Nederland (24) @ Port Neches-Groves (26) - FINAL

jdawg03

Question: The PNG QB is back in punt formation, 4th down, and the ball was hiked over his head. He ran back, picked up the ball and spiked it. The refs spotted the ball back where he spiked it, rather than at the line of scrimmage. If a spike is an incomplete pass, then why not put the ball back at the line of scrimmage? If it's not an incomplete pass, then isn't it a fumble? If so then the Nederland player could have picked it up and ran.  

6 hours ago, 1970 said:

Question: The PNG QB is back in punt formation, 4th down, and the ball was hiked over his head. He ran back, picked up the ball and spiked it. The refs spotted the ball back where he spiked it, rather than at the line of scrimmage. If a spike is an incomplete pass, then why not put the ball back at the line of scrimmage? If it's not an incomplete pass, then isn't it a fumble? If so then the Nederland player could have picked it up and ran.  

If he’s that far from the line of scrimmage, and it’s not a typical spike the ball situation, wouldn’t it be intentional grounding, which would be a spot foul and loss of down, meaning they’d take over right there where he spiked it? 

4 hours ago, bullets13 said:

If he’s that far from the line of scrimmage, and it’s not a typical spike the ball situation, wouldn’t it be intentional grounding, which would spike the ball right there? 

Apparently so; or the way the refs saw it, anyway. Coach Joseph wasn't happy about the call, though. 

11 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

Congrats PNG, Nederland hang your head up high. Sophomores rose to the occasion…. Fun times ahead for the next few years 

Please explain, a sophomore gave up the winning td , Png RBs ran it down all three sophomore linebackers throats all night , I would say the only sophomore that rose up was the QB , are you telling me none of the jr or sr starters had anything to do with that game 🙄

12 hours ago, 1970 said:

Question: The PNG QB is back in punt formation, 4th down, and the ball was hiked over his head. He ran back, picked up the ball and spiked it… 

You can only spike the ball at the line on the snap to stop the clock. At any other time it is intentional grounding.

Intentional Grounding is done to avoid a sack so the penalty is that it is a sack.

Of course they don’t call it a sack but it if penalized by loss of down and the ball being spotted at the location where the quarterback was…. which coincidentally is the same result if he had been sacked. 

7 hours ago, GoPro said:

Please explain, a sophomore gave up the winning td , Png RBs ran it down all three sophomore linebackers throats all night , I would say the only sophomore that rose up was the QB , are you telling me none of the jr or sr starters had anything to do with that game 🙄

They sure did, lots of great plays were made by them. But the week of festivities, the weather, biggest rivalry in the state arch rival, had all the makings for a disaster via (homecoming game on how that tuned out) they rose to the occasion. The linebackers contained and held them to season lows this game. 

2 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

They sure did, lots of great plays were made by them. But the week of festivities, the weather, biggest rivalry in the state arch rival, had all the makings for a disaster via (homecoming game on how that tuned out) they rose to the occasion. The linebackers contained and held them to season lows this game. 

Lol ok so you’re saying the sophomores were the only reason this game was so close , some are good I agree but watch the film especially Pngs last drive , starting with 3rd and 10 

1 minute ago, GoPro said:

Lol ok so you’re saying the sophomores were the only reason this game was so close , some are good I agree but watch the film especially Pngs last drive , starting with 3rd and 10 

The ONLY reason this game was close was a monsoon.  The rain wreaked havoc on PNG passing game.  It allowed Ned to focus solely on the run.  When it slowed down PNG began to severely exploit Nederland's secondary.  I'm not taking anything away from Nederland's players heart and determination.  They just do not have the talent this year.  The coaching is also extremely poor.  

1 hour ago, dme1111 said:

The ONLY reason this game was close was a monsoon.  The rain wreaked havoc on PNG passing game.  It allowed Ned to focus solely on the run.  When it slowed down PNG began to severely exploit Nederland's secondary.  I'm not taking anything away from Nederland's players heart and determination.  They just do not have the talent this year.  The coaching is also extremely poor.  

The ONLY reason the game was close was because the PNG center had an off night. Rain didn't affect the passing game too much for either team. 

37 minutes ago, 1970 said:

The ONLY reason the game was close was because the PNG center had an off night. Rain didn't affect the passing game too much for either team. 

I think it affected the outcome.  You can read on Panews the article with Joseph talking about the wet conditions and that they didn't practice with it enough.  Nederland only passed a few times.  All those were basically  jump balls that Nederland happened to win.  PNG did not pass much in the rain. 

Maybe I'm wrong...  It has happened a time or two.

38 minutes ago, dme1111 said:

I think it affected the outcome.  You can read on Panews the article with Joseph talking about the wet conditions and that they didn't practice with it enough.  Nederland only passed a few times.  All those were basically  jump balls that Nederland happened to win.  PNG did not pass much in the rain. 

Maybe I'm wrong...  It has happened a time or two.

Did you edit your original post? I could have swore you asked if I was there last night. 

Anyway, yes, yes, I was there, and yes the rain definitely affected the game. I read the PANews piece this morning. Coach Joseph is a good guy. 

16 minutes ago, 1970 said:

Did you edit your original post? I could have swore you asked if I was there last night. 

Anyway, yes, yes, I was there, and yes the rain definitely affected the game. I read the PANews piece this morning. Coach Joseph is a good guy. 

I did edit it...  I'm trying to sound like less of a D*** these days.