Coach Bashing

bullets13

This season, more so than any other that I can remember in my 15 or so years on SETXsports, we're having a major problem with multiple posters from multiple teams continually bashing, criticizing, and insulting various area coaches.  Moderators have had to post the no coach-bashing rule in multiple threads that have gone off the rails due to complaints about coaching.  There are ways to express yourself without violating this rule.  If you can't find a way to do so, I'd suggest avoiding the topic completely.   I don't care if WOS goes 2-8, if Vidor runs the ball up the middle 200 times in a row, or if Hull-Daisetta doesn't listen to the experts and mismanages the clock while calling the wrong plays.  Anyone who violates this rule during the remainder of the season is receiving an immediate one-week ban.  Violations are decided by moderator discretion.  If you continue to violate the rule once you return you will be banned permanently.  If you're about to make a post about coaching, but you're not sure if it's okay, don't make it.  Save your opinion for facebook, or better yet, go to the game and scream it in the stands with the other coaching experts.  It's important to remember that while our site encourages healthy discussion, we demand an atmosphere of respect towards our local players, coaches, and communities, no matter your opinion of their performance..  Please remember that this post is your free warning.  Any questions about this rule, or about a post you'd like to make, may be sent to myself or other moderators in private message for clarification without repercussions.  Below, for the fiftieth time, is the rule that so many of you continue to violate.  Thank you, and happy posting.

18 ) The bashing of any particular coach, player, referee, etc will not be tolerated. This includes issues involving their personal lives, coaching/playing style or performance, past experiences, etc.

I agree completely about student athletes NOT being called out. They’re kids. 

I’ll abide by the rule about coaches, but it’s dumb. 

If a man wants to take on the role of coaching with all of its financial rewards, prestige, power, etc… and expects to bask in the glory and praise after wins, he/she should have to face the criticism when it comes. There’s a big difference between criticizing a kid who threw a pick versus criticizing a highly paid professional who made a questionable play call, or is even having problems after deciding to install a new philosophy despite the old one being pretty doggone effective.  Should people stick “for sale” signs in his yard? Absolutely not. But should that man be spared from any form of criticism, too? I don’t think so. 

8 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

If a man wants to take on the role of coaching with all of its financial rewards, prestige, power, etc… and expects to bask in the glory and praise after wins, he/she should have to face the criticism when it comes. There’s a big difference between criticizing a kid who threw a pick versus criticizing a highly paid professional who made a questionable play call, or is even having problems after deciding to install a new philosophy despite the old one being pretty doggone effective.  Should people stick “for sale” signs in his yard? Absolutely not. But should that man be spared from any form of criticism, too? I don’t think so. 

Some criticism is fine, just not the constant bashing and making it personal. When every post a particular member makes is about bashing a coach, it's gone too far for that member.

The posting of the video is a prime example of coach bashing.

Folks have to understand the website side of this. We have to have good relationships with our local coaches. Those relationships are important to the success of this website.

9 minutes ago, Bigdog said:

As Bullets said, do it somewhere else if you can't control yourself.  

Do you think I could not read it the first time he put it in print? I can still express my opinion about it, and I do not need someone barking at me again. 

4 minutes ago, XX Man said:

Do you think I could not read it the first time he put it in print? I can still express my opinion about it, and I do not need someone barking at me again. 

I didn't bark, I replied to your comment. Yes, you can express your opinion up to a point.  

8 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Some criticism is fine, just not the constant bashing and making it personal. When every post a particular member makes is about bashing a coach, it's gone too far for that member.

The posting of the video is a prime example of coach bashing.

Folks have to understand the website side of this. We have to have good relationships with our local coaches. Those relationships are important to the success of this website.

I agree 112%. Some criticism is needed at times.

To be clear, the link was posted by a staff member. We make mistakes too. I take full responsibility for not following rules, allowing, and instigating others to do the same.

My apologies to all.

19 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

They absolutely should face even harsh criticism.  People should start petitions, play jokes like for sale signs, complain to the school board or anything else that is legal. Who has ever suggested otherwise? That is a ridiculous accusation. Also, criticism is allowed, bashing is not  

But like Clint Eastwood said in Gran Torino, “Get off my lawn!

This is a voluntary family site. Feel free to do anything elsewhere as the coaches are public figures…. just not on the setxsports lawn. 

A good friend of mine is a policeman investigator working in theft division (in another state, not Texas). He told me that one morning his first 3 phone calls of the day were a woman telling him that she could do his job better than him, a guy that told him he would have him fired by noon, and another guy that had been convicted of stealing that wanted the stolen property, saying he had served his sentence and paid his fine, so the stolen property should rightly be his.   

My policeman friend was telling this to a friend who happens to be a local HS coach, and the coach just nodded, smiled and said "well at least your job success doesn't depend on 16 year old kids". 

Coach bashing is done by morons that think they know more than they do because they sit in front of a TV for most college/pro games.. in turn making them believe that their knowledge supersedes the individuals that actually spend a majority of their week preparing, practice planning, studying game film, talking amongst actual peers/professionals in the field of coaching, facilitating practices, managing student/athletes on and off the field, juggling students' mental/psychological issues, holding students accountable for good/bad play and classroom behavioral circumstances, along with a limitless list of other dealings that go into what affects decisions made during a game.. while trying to win said game.

Coach bashing is also done by people that would've played D1 "but their coach didn't like them".  It probably had nothing to do with them being a below average player at an average (at best) high school with average to below average competition.  I'm sure that people who bash coaches spend some time coaching peewee and telling the kids/parents that they were All-State when they played and had chances to go pro but got hurt.  I'm sure that people who bash coaches couldn't do 10 pushups today or run 100 yards in an afternoon.

Change my mind. 

I know the athletes and coaches want to win. The decision was made by a group of people to take WOS in a different direction. That direction may work out in time or it may not. Time will tell. The fans at WOS have enjoyed success  for years and years. They are the bar that many schools are trying to reach. 

Respect the athletes and coaches ,they work hard all week.  If you do not like the direction don't bash on here, you can change the direction at the voter's box.

I believe there is a distinct difference between "coach bashing" and fair criticism and evalation. "Coach bashing" to me is when some poster(s) with a axe to grind hates a rival school, and repetativly bashes the rivals coach just because he happens to be the rivals coach. Or, a fan bashes his own coach because "Johnny ain't starting". We have clearly seen both 

Fair commentary is just that, expressing a view based on factual events or factual performances. If a coach comes to a winning program and the wheels soon fall off without an obvious reason, or, a coach behaves bad in public, brings negative attention, and his players and staff follows, then that is not "bashing", it actually needs to be called out and not swept under a rug. We have seen this too.  

Coaching is like every other profession. A few good ones, and few bad ones, and most are in the middle. Bell curve. No need to pretend all coaches are above ANY scrutiny. Thats not realistic. They are grown men who get all the credit when they win and get paid to do it. They have to accept the spotlight, whatever it may be.       

I just want to be clear that we are bring this rule up again for mostly the WOS folks??? One year out of the last how ever many they are not doing as good as some people think and everyone has lost their minds. I thought WOS got what they wanted?😅

On 9/26/2022 at 11:24 PM, CardinalBacker said:

I’m assuming this is satire… it’s satire right??? “Financial rewards, prestige, power, etc… “. 😂.  This may be the funniest comment I’ve seen on this page … and I’ve been around since about the first year or two… 😂. I needed this laugh… thank you… 😂 WOW 

It's a hard job. Sometimes the talent on the field just isn't good enough to win the game. You can have a well coached team that just got stuck in a rough district and that's the breaks.

These are children playing a game.

Just a few years ago, you had a hard time getting them to run in the right direction in pee wee ball. And you hated when the parents fussed at you when you were doing the best you could to show them the fundamentals of the game. Amplify this by a few thousand on Friday night and it would give you nightmares and ulcers.

Are the kids playing hard? Does he put the kids in the best position to win or at least be competitive? Do the kids execute and not beat themselves with silly unforced penalties? Do they look better every week, despite the score?

If you can answer yes, then give the guy some slack, even if you don't like the record. Only 12 teams are going to win the last game of the season.

That said, the head football coach is typically the second highest paid employee of the school district. He should not be above criticism. If he isn't cutting it, go attend a school board meeting and make your feelings known. If that doesn't work, then vote those bums out or run for a seat yourself.

But to hate on a man because he lost a game to a rival or better team is ridiculous. At this level, he is a teacher instructing kids on how to play the game properly, the value of team work, how to handle adversity and most importantly keep them safe.

18 hours ago, vhs said:

I’m assuming this is satire… it’s satire right??? “Financial rewards, prestige, power, etc… “. 😂.  This may be the funniest comment I’ve seen on this page … and I’ve been around since about the first year or two… 😂. I needed this laugh… thank you… 😂 WOW 

So why did 50+ coaches apply for the PNG job? 

It’s an ego trip, or they’d find a job with better hours. 

On 9/28/2022 at 9:07 AM, oldschool2 said:

Coach bashing is done by morons that think they know more than they do because they sit in front of a TV for most college/pro games.. in turn making them believe that their knowledge supersedes the individuals that actually spend a majority of their week preparing, practice planning, studying game film, talking amongst actual peers/professionals in the field of coaching, facilitating practices, managing student/athletes on and off the field, juggling students' mental/psychological issues, holding students accountable for good/bad play and classroom behavioral circumstances, along with a limitless list of other dealings that go into what affects decisions made during a game.. while trying to win said game.

Coach bashing is also done by people that would've played D1 "but their coach didn't like them".  It probably had nothing to do with them being a below average player at an average (at best) high school with average to below average competition.  I'm sure that people who bash coaches spend some time coaching peewee and telling the kids/parents that they were All-State when they played and had chances to go pro but got hurt.  I'm sure that people who bash coaches couldn't do 10 pushups today or run 100 yards in an afternoon.

Change my mind. 

Im pretty sure peewee coaches get bashed too. You can hear the parents yelling alot better from the sideline  then a highschool game because there is no band. Everyone wants tommy playing quarter back or running back. They have the next Joe Montana and Barry Sanders. If you know what im talking about lol

7 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

So why did 50+ coaches apply for the PNG job? 

It’s an ego trip, or they’d find a job with better hours. 

Solid program with a rich tradition and community support for the program… I know for sure it wasn’t for “financial reward, power, and prestige”