Todd Dodge- The Best To Ever Do It?

Dirty_but_Dazzling

Another interesting article.  The most enlightening part was Dodge’s inability to bring the necessary “it factor” to college ball (North Texas State).  He impressed “family/team” to the HS players.  They bought in.  Played as a team.  He couldn’t bring that same concept into college ball.  Shows that with many Coaches there’s more to winning than X’s & O’s.  I suppose with some Coaches that’s all there is - X-O.  No denying Dodge has done good.  A winner as a player & a Coach.  And I suspect, a winner as a leader of young men.

1 hour ago, Austin1985 said:

I think he was the best to maintain what was already established.  SLC and Westlake were already winning under previous regimes. He couldn't build anything at the other HS stops(names escape me) and North Texas.  So, there's that

I agree with not a program builder & got to give Dodge respect on his offensive schemes pushing S-Lake \Westlake over the top into dominating state title winning programs. 

Dodge's college coaching run was a dumpster fire. 

Cameron Yoe (8-12), Carrollton Newman (8-12), Keller Fossil Ridge (7-12) & Marble Falls (8-12)

North Texas (6-37)

56 minutes ago, Austin1985 said:

I think he was the best to maintain what was already established.  SLC and Westlake were already winning under previous regimes. He couldn't build anything at the other HS stops(names escape me) and North Texas.  So, there's that

Ok now...

He won state championships 4 out of 5 years with one loss in a one point game i the state championship in the other year. A near 5 year winning streak at SLC.

Takes a Westlake team with five losses and a second round drubbing at the hands of A&M Consolidated the year before he shows up and five years later he goes on to win three straight state championships with one one point loss sandwiched between 45 victories over those three years.

Westlake and SLC were and are consistently great programs. He turned them into two of the greatest dynasties Texas HS football has ever seen.

2 minutes ago, panamamyers said:

Ok now...

He won state championships 4 out of 5 years with one loss in a one point game i the state championship in the other year. A near 5 year winning streak at SLC.

Takes a Westlake team with five losses and a second round drubbing at the hands of A&M Consolidated the year before he shows up and five years later he goes on to win three straight state championships with one one point loss sandwiched between 45 victories over those three years.

Westlake and SLC were and are consistently great programs. He turned them into two of the greatest dynasties Texas HS football has ever seen.

I stand on what I said.  SLC were winning in the 90's in 3A.  Westlake was always Westlake.  KF put the records out of his previous HS starts.  Not a builder, but a maintainer.......

Southlake had won in the 90s but they had hit a lull before Dodge got there...the 5 years before Dodge arrived Carroll was 10-1, 3-6-1, 7-5, 12-2, 6-4.....not terrible but not Carroll....he got to Carroll and switched them from wishbone to spread and then guided them from old 4A to 5A winning state his third year...so he did kind of build Carroll in a way

30 minutes ago, Matthew328 said:

Southlake had won in the 90s but they had hit a lull before Dodge got there...the 5 years before Dodge arrived Carroll was 10-1, 3-6-1, 7-5, 12-2, 6-4.....not terrible but not Carroll....he got to Carroll and switched them from wishbone to spread and then guided them from old 4A to 5A winning state his third year...so he did kind of build Carroll in a way

That's like he bought a house and added a couple of rooms.  If SLC had no early success, then your point is valid.  And, what about the stops between North Texas and Westlake? 

Dodge is definitely in the convo for one of the greatest ever along with Gary Joseph (although he’s never won a title in the highest classification 5A/6A D1) & the guy from Aledo…however there’s a coach on the Eastside of Houston who’s won 4 titles (possibly 5 after this year) in only 8 short years as a head coach who may have something to say about that when it’s all set and done.

15 minutes ago, Austin1985 said:

That's like he bought a house and added a couple of rooms.  If SLC had no early success, then your point is valid.  And, what about the stops between North Texas and Westlake? 

Southlake was a program in decline at his arrival and they were about to jump from 4A-5A so he does deserve some credit in how he built Carroll back up and doing it while transitioning to the largest classification.

Another thing people dont realize is his two years at Fossil Ridge are underrated...he got there the school was in its third year of existence and had won just two games...he does 2-7 and 5-5 there and put some foundations in place to set them up to go 8-4 the year he left and then they made the semifinals...those seniors on that semifinal credit a lot of what was built to Dodge..

There's no doubt that Dodge's career is a bit of a roller coaster, but he did more building than he gets credit for also....

13 minutes ago, Coach_Izzy said:

Dodge is definitely in the convo for one of the greatest ever along with Gary Joseph (although he’s never won a title in the highest classification 5A/6A D1) & the guy from Aledo…however there’s a coach on the Eastside of Houston who’s won 4 titles (possibly 5 after this year) in only 8 short years as a head coach who may have something to say about that when it’s all set and done.

Buchanan at Aledo is probably already up there in Gordon Wood, GA Moore territory....267 wins and 7 titles is incredible...the 4 years he was AD Aledo from 2014-2018, Aledo went 75-4 w/3 titles....got to wonder if he added those 75 wins and 3 titles to the resume if he'd be considered the best of all-time to this point we are talking 342 wins and 10 state titles going into this season

If Surratt stays at Carthage long enough he'll be in the talks....189-29 fifteen years in and 8/8 in state title games....he's probably gonna get to 200 this year and they are the favorites to win number nine this season

10 minutes ago, Matthew328 said:

Buchanan at Aledo is probably already up there in Gordon Wood, GA Moore territory....267 wins and 7 titles is incredible...the 4 years he was AD Aledo from 2014-2018, Aledo went 75-4 w/3 titles....got to wonder if he added those 75 wins and 3 titles to the resume if he'd be considered the best of all-time to this point we are talking 342 wins and 10 state titles going into this season

If Surratt stays at Carthage long enough he'll be in the talks....189-29 fifteen years in and 8/8 in state title games....he's probably gonna get to 200 this year and they are the favorites to win number nine this season

I completely forgot about Surratt he’s definitely one to mention…but IMO it’s hard to be considered the greatest when you’re not winning at the highest level! It’s a huge difference between 6A D1 & everything else but that’s just my take. However can’t take winning for granted on any level cause it’s not easy to do.

2 minutes ago, Coach_Izzy said:

I completely forgot about Surratt he’s definitely one to mention…but IMO it’s hard to be considered the greatest when you’re not winning at the highest level! It’s a huge difference between 6A D1 & everything else but that’s just my take. However can’t take winning for granted on any level cause it’s not easy to do.

Sometimes its harder to win at small schools because the talents can ebb and flow something fierce...Gordon Wood and GA Moore never coached at the highest level but I think both sit on the Mt Rushmore of TXHSFB Coaches for sure...especially Wood who did it for an incredibly long time and in an area when only one team made the playoffs....Wood would have probably racked up well over 450 wins if he didnt miss the bulk of 3 seasons due to military service in WWII and there were several years his teams were really, really good but finished 2nd in district and missed the playoffs

1951: 9-1

1954: 9-1

1957: 8-2

1961: 8-1-1

1963: 8-2

1966: 8-2

1973: 9-1

1975: 8-2

Eight seasons of eight wins and not making the playoffs...gotta think a few playoff wins woulda happened in those years

2 minutes ago, Matthew328 said:

Sometimes its harder to win at small schools because the talents can ebb and flow something fierce...Gordon Wood and GA Moore never coached at the highest level but I think both sit on the Mt Rushmore of TXHSFB Coaches for sure...especially Wood who did it for an incredibly long time and in an area when only one team made the playoffs....Wood would have probably racked up well over 450 wins if he didnt miss the bulk of 3 seasons due to military service in WWII and there were several years his teams were really, really good but finished 2nd in district and missed the playoffs

1951: 9-1

1954: 9-1

1957: 8-2

1961: 8-1-1

1963: 8-2

1966: 8-2

1973: 9-1

1975: 8-2

Eight seasons of eight wins and not making the playoffs...gotta think a few playoff wins woulda happened in those years

Way before my time…but level of competition has to play a factor when considering who’s the greatest. That’s like ranking a D2 Head Coach over Saban because he’s won more games & titles.

4 hours ago, Matthew328 said:

You did mention the Aledo coach though and they've never been in 6A either though

I did out of respect…but my preference for the GOAT title in high school would be someone who’s done it at the highest level (5A/6A D1) For example give me Coach Kay over Gary Joseph even though both have the same amount of titles Joseph has never won a title in the D1 bracket! Just my take though

1 hour ago, Coach_Izzy said:

I did out of respect…but my preference for the GOAT title in high school would be someone who’s done it at the highest level (5A/6A D1) For example give me Coach Kay over Gary Joseph even though both have the same amount of titles Joseph has never won a title in the D1 bracket! Just my take though

Katy led by Coach Gary Joseph has beaten North Shore led by Coach John Kay six times out of 10 in head to head games up to 2019 regular season.  

In those 10 matchups Katy averaged 25.6 points, 299.6 yards, 32 td's to North Shore’s 18.4 points,  252.7 yards, and 26 td's.

1 hour ago, KF89 said:

Katy led by Coach Gary Joseph has beaten North Shore led by Coach John Kay six times out of 10 in head to head games up to 2019 regular season.  

In those 10 matchups Katy averaged 25.6 points, 299.6 yards, 32 td's to North Shore’s 18.4 points,  252.7 yards, and 26 td's.

Not sure where you get your statistics from my man but Kay has only coached against Katy 6 times since he’s been the head coach and is 4-2 against Gary Joseph…

20 hours ago, Coach_Izzy said:

Surratt at Carthage has entered the chat as well.

sorry, didn’t see it mentioned already. Disregard. Lol