Interesting news out of the UIL

AggiesAreWe

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

seems like a good idea to me.  I've always thought it strange that different series could be played under different rules based solely on a coinflip.  

Only problem is if you are going to have all the playoff games be best of three, then the state semifinal and finals should be that way. But that's not going to be the case.

Make it universal throughout.

At the very least it would keep one team from changing the round based on their situation/strength. It can be one win or two wins to move on but let it be the same for everyone.

Every year we know a team that might have one dominant pitcher but no depth. Other teams might have a great pitching rotation but almost no team can beat that one dominant pitcher.

Which is the better team? That is debatable but it won’t allow one team to basically change the rules by a coin flip from round to round to benefit their strength.

This is very interesting. Many call baseball the "series" sport and feel it should be that way at all levels and should have been instituted years ago. Many districts have moved to same opponent in a week to make it more "series like." The state tournament is likely never changing, but a 3 game series to decide it all could be fun if it were ever to do so.  Only would add 1 week to the playoffs. 

I think it is good for the sport over all. It's a team sport, so I think the squad with the depth should have an advantage. That advantage is 3 games. Kids are already on a pitch count so it forces coaches to manage the bull pens and the rosters as a whole. mostly positives here. I hope they do it in softball as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is really not a issue in 5A/6A. Most of these bigger schools already play a series in playoffs. Its the 4A's and lower that will flip for a 1 gamer and ride 1 stud pitcher in playoffs.

Personally, I would love to see a tournament style playoff system like college. This would cut the amount of postseason weeks down and let the better team advance in all levels. Now 1A/2A may have a problem due to size of school and players coming out but the rest should be fine. Yes that could make a team play 5 games but that will show the best TEAM!

EX.

Week 1 - Bi-district - 3 game series

Week 2 - Area/regional Q-final - double elimination tournament

Week 3 - Reg simi/ Reg Final - Double elimination tournament

Week 4 - State simi/Final - Double elimination tournament 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2022 at 9:02 AM, hitman009 said:

This is really not a issue in 5A/6A. Most of these bigger schools already play a series in playoffs. Its the 4A's and lower that will flip for a 1 gamer and ride 1 stud pitcher in playoffs.

Personally, I would love to see a tournament style playoff system like college. This would cut the amount of postseason weeks down and let the better team advance in all levels. Now 1A/2A may have a problem due to size of school and players coming out but the rest should be fine. Yes that could make a team play 5 games but that will show the best TEAM!

EX.

Week 1 - Bi-district - 3 game series

Week 2 - Area/regional Q-final - double elimination tournament

Week 3 - Reg simi/ Reg Final - Double elimination tournament

Week 4 - State simi/Final - Double elimination tournament 

I like your thoughts on this. However, a team would have to play 5 games to win a tournament if you lose in your 1st or 2nd game.  College regionals can get pretty ugly when teams can scratch a win to force that 5th game.  High school could get even worse.  Again, I like the thought but it gets concerning when you think about it more in depth.  Even the team that took its first loss in game 4 would be pitching kids that likely have only had bullpen sessions once district started. 

If the UIL didn't have the damn game limit so low it might would be different. Teams could play non-district games on Saturdays and those kids could see mound time.  If that was allowed then your scenario would be even stronger to argue.  Just thoughts...

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 5:25 PM, myrecordwashorrible said:

I like your thoughts on this. However, a team would have to play 5 games to win a tournament if you lose in your 1st or 2nd game.  College regionals can get pretty ugly when teams can scratch a win to force that 5th game.  High school could get even worse.  Again, I like the thought but it gets concerning when you think about it more in depth.  Even the team that took its first loss in game 4 would be pitching kids that likely have only had bullpen sessions once district started. 

If the UIL didn't have the damn game limit so low it might would be different. Teams could play non-district games on Saturdays and those kids could see mound time.  If that was allowed then your scenario would be even stronger to argue.  Just thoughts...

True:. But think of this… they play in tournaments at the start of the season that have 4-5 games in just the tournament.. and most usually play a game on that Tuesday of the same week… that is 5-6 games a week.. why can they do that at beginning of year and not playoffs?  
I also think all districts should do common opponent per week and play a 3 game series.. prevents teams from rotating a #1  to strength of schedule. 

UIL game limit all but kills your 3 game a week district series.  I love the thought, but the game limit makes it practically impossible.  Which again brings me back to the problem of so many games in a tournament playoff format.  Again, I like the ideas you have, but just not sure how doable with the restrictions prior to that point. 

4 hours ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

UIL game limit all but kills your 3 game a week district series.  I love the thought, but the game limit makes it practically impossible.  Which again brings me back to the problem of so many games in a tournament playoff format.  Again, I like the ideas you have, but just not sure how doable with the restrictions prior to that point. 

what game limit you talking about?

games during the week?

total games?

playoff games during the week?

Games during the week and total games. Three tournaments and 17 total games. 8 team diarist would mean 7 opponents.  At 3 games each (21) you would only be allowed 1 tournament.  The replacement for a single tournament is the allowance of 3 games. 

Again I like some of the ideas proposed and would have no real strong objection to any, however there is government uh uh I mean a governing body that makes some of the ideas impossible to achieve. 

7 hours ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

Games during the week and total games. Three tournaments and 17 total games. 8 team diarist would mean 7 opponents.  At 3 games each (21) you would only be allowed 1 tournament.  The replacement for a single tournament is the allowance of 3 games. 

Again I like some of the ideas proposed and would have no real strong objection to any, however there is government uh uh I mean a governing body that makes some of the ideas impossible to achieve. 

also remember you can only play 1 game during the school week.

53 minutes ago, pine curtain said:

also remember you can only play 1 game during the school week.

that is not a rule with post season UIL rules.  Post season reverts back to tournament rules. You can play playoff games on Tuesday/ Thursday.. 

Now to go to 3 game series in district is OK right now.. Just hast to be game 1 (Mon-Thursday) Game 2 & 3 played on Friday or Sat.. Some districts are already doing this. 

To make this mandatory  UIL will have to increase the amount of games allowed or only allow 1-2 tournaments a season.

4 minutes ago, hitman009 said:

that is not a rule with post season UIL rules.  Post season reverts back to tournament rules. You can play playoff games on Tuesday/ Thursday.. 

Now to go to 3 game series in district is OK right now.. Just hast to be game 1 (Mon-Thursday) Game 2 & 3 played on Friday or Sat.. Some districts are already doing this. 

To make this mandatory  UIL will have to increase the amount of games allowed or only allow 1-2 tournaments a season.

he was talking about regular season games. 

playoff: (3) Two-out-of-Three Series. If schools play a two-out-of-three elimination series, the first and second games may be played prior to Friday. Game three shall not be played until Friday. If one game is played and a second game cannot be played because of weather, then the winner of the one game advances to the next round. If two games are played (and split) and the third game cannot be played on Saturday because of weather conditions, the third and deciding game should be played on Monday of the next week.

On the three games against on one opponent idea....once coached in a 6 team district that did that very thing.  But, not in your proposed set up.  Played each team once then moved to same opponent on Tuesday and Friday. Was kind of an interesting way to go about it. 

Started district play on a Tuesday which allowed us all out final tournament that same week. Then 2 weeks of single games before the same opponent in a week. 

On 1/23/2023 at 12:31 PM, pine curtain said:

he was talking about regular season games. 

playoff: (3) Two-out-of-Three Series. If schools play a two-out-of-three elimination series, the first and second games may be played prior to Friday. Game three shall not be played until Friday. If one game is played and a second game cannot be played because of weather, then the winner of the one game advances to the next round. If two games are played (and split) and the third game cannot be played on Saturday because of weather conditions, the third and deciding game should be played on Monday of the next week.

that is exactly what I stated. 

On 1/23/2023 at 2:12 PM, myrecordwashorrible said:

On the three games against on one opponent idea....once coached in a 6 team district that did that very thing.  But, not in your proposed set up.  Played each team once then moved to same opponent on Tuesday and Friday. Was kind of an interesting way to go about it. 

Started district play on a Tuesday which allowed us all out final tournament that same week. Then 2 weeks of single games before the same opponent in a week. 

Districts committee determine whether you play a alternating schedule or common opponents. I struggle with the concept that most districts alternate opponents. It allows for strength of district SCHEDULE to play a factor.  Teams can rotate a #1 pitcher to play the most competitive teams twice. The better TEAM will be determined if they did common opponents.

In playoffs you can have a 3 game with common opponents. I would hope that districts would understand this, go to a 3 game series with common opponents. Now to do this UIL has to allow more games.  But to say that teams cant perform in a 3 game a week, when they do that during tournament play (4-6 games a week) blows my mind. 

3 hours ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

I know everything your saying hitman, I lead a committee and lobbied for same opponent in a week, but everyone caved to one coach in the district and my own AD helped torpedo the idea as well. 

I know exactly what you are saying. I probably know the reason why your AD did not like that idea.. .Some AD's only have their sport agenda to focus on and not the individual sport's best interest.    common opponents in district is hard to pass. There are more lower teams that want a chance to compete with their one dude. Then they get their a$$ whipped in the playoffs in a 3 game series..

The things I'm proposing is take that power away from District committees.  UIL Should mandate common opponents in district.. like they just did with mandating 3 game series in postseason.

Things will never change until enough voiced opinions are heard in UIL.

That is what just happened with this mandatory 3 game series. Enough voices were finally heard. Now let's keep pushing to make it better.