Top Teams in SETX - 2022-2023

Bobcat1

On 11/22/2022 at 11:10 AM, bullets13 said:

I think we’re far enough into the season with enough results to say that HJ is still clearly better than BH.  

HJ is 7-2 with an OT loss to #11 9-0 6A Cinco Ranch, and a 6 point loss to #3 10-1 6A Summer Creek, a state semifinalist last year.  

BH is 9-5 with losses to #24 Judson (who HJ beat), West Brook, Cy Ranch, #19 Houston Memorial, and San Antonio Johnson.  All 6A schools, but West Brook is 9-5, Memorial 7-6, and Johnson 5-4.  Memorial beat them by 30.

WB was never 9-5. Please check TABC Rankings they are now 27-3

On 11/11/2022 at 1:08 PM, bullets13 said:

Did not, but that's not a game the "best team in the area" should be losing by 20.  West Brook isn't a bad team, but they're not that good.  They're coming off a season where they had a nice record, but racked up 10 of their 25 wins against bad teams from 5A, 4A, and even 3A.  HJ was 20 points better than them last year, and I guarantee you they're not 20 points worse than them this year.

You also mentioned WB wasn’t that good… however they are state ranked in the highest classification. Was that a typo as well?

55 minutes ago, Kowboy98 said:

You also mentioned WB wasn’t that good… however they are state ranked in the highest classification. Was that a typo as well?

They’ve been better than I thought they were.  I was going off of last season, and the start of this season, where they had a good record, but played a lot of teams in lower classifications to inflate their record.  They’ve played a better schedule this year, while also performing better.  So it wasn’t a typo, but I do admit that I misjudged them.  I still think HJ is the best team in the area, but I’d put WB at #2, where as a couple of months ago I would’ve placed them 4 or 5 probably.  

6 hours ago, bullets13 said:

They’ve been better than I thought they were.  I was going off of last season, and the start of this season, where they had a good record, but played a lot of teams in lower classifications to inflate their record.  They’ve played a better schedule this year, while also performing better.  So it wasn’t a typo, but I do admit that I misjudged them.  I still think HJ is the best team in the area, but I’d put WB at #2, where as a couple of months ago I would’ve placed them 4 or 5 probably.  

I would give the slight edge to WB based off of recent play (8Ws against 6A competition). Call it a wash with WB splitting with Summer Creek and HJ losing to them. Plus no Ashlon Jackson walking on the court 

18 minutes ago, Kowboy98 said:

I would give the slight edge to WB based off of recent play (8Ws against 6A competition). Call it a wash with WB splitting with Summer Creek and HJ losing to them. Plus no Ashlon Jackson walking on the court 

I’d still favor HJ in a matchup with beavers and sneed, but can’t argue that on paper it’s close.  West Brook has improved vastly this year on a solid squad from last year.  That said, the only reason HJ quit beating quality 6A competition is because they had to start district.  Would love to see them play a warmup game before playoffs.  It’s the only real local matchup that makes sense for either team trying to be challenged before the playoffs start 

6 hours ago, bullets13 said:

I’d still favor HJ in a matchup with beavers and sneed, but can’t argue that on paper it’s close.  West Brook has improved vastly this year on a solid squad from last year.  That said, the only reason HJ quit beating quality 6A competition is because they had to start district.  Would love to see them play a warmup game before playoffs.  It’s the only real local matchup that makes sense for either team trying to be challenged before the playoffs start 

Yes at Montagne Center. That would be a playoff atmosphere certainly 

On 2/2/2023 at 4:39 PM, bullets13 said:

Looks like BH came on strong and needs to be in the discussion. I think Carter finally just took over. 

1 hour ago, kenny powers said:

Looks like BH came on strong and needs to be in the discussion. I think Carter finally just took over. 

They're obviously good, but I don't really take into account what they've done in that district, which is truly bad.  No more than I'd give HJ any further credit for going undefeated in their district.  

On 2/6/2023 at 12:04 AM, Chrissmh said:

@FALCONS2026 @Bullets13 This is actually inaccurate information. The true story will be out soon enough. 

Nope completely accurate. I could write a novel about HOW it's accurate. There is no story to come out to justify your perspective. The truth was on display for everyone in the gym to watch. An out of control kid throwing 12 unprovoked punches at an innocent opponent. 

Why wasn't it broken up sooner you ask? Well because the on duty cops were in the parking lot dealing with the another player's dad who's been a cancer to the team after he got into an altercation with one the coaches at halftime. The whole thing has been a huge embarrassment to Huffman.

5 hours ago, FALCONS2026 said:

Nope completely accurate. I could write a novel about HOW it's accurate. There is no story to come out to justify your perspective. The truth was on display for everyone in the gym to watch. An out of control kid throwing 12 unprovoked punches at an innocent opponent. 

Why wasn't it broken up sooner you ask? Well because the on duty cops were in the parking lot dealing with the another player's dad who's been a cancer to the team after he got into an altercation with one the coaches at halftime. The whole thing has been a huge embarrassment to Huffman.

Where's the leadership in the athletic department, if this is going on? Are they stepping up to the plate to handle the issue, or are they allowing it to persist? 

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, kenny powers said:

Do we go ahead and crown BH now as the best team in SETX? 

I think you're safe to put them top 3.  Seeing as WB beat them by 20 this year, and they backed out of their matchup with HJ, that's about all I'm willing to give them at this point.  HJ has made it just as far as them in the playoffs.  They're both probably going to lose their next games.  If BH advances and HJ loses, I'd say you could make a decent argument, although I still think a healthy HJ is a slight favorite against them.  I'll definitely concede that BH has improved a lot from the start of the season.  3 weeks into the season I thought HJ was 20 points better than them.  Now I think it would be a great game.  To be fair, no beavers for the last month has brought HJ down some.  She's back, but not sure that she's all the way back yet.  

2 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

H-J squeaked by a 21-12 2nd place 4A team, BH squeaked by a 29-8 first place 5A Manvel team. BH is the better team now.  

BH had no business winning that game.  In fact, Manvel gave them that win, twice.  That said, if we're basing who's better off of one game, then HJ's win over 6A #4 Pearland makes them the better team, as that's a better win that BH's best win over FB Hightower.  HJ also beat Judson, who handily beat BH, and beat 5A #12 McKinney North.  HJ has 10 wins against 6A competition, a couple of those are ranked, and 8 of them had winning records, and several of them were "1st place teams", since that's part of how you're gauging things.  4 of HJ's 5 losses have come to 6A schools with winning records, including a 3-pt OT loss to Katy Cinco Ranch (24-11), a 6-pt loss to 6A #9 Summer Creek (31-4), a 6-pt loss to Sachse (26-10), and their one semi-bad loss of the season to 19-14 Dallas Skyline by 15.  HJ's other loss this season was by 5 to 27-4 Houston Christian, probably the best private school in state.  While HJ had to play 4A competition in district, and BH 5A, BH's district is not very good.  So all in all, HJ has more, better wins against a significantly tougher schedule that BH played, despite being a classification lower.  BH's losses are for the most part worse than HJ's as well.  

Having said all that, I think they're very close.  It's a shame BH backed out of their game to play Iowa Colony.  But the overall body of work this season points to HJ being the better team, and having the better season.  HJ playing the last month without 2nd best player (and post presence) has made a difference, but their overall resume is better.  I do think both teams lose their next game.  Waco La Vega is insanely good this year, and is probably a tougher opponent than Hendrickson, who's also very, very good.  

2 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

Don't continue to discredit the Lady Eagles. BH totally deserved to win it. BH was blowing Manvel out in the 1st half. Too many missed FT's helped let Manvel back in it. At this point Manvel would likely win over H-J.    

Manvel had the lead at the half.  Did manvel blow an 8 point lead late, and then inexplicably foul BH on a desperation half court heave in OT up 2?  If so, then BH shouldn’t have won.  They got beyond lucky.  In no way am I discrediting them.  They’re an extremely good team.  But in your post I quoted originally, the logic was flawed.  Taking two games and using that as your basis for BH being better didn’t really make sense.  Honest question: if that Manvel player hadn’t completely lost her mind and fouled on the half court shot, and BH lost, would that mean HJ is the better team now?  Like I said, I think they’re very close.  But HJ has had the better results for the season.  And BH playing in a 5A district is pretty irrelevant, because it’s a very bad district that HJ would’ve gone undefeated in as well.  Regardless, I’m rooting for both teams to keep winning and moving on.  They’re both excellent teams, facing excellent competition this week.  

I think BH has the best player but HJ probably has a better overall team and better coached.  I would have loved to have seen them play this year and better year as the warmup game before the playoffs vs the 1st game of the year. 

Does anyone know why Dalanna Carter is not signed though? She was getting D1 offers as a freshman so curious what the story is.

On 2/8/2023 at 1:47 PM, 2wedge said:

Where's the leadership in the athletic department, if this is going on? Are they stepping up to the plate to handle the issue, or are they allowing it to persist? 

On 2/8/2023 at 8:14 AM, FALCONS2026 said:

It is interesting how you have the facts in this case. Your ignorance speaks volumes. You apparently have no idea that the problems with this team started way before the HJ incident. But carry on with the lies. It’s the narrative that you and the coaching staff would like everyone to believe. Like I said, the full story will be out soon enough. 

On 2/8/2023 at 1:47 PM, 2wedge said:

And I really would like to read your novel. Let’s hear it. To the response, where is the leadership….unfortunately there is none. If there was, I can guarantee the season would have not played out the way it did. 

2 hours ago, Chrissmh said:

And I really would like to read your novel. Let’s hear it. To the response, where is the leadership….unfortunately there is none. If there was, I can guarantee the season would have not played out the way it did. 

How long until the “real” story is out there? It’s been months since the incident  took place 

On 2/6/2023 at 12:04 AM, Chrissmh said:

@FALCONS2026 @Bullets13 This is actually inaccurate information. The true story will be out soon enough. 

So allow me to give some factual insight to what really happened. The Coach Breanda Nichols is a know racist and has been displaying racist actions towards minority kids dating back to her being fired at SHSU as the coach. She moves into this town, takes a team of girls who have been playing together since Lil dribblers and never had any problems with racism.  She comes in at the directive and support of a Superintendent that supports her portion to get these black kids under control. Being that Coach Nichols have never won nor Huffman girls hoops,, she discovered quickly that she had the talent to be successful.  She started her BS last year as the other poster stated but it didn't catch up to us until the Regional Tournament.  5 underclassmen, 5 starters return and she was to sorry to set a competitive schedule and play a full season to get the girls ready to compete for a chance to go to state. She tried to kick off one of the black players for asking her ,why are you treating us differently? A white parent on the team also admitted the coach was mistreating black players.the black players along with several non black team mates walked off the team to support their teammate. Now this is were you come in Falcon 26 or should I say Mr freshman dad (need I call your name DD?) Your kid finally got a chance to play because she should have been on the freshman c team. Your freshman shark gets an opportunity to play on the big stage and your happy and gay (literally) 

As the whole state can see, this team was lead by two players that were two of the best in the region and a racist coach who hated one player enough to try to put her off the team and make the other one so miserable she decided to quit slaving for that coach and let every see the truth. Look at the bright side 26.... your kid won't see 26 wins in her career and you should probably pull your Hood off and talk about what really took place and not your racist perspective.  Furthermore,  I'm sure those black dads your talking about would love to have a discussion with you about your differences but I'll bet your too big of a Coward to approach them. So keep hiding behind a chat group or say what you feel to the people that matter ! Coward