**POST ALL DISTRICT PICKS HERE**

Bobcat1

There’s a couple of surprises for 17-5A. I don’t have the full list to post though. Here’s Crosby’s.

Blocker of the year-Victoria Grace

Defensive player of the year-CJ Brogan 

1st team-Kate Valt, Ashley Anderson, Shyla White

2nd team-Bell Land, Kylie Green, Mya Grace

Honorable Mention-Kinya White

Nederland All District Players

1st Team

Audrey Johnson, Sr.   Ava Whitehead, Sr.   Ava Wiltz, Sr.

2nd Team

Sydney Nelson, Sr.   Kamryn Smith, Jr.   Naysa Arnold, Soph. 

Honorable Mention

Uriah Buckley, Soph.

Ava Patrizi, Soph.

Academic All District Honors

Kaylee Batson

Brylee Dunkleburger

Kamryn Smith 

Ava Wiltz 

Ava Whitehead

8 hours ago, Pkvalt said:

There’s a couple of surprises for 17-5A

I am curious how district picks for volleyball are distributed.  In my past experience, albeit in another district and with football / baseball, district picks were skewed toward the winner; especially if the winner has such a wide margin.  It looks picks were fairly even between the top four teams.  No offense, but that just doesn't make sense to me.

On 11/11/2022 at 8:02 PM, THS99 said:

I am curious how district picks for volleyball are distributed.  In my past experience, albeit in another district and with football / baseball, district picks were skewed toward the winner; especially if the winner has such a wide margin.  It looks picks were fairly even between the top four teams.  No offense, but that just doesn't make sense to me.

Agreed. I was surprised we got so many. The coaches got together and voted. Of course they fought for their players for certain things. It didn’t turn out the way I thought it would to be honest.

3 hours ago, kenny powers said:

Interesting, in Nederland's win that was heard around the golden triangle, the MVP, the Newcomer and a 1st teamer were all missing that game for BH. I am sure it had nothing to do with the outcome though. Just a classic case of next man up right 😉

The sad thing is though as big as those three losses were, a team with the talent of BH should have been able to construct a game plan to overcome those losses.  Looking at the video on Neds YouTube page, you can clearly see a game plan wasn't in place for BH.  The Eagles are very talented, but something different needs to click for them to get over the hump.

2 hours ago, Pkvalt said:

Agreed. I was surprised we got so many. The coaches got together and voted. Of course they fought for their players for certain things. It didn’t turn out the way I thought it would to be honest.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised how the major awards and first team awards were distributed for this district.  It definitely looks like there is an agreement to evenly distribute awards, which IMO waters down post season awards.  Not saying there aren't other worthy players, but a few of the major awards and 1st team placements were head-scratchers for me.

1 hour ago, THS99 said:

Yeah, I was pretty surprised how the major awards and first team awards were distributed for this district.  It definitely looks like there is an agreement to evenly distribute awards, which IMO waters down post season awards.  Not saying there aren't other worthy players, but a few of the major awards and 1st team placements were head-scratchers for me.

Definitely had me confused and my kid got 1st team. Ha! I even messaged the mom of a girl from BH who I thought should have gotten one of the superlatives because I was so shocked she didn’t get it. Lol

The Baytown Sun posted these this weekend:

This is the hidden content, please

Screenshot-2022-11-21-080919

Not sure how a team that finished 2nd and was dominated in both matchups with the 1st place team ended up with two major awards, how the 3rd place team was shutout completely but yet the distant 4th place team got two awards? Seems like some major collusion between the 2nd place and the 4th place team. Had the 2nd place team Sterling beaten BH one time I could see sharing some coach and player awards but BH dominated 6-0 in sets in those two losses. 

10 hours ago, Steven Avery said:

Not sure how a team that finished 2nd and was dominated in both matchups with the 1st place team ended up with two major awards, how the 3rd place team was shutout completely but yet the distant 4th place team got two awards? Seems like some major collusion between the 2nd place and the 4th place team. Had the 2nd place team Sterling beaten BH one time I could see sharing some coach and player awards but BH dominated 6-0 in sets in those two losses. 

The awards selections really don't make any sense at all.  I could see even distributions like that (1st place through 4th place) if the district was close, but it really wasn't close at all.  Good for the girls from 2nd and 4th, but it sure does seem like sour grapes with how their coaches voted.  I thought we stopped giving out participation awards after we left the YMCA?

I’ll just say it. Avery should have gotten blocker of the year. She led in blocks and dominated offensively all year. CJ led the district in digs by a good margin so that makes sense to me. 
You know how it is. The coaches had their agendas and who they wanted to get awards. Lots of negotiations had to happen for it to work out like this. If you look at the district stats you can clearly see who should have gotten those awards and who shouldn’t have. Hell, if you watched any of the teams you know who their leaders are and who should have been in the running for them. 

3 hours ago, Pkvalt said:

I’ll just say it. Avery should have gotten blocker of the year. She led in blocks and dominated offensively all year. CJ led the district in digs by a good margin so that makes sense to me. 
You know how it is. The coaches had their agendas and who they wanted to get awards. Lots of negotiations had to happen for it to work out like this. If you look at the district stats you can clearly see who should have gotten those awards and who shouldn’t have. Hell, if you watched any of the teams you know who their leaders are and who should have been in the running for them. 

I found this interesting - The Nederland coach who may have had her kids get the short end of the stick said she doesn't use stats at these meetings? So what exactly are they using?  

"Obviously, I try to tell them that if they do the work, all of the accomplishments will follow,” Nederland Head Coach Allie Crommett said. “They never worried about stats. I don’t use stats going into those things. As long as they are taking care of what they needed to on the court, then they are going to be remembered by the people we play."

43 minutes ago, kenny powers said:

I found this interesting - The Nederland coach who may have had her kids get the short end of the stick said she doesn't use stats at these meetings? So what exactly are they using?  

"Obviously, I try to tell them that if they do the work, all of the accomplishments will follow,” Nederland Head Coach Allie Crommett said. “They never worried about stats. I don’t use stats going into those things. As long as they are taking care of what they needed to on the court, then they are going to be remembered by the people we play."

That's crazy to me - Basically, if have a bad game against Nederland, don't expect the coach to vote for you even if your season stats are far better than someone who "impressed" her.  

On 11/22/2022 at 4:02 PM, Pkvalt said:

That’s crazy and it’s exactly why their players didn’t get any of the top awards. They didn’t have any stand out players that I can remember like other teams did and without the stats there, they get overlooked. Sad. What are they looking at other than stats for these awards then?

Good question and I have no idea. I do find it interesting the Sterling coach is the "lead" for the district and the Goose Creek ISD AD is the lead for the district in all sports. Sounds like to me Goose Creek has too much say in how things are done including awards. 

6 hours ago, Steven Avery said:

Good question and I have no idea. I do find it interesting the Sterling coach is the "lead" for the district and the Goose Creek ISD AD is the lead for the district in all sports. Sounds like to me Goose Creek has too much say in how things are done including awards. 

I think it’s pretty clear the Sterling coach pulled some shenanigans with the other Baytown schools and Crosby agreed to join if they got what they wanted in return. The swing vote if you will on some of these awards. Maybe one was justified but the other makes zero sense at all. Definitely need oversight in these meetings. Stats aren’t everything but dang you can’t just ignore them either. Like pkvalt said the play and numbers were pretty clear. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 4th place team get two superlative awards .

• 8 months later...

Reading back over this thread as the new season starts.

It appears to me someone needs to hold the Goose Creek AD accountable for letting his coaches collude to get awards when the results weren't there. No way Sterling should have shared in any of the MVP or Coaching awards getting blown out by BH twice. 

If the Sterling coach is the lead, is probably friends with the other Goose Creek coaches, not to mention I heard the new Crosby coach is a relative to the GCM Coach that is some major binds that can swing votes. And of course the one thing they have in common is they hate BH.  The Nederland coach going over to PNG may actually hurt their players and allow Nederland to get more players in the running. I am sure the PA coach just does whatever or doesn't even vote. 

• Bobcat1 unpinned this topic