Livingston vs Huffman

Hagar

12 hours ago, Hagar said:

Real drop off at HH.  Just a one-off?

A couple of issues have led to this start:

1. This years SR class was pretty thin to begin with. Then 5 of them headed to Dayton to make it the thinnest I can ever remember.

2. The injury bug has been RIDICULOUS this year. They had 9 defensive players out against Columbus. They get all but 1 back this week so hopefully they stay healthy.

3. Replacing the back to back district MVP is tough (especially at QB).

I wouldn't expect this to continue past this year. This team is loaded with young talent. And I do mean YOUNG. They will suit up 7 freshmen this week. 4 will start. Both the freshmen and sophomore teams were undefeated all the way through middle school and halfway through their freshmen year before being broken up to supplement the Varsity. The future is bright, just got to survive this year.

13 minutes ago, FALCONS2026 said:

1. This years SR class was pretty thin to begin with. Then 5 of them headed to Dayton to make it the thinnest I can ever remember.

2. The injury bug has been RIDICULOUS this year. They had 9 defensive players out against Columbus. They get all but 1 back this week so hopefully they stay healthy.

I wouldn't expect this to continue past this year. This team is loaded with young talent. And I do mean YOUNG. They will suit up 7 freshmen this week. 4 will start. Both the freshmen and sophomore teams were undefeated all the way through middle school and halfway through their freshmen year before being broken up to supplement the Varsity. The future is bright, just got to survive this year.

Thanks for the explanation. 

On 10/5/2022 at 9:36 AM, FALCONS2026 said:

I absolutely agree with everything you said here. My only question pertains to #1, with Dayton's open enrollment status, their clear commitment to becoming a local power again, and the buzz that is starting to surround that program, do you think more will go to Dayton in the near future? Those younger classes have decisions to make when it comes to the football program and, really, those decisions need to be made this offseason. What's the feel around the community with the new coaching staff? Is the confidence still there? I only ask because I know it was kinda "meh" during the hiring process this offseason and struggling like they have this year couldn't have helped that. 

2 hours ago, 2wedge said:

I absolutely agree with everything you said here. My only question pertains to #1, with Dayton's open enrollment status, their clear commitment to becoming a local power again, and the buzz that is starting to surround that program, do you think more will go to Dayton in the near future? Those younger classes have decisions to make when it comes to the football program and, really, those decisions need to be made this offseason. What's the feel around the community with the new coaching staff? Is the confidence still there? I only ask because I know it was kinda "meh" during the hiring process this offseason and struggling like they have this year couldn't have helped that. 

Hard to say. Most of fence straddlers from the younger groups have revolved around baseball. I haven't heard too many complaints about the coaching staff this year as most people realize Huffman is down talent wise this year. Like I said I expect them to contend next year for sure, but if they were to lose 4 or 5 top kids to other schools that would change my expectations and I'm sure others would follow suit. Let's hope that doesn't happen because they have a chance to be really good.

1 hour ago, FALCONS2026 said:

Hard to say. Most of fence straddlers from the younger groups have revolved around baseball. I haven't heard too many complaints about the coaching staff this year as most people realize Huffman is down talent wise this year. Like I said I expect them to contend next year for sure, but if they were to lose 4 or 5 top kids to other schools that would change my expectations and I'm sure others would follow suit. Let's hope that doesn't happen because they have a chance to be really good.

I agree with that. The group coming up is loaded for sure. Unfortunately, I think something is going to have to happen in Huffman to inject some new life into the football program, something to create excitement, and I am not sure the powers that be are willing to do anything differently than they have been doing. I have friends there who go to home games and say the crowds are tiny and not interested in the game at all. The community needs and the kids need something to get excited about again. Probably a full scale culture change.