St. Louis Saints vs Vidor Pirates

Mr. Thornton Melon

17 hours ago, Bigdog said:

I don't speak for the Vidor fans, but I would say they are looking for more consistency from their team.   Vidor seems to go up for a couple of seasons and then back down again.  Staying in the top tier of the district and making the playoffs more often would be moving forward for the program.

They better get it figured out before 2024 season when they move up a classification. Lol

On 9/14/2022 at 12:22 PM, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

The water has to be drinkable. The kids know the game plan stinks and that's why they don't buy in. The kids know that the coaches don't believe in their athletic ability and that's why we are still sub .500 Slot-Ting it 23 years later.

I agree. Coach Matthews has said in interviews that Vidor runs its system because they don’t have the personnel to run other systems. That’s foolishness. The spread, for example, was created for teams that aren’t as fast or big as their opponents. Vidor is not significantly different in terms of speed or body types or lack of actual athletes than PNG and Nederland. If PNG and Nederland can run modern offenses, so can Vidor. The worst part is Vidor isn’t even executing their Slot-T offense as well as they could. Liberty Hill runs a similar offense and is nearly unstoppable. They don’t appear to be bigger or faster than their opponents. They just run their system so well it’s hard for even more athletic teams to keep up (Crosby took all it had and then some to beat LH in 2020, and never actually stopped their offense). But are Vidor’s players less athletic, less intelligent, less willing to play than comparable school, less tough? No. Vidor’s problems are 100%, and have always been, a problem of teaching. Get coaches that believe in the players and don’t blame the players for the coach not knowing how to teach more balanced systems, and Vidor starts winning a lot more games a lot more consistently. 

13 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

I agree. Coach Matthews has said in interviews that Vidor runs its system because they don’t have the personnel to run other systems. That’s foolishness. The spread, for example, was created for teams that aren’t as fast or big as their opponents. Vidor is not significantly different in terms of speed or body types or lack of actual athletes than PNG and Nederland. If PNG and Nederland can run modern offenses, so can Vidor. The worst part is Vidor isn’t even executing their Slot-T offense as well as they could. Liberty Hill runs a similar offense and is nearly unstoppable. They don’t appear to be bigger or faster than their opponents. They just run their system so well it’s hard for even more athletic teams to keep up (Crosby took all it had and then some to beat LH in 2020, and never actually stopped their offense). But are Vidor’s players less athletic, less intelligent, less willing to play than comparable school, less tough? No. Vidor’s problems are 100%, and have always been, a problem of teaching. Get coaches that believe in the players and don’t blame the players for the coach not knowing how to teach more balanced systems, and Vidor starts winning a lot more games a lot more consistently. 

I still don't see what's wrong with trying to out think the opposing coach . It's okay to blame the kids but not the coach

33 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Ok, I'll bite.  Vidor's problem have NOT always been a problem of teaching.  In the 90's Vidor lined up against North Shore, WB, Central, both Baytowns...but I don't need to tell you that cause PNG was in the same boat.  It was a no win situation lol. 

Somewhere between Mathews first few years as a HC till now he lost sight of his kids athletic ability.  I know the talent is there to run another style of offense.  Till it changes, I'll still support the all the Coaches and the kids.

1 hour ago, BigEnosBurdette said:

Ok, I'll bite.  Vidor's problem have NOT always been a problem of teaching.  In the 90's Vidor lined up against North Shore, WB, Central, both Baytowns...but I don't need to tell you that cause PNG was in the same boat.  It was a no win situation lol. 

Somewhere between Mathews first few years as a HC till now he lost sight of his kids athletic ability.  I know the talent is there to run another style of offense.  Till it changes, I'll still support the all the Coaches and the kids.

Nobody was complaining when they won District last year. They would have went further in the playoffs also if there top 4 running backs were not hurt. I also believe they could run another offense but this scheme is what we’re running now so I’ll continue to support the coaches and team regardless of all the Ya Ya from all the bleacher coaches.

36 minutes ago, Unwoke said:

Nobody was complaining when they won District last year. They would have went further in the playoffs also if there top 4 running backs were not hurt. I also believe they could run another offense but this scheme is what we’re running now so I’ll continue to support the coaches and team regardless of all the Ya Ya from all the bleacher coaches.

Everything was all good in Pirate land last year!  I 110% believe Vidor would have won a couple, few playoffs game if the team would have been healthy but injuries are part of football...hell they lost their coach on the way to the game! But you know as well as I do that its always easier to criticize a coach, team when things are going bad. The one thing you NEVER hear is people thoughts on how to right the ship.

7 minutes ago, raideroldtimer said:

We were in 5A with Central, PNG, Nederland, Vidor, Ozen and Dayton in their hey day.

I'm talking about.....North Shore with Tiki Hardeman (A&M RB), WB with James Brown (UT QB), Central with Leeland McElroy (A&M and a few NFL teams), Baytown Lee with Clint Stoerner (Arkansas and a few NFL teams) and I'm leaving out a ton of other guys that made it from 22-5A

5 minutes ago, BigEnosBurdette said:

I'm talking about.....North Shore with Tiki Hardeman (A&M RB), WB with James Brown (UT QB), Central with Leeland McElroy (A&M and a few NFL teams), Baytown Lee with Clint Stoerner (Arkansas and a few NFL teams) and I'm leaving out a ton of other guys that made it from 22-5A

By the time Lumberton ever gets that big there will be a class 7, class 8, class..... No way we ever grow that big, not enough land.😁😉

6 minutes ago, raideroldtimer said:

By the time Lumberton ever gets that big there will be a class 7, class 8, class..... No way we ever grow that big, not enough land.😁😉

You are correct, there will be higher classes in the years to come. 

I just like mentioning Vidor playing in 22-5A and against the likes of the schools named.  Only cause people like to talk about Vidor and being a historically losing school... yeah our records is not historically good... we had to play schools with NLF caliber players weekly

2 hours ago, BigEnosBurdette said:

You are correct, there will be higher classes in the years to come. 

I just like mentioning Vidor playing in 22-5A and against the likes of the schools named.  Only cause people like to talk about Vidor and being a historically losing school... yeah our records is not historically good... we had to play schools with NLF caliber players weekly

Actually, while I love ragging on Snuff Gully, I think of our schools as being a lot alike. Kind of vanilla when it comes to talent, we put together great teams occasionally but we don't have the feeder schools like the Jefferson County schools to keep a steady stream of Great talent coming through and we haven't been able to build the culture of a West Orange Stark whose beginning football camp is more like the Navy Seals to our US Air Force typing  pool. We just have to find our way and brag loud when we come up with wins. 😉And in our case have a fan who'll drop a dime to the UIL when needed😂😇. LOL, sorry, had to take the shot.

10 hours ago, Unwoke said:

sub .500 / 23 years