Transfers

FALCONS2026

9 minutes ago, FALCONS2026 said:

Does anyone know what the rules are for students transferring from one school to another as far as their eligibility for the following year. It seems I can point to several examples that have all been handled completely different.

Depends on a lot of factors. 

If deemed to have moved for athletic purposes the student tends to be ineligible for a single year.

Typically for it to not be considered athletics purposes there needs to be a life event change like job that required moving or clear quality of life improvement for the student. Also, Divorces and custody can sometimes play a role. Also, children of teacher can move to any district that their parent currently teaches at. 

However, the district committee determines eligibility initially. If a player transfers from school A to school B, the school file all their paperwork and it's approved then it can be deemed for non-athletic purposes. However, as is the case is some transfers if a student transfers from school A to school B and School A contest the validity of the transfer then it goes through a whole process that can eventually lead to the State determining eligibility for student. The burden of proof is on the student which is about the least democratic thing we could possibly do but nonetheless why punish coaches when you can punish students. 

I did a deep dive about a month ago looking into these rules.  

7 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

If deemed to have moved for athletic purposes the student tends to be ineligible for a single year.

Typically for it to not be considered athletics purposes there needs to be a life event change like job that required moving or clear quality of life improvement for the student. Also, Divorces and custody can sometimes play a role. Also, children of teacher can move to any district that their parent currently teaches at. 

However, the district committee determines eligibility initially. If a player transfers from school A to school B, the school file all their paperwork and it's approved then it can be deemed for non-athletic purposes. However, as is the case is some transfers if a student transfers from school A to school B and School A contest the validity of the transfer then it goes through a whole process that can eventually lead to the State determining eligibility for student. The burden of proof is on the student which is about the least democratic thing we could possibly do but nonetheless why punish coaches when you can punish students. 

Damn that was thorough. Thanks for the info. That explains why I've seen it handled so many different ways.

32 minutes ago, FALCONS2026 said:

Does anyone know what the rules are for students transferring from one school to another as far as their eligibility for the following year. It seems I can point to several examples that have all been handled completely different.

Like it is for the NCAA now, it is a free for all and has been for a while.  I have heard many stories through the years where the "richer" programs in the state have been able to "offer" jobs that are close to the district to the parent(s) so the family can move their kid in.  Probably hasn't happened nearly as much at all in the Golden Triangle as it has happened in the larger schools in Houston/DFW/Austin areas.  It's nothing new!

Yep it’s handled differently for each case.  We moved back to Orange (I say back because both the wife and I grew up there) in 2011.  We had been living In Mississippi. Our son was going into his senior year and played football in Mississippi. He actually had been listed as a possible preseason all state lineman in the Mississippi Gridiron magazine. (There version of Dave Campbells). We moved back because of elderly parents, mainly my mom in law which my wife was her primary caregiver.  When my son enrolled at LCM the district UIL committee had to meet to decide if he was eligible. They determined our move was not for athletic reasons and said he was eligible. They sent all the paperwork to Austin to the state committee to sign off on it and told us it’s just a formality the state almost always sides with the district executive committee. Well 1 person on the state committee didn’t believe us. Wished I could remember his name. Anyways they denied it because of him and my son was not allowed to play football his senior year. We appealed it and they set us up a meeting in mid December right before the Christmas break. Well after football was over!  We did make the drive to Austin anyways and this time they approved him but little good that did. 
sorry for the long story but we really feel the UIL cost him playing his senior year.  So yes it’s handled very differently depending on the situation involved and who’s sitting on both the district and state committees. 

4 hours ago, Cougtalk said:

What about if the school offers a parent a job to get them to come to their school to play football? Is that moving for athletic purposes?  

5 hours ago, FALCONS2026 said:

Typically if the kid moves during the school year and completes a grading period. There is no eligibility issue. Don’t wait until school is out. That’s when residency and other factors come into play. 

Just now, setxathlete14 said:

Depends on if they're winning games or not. We didn't have any trouble when we weren't very good. Funny how that works.

Well imo there is a difference in quality of transfers. Id like to have 5 star d1 guys. If they come from vinton and wasn't starting there well thats not good.  You made a reference to the back up running from wos. He was behind Shaw that is going to U of H. I mean there is alot of good backs that would back him up. 

6 minutes ago, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

Well imo there is a difference in quality of transfers. Id like to have 5 star d1 guys. If they come from vinton and wasn't starting there well thats not good.  You made a reference to the back up running from wos. He was behind Shaw that is going to U of H. I mean there is alot of good backs that would back him up. 

Also referring to when the shoe is on the other foot

22 minutes ago, kenny powers said:

Ah you mean when she was in 8th grade. Little different when a former starting WR quits midseason and moves to Crosby 

Yes, in 8th grade with D1 offers and a four year varsity starter.

As far as the WR, you guys wouldn’t play him.  He did not start when we played BH.  He also did not play varsity at Crosby this year either.  

36 minutes ago, kenny powers said:

Ah you mean when she was in 8th grade. Little different when a former starting WR quits midseason and moves to Crosby 

In this particular situation, BH was playing chess while Crosby was playing checkers! Shame on crosby for giving up a McDonald’s AA, and #1 WNBA pick. Plus is she stays in Crosby they probably would have been state champs. Kudos to BH!

2 hours ago, kenny powers said:

What about if the school offers a parent a job to get them to come to their school to play football? Is that moving for athletic purposes?  

Even if the parent work in that district but don’t live in the district zone, they will get denied by UIL. The address on the PAPF needs to be in the district zone, if not I am pretty certain the DEC will deny. As part of that process the new school coach supposed to do an “in home” visit to verify the athlete resides at the address on the PAPF. 

The parent will get a waiver from the district for the student to attend school ( academically), but the PAPF get process totally different (as many of you all know). 

1 hour ago, EyePayTaxes2 said:

Even if the parent work in that district but don’t live in the district zone, they will get denied by UIL. The address on the PAPF needs to be in the district zone, if not I am pretty certain the DEC will deny. As part of that process the new school coach supposed to do an “in home” visit to verify the athlete resides at the address on the PAPF. 

The parent will get a waiver from the district for the student to attend school ( academically), but the PAPF get process totally different (as many of you all know). 

Well they better get to moving! 

He didnt play because he had a problem with skipping practice btw. So as long as practice is not mandatory at Crosby, yall should be good.