NCAA Basketball 22-23

PhatMack19

13 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

Aggie jokes write themselves 

Some manager almost certainly got fired.  Hopefully it wasn’t the kid from Orangefield who forgot the uniforms.  And as the father of a former CBB manager, I couldn’t even get a chuckle out of this. Everybody has forgotten something important at some point of our lives.  Fortunately for most of us, it doesn’t make national news. 

Just now, bullets13 said:

This is the hidden content, please

Admittedly, I selfishly wanted this to work out as a UT basketball fan.  They were set to become a powerhouse for a long time under him.  That said, if he's guilty, he deserves this.  But from what I've heard, she's crazy, and on top of that she almost immediately retracted most of her claims, some of them even before he was arrested to begin with.  Without being privy to the evidence, who knows.  I've "heard" the pictures are damning, but if it's self-defense, it's self-defense.  If someone tries to rob me when i have the kids in the car, the pictures of them when I'm done are going to look pretty damning without context as well.  

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

Admittedly, I selfishly wanted this to work out as a UT basketball fan.  They were set to become a powerhouse for a long time under him.  That said, if he's guilty, he deserves this.  But from what I've heard, she's crazy, and on top of that she almost immediately retracted most of her claims, some of them even before he was arrested to begin with.  Without being privy to the evidence, who knows.  I've "heard" the pictures are damning, but if it's self-defense, it's self-defense.  If someone tries to rob me when i have the kids in the car, the pictures of them when I'm done are going to look pretty damning without context as well.  

So, do you think the firing was premature or warranted?

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

She’s got a history of violence and lost a HC volleyball job at the most prominent Hs in Lubbock because of it. This was when her fiancé was probably the most popular guy in west Texas (before becoming the most hated).  I said from the beginning I would bet a large sum of money she bit herself.  Seen it before, it’s in the crazy chick 101 playbook.  I don’t know what he did or didn’t do, but I can’t imagine there’s a chance in hell he gets convicted for anything.  And I would love for him to call me to sue my alma mater (if they are planning to use a for cause firing to not pay him).  I would gladly take it on a contingency and call it a career when we collect.  Hopefully he hires better representation than Coach Leach did when went after Tech. 

I wanted Beard to be the coach. That being said, no doubt in my mind Del Conte and in house legal team have left no stone unturned in making this decision. I don't expect the salary will be paid, ever.

This is really a no win for UT in public perception. Keep him for any reason and all you care about is winning games. He can do whatever he wants as long as he wins. May not be true but that would be the perception.

Get rid of him and you did the right thing but lost the best coach/recruiter you've had since the Barnes years.

17 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

So, do you think the firing was premature or warranted?

IMO it's premature to fire someone over allegations that were almost immediately retracted.  But I don't have access to the evidence, and I'm sure the powers that be at UT are able to get it.  I expect the charges to be dropped fairly soon.  How can you take someone to trial when the alleged victim is saying "I lied about him choking me, and told the police as much that night before they even arrested him.  All of my other minor injuries were a result of him defending himself against me."  That said, I never expected him to survive this in today's ultrawoke climate.  I'll never support a wife beater, but I'll also never support an atmosphere where the mere allegation that somebody did something leads to the immediate cancellation of their entire life.  

2 hours ago, bullets13 said:

IMO it's premature to fire someone over allegations that were almost immediately retracted.  But I don't have access to the evidence, and I'm sure the powers that be at UT are able to get it.  I expect the charges to be dropped fairly soon.  How can you take someone to trial when the alleged victim is saying "I lied about him choking me, and told the police as much that night before they even arrested him.  All of my other minor injuries were a result of him defending himself against me."  That said, I never expected him to survive this in today's ultrawoke climate.  I'll never support a wife beater, but I'll also never support an atmosphere where the mere allegation that somebody did something leads to the immediate cancellation of their entire life.  

The erosion of the presumption of innocence in this country should terrify us all.  It doesn’t even make most people’s radar but I can assure you it’s a real thing.  Social media is the great window into society (unfortunately) and this case is no different than most cases (unless we really like someone or they are in a position most of us revere - e.g., a cop is arrested while doing his job).   Any news source or thread is mostly replete with “I hope he goes to jail and they throw away the key” or “she deserved to lose her job for what she did.”  All over a simple arrest with no finding of guilt anywhere.  If it doesn’t scare you, I can assure you that bullets is right.  Your life could be potentially ruined, all over a potentially wrongful arrest (and by wrongful I mean an arrest that ends in a dismissal or acquittal). 

3 hours ago, Eagle11 said:

I wanted Beard to be the coach. That being said, no doubt in my mind Del Conte and in house legal team have left no stone unturned in making this decision. I don't expect the salary will be paid, ever.

This is really a no win for UT in public perception. Keep him for any reason and all you care about is winning games. He can do whatever he wants as long as he wins. May not be true but that would be the perception.

Get rid of him and you did the right thing but lost the best coach/recruiter you've had since the Barnes years.

I disagree here.  I would bet he gets north of 50 percent of the approx $30M left owing on his contract.  

Beard just needs to wait and see if Buzz works out at A&M.  Now that the Ags have ripped the bandaid off with Petrino, the stage is set for Chris to be the best basketball coach, and Briles to be the next football coach when the other half of their vaunted class leaves after another turd of a season. 

1 minute ago, TxHoops said:

Who’d have thought we’d see the day when Kentucky would be more competitive with Bama in football than in basketball. 

I'm at the point Coach Cal doesn't really care anymore, just collecting a hefty check. Coach Chin coaches harder than Cal these days. I watched the first 12mins of that game and turned it off. I've done that alot this season. 

27 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

I'm at the point Coach Cal doesn't really care anymore, just collecting a hefty check. Coach Chin coaches harder than Cal these days. I watched the first 12mins of that game and turned it off. I've done that alot this season. 

They are unwatchable.  When Sahvir Wheeler leads you in shot attempts, you are in trouble at that level. 

18 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

They are unwatchable.  When Sahvir Wheeler leads you in shot attempts, you are in trouble at that level. 

Yup. 

Also Cal has had way more excuses in his pressers and podcasts this season than any other previous season that I can remember regardless if it's after a win or a loss. 

Like I told a few folks weeks ago: I like the guy, great recruiter, but a change is needed sooner than people think. 

The way UK plays I can guarantee another first round exit in March. 

37 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Yup. 

Also Cal has had way more excuses in his pressers and podcasts this season than any other previous season that I can remember regardless if it's after a win or a loss. 

Like I told a few folks weeks ago: I like the guy, great recruiter, but a change is needed sooner than people think. 

The way UK plays I can guarantee another first round exit in March. 

I know a place he can go.  No choking allowed but as far as I know, he should be okay. 

17 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

Solid win for the Ags.  Hef went off 

So happy for Hayden.  He seems to produce when given opportunities.  He finishes 3-3 from the field, all 3s. I never understand those box scores.  If I have a kid who has taken 3 3s and made them all, I’m going to find ways to get him shots until he shows me he’s no longer hitting them.  

Great night for the Houston Defenders.  Jabari Rice (who used to have his way with them when they were freshmen) made some huge plays down the stretch to lead the Horns to a big win over Hefner’s longtime summer teammate Eddie Lampkin and TCU.