years. I hope he stays healthy.

Exactly in football, and the same for bball! Honestly a revolving door between both communities though, been for years. Some Baytown school have also benefited from Crosby kids that was not wanted.

13 minutes ago, panamamyers said:

One of which is a few years away from perhaps being a head coach in the NFL.

Brian Johnson is the exact person my statement was referring to, you must read minds ROTFL!! HC came in and wanted his son to play QB at Crosby then he transferred to Lee and the rest is history. Stellar College career, beat Bama in the Sugar Bowl and now major contributor (QB Coach) for the Eagles and Hurts!