2022 UIL Region 10 Marching Band Contest Thread!

It's hard to believe that a full year has passed since last year's contest but here we are again!

The UIL Region 10 Marching Band Contest will be held Saturday October 15, 2022 at Port Neches-Groves HS Stadium. The schedule released today shows 30 bands competing to earn that coveted Division 1 rating and the chance to move on to state competition.

Admission is $5 to get in.

I do plan to attend and record all the bands as my brother and I have diligently tried since 2006. If y'all want, come say hi to me as I battle the weather elements and try to get the best video/audio recordings of our local high school bands.

Now that things are getting back to some sort of normalcy, advancement past region to area/state competition will be for class 2A, 4A, and 6A schools only. Keep in mind that we have separate open class (contemporary-style) and military class tracks for state marching band contest.

Some of my thoughts:
- With the recent UIL alignment for 2022-2024, a few schools have shifted classifications compared to last year: Corrigan-Camden 2A from 3A, Orangefield 3A from 4A, Beaumont United 6A from 5A.
- Some schools missing from last year (2021) include Port Arthur Memorial. Hudson (outside Lufkin) has not participated since 2018.
- Woodville returns to marching contest after a 3-year absence 
- Again this year, Beaumont United and West Brook High Schools are competing as Non-Varsity Bands; they will not be able to advance to area or state even if they earn a Division 1 rating. From my understanding "newer" schools like Beaumont United usually start out as non-varsity for music programs. I am not sure with West Brook the process to request Non-Varsity status.

Per the UIL Handbook: 

Varsity Waiver. At the option of the music director and local school administration and with the approval of the UIL State Director of Music, music organizations representing new music programs, and music organizations committed to the process of establishing a viable music program may enter as non-varsity in the conference to which they are assigned until such time that the organization earns a Division I rating in concert performance.
Pending request from local school administration and with the approval of the UIL State Director of Music the requirement to return to varsity status may be waived until such time that local school administration requests varsity status.

- With all the classification changes, only three 5A bands are left in our region, As it stands, we have 3-2A, 10-3A, 12-4A, 3-5A, 2-6A bands participating.

Best wishes to all participating bands as they finish learning their music/drill and polishing up their shows in the next 2 weeks.

UIL Region 10 2022 Schedule.PNG

I have completed editing all the video recordings of the contest. I did my best to remove the wind but my external audio recorded did not work properly on a few of the bands, hence the strong wind noise.

You can all view them here on my YouTube Channel: 

It starts off with Jasper but you can find a school's band by looking at the playlist.

Everyone enjoy!