Honoring Black high schools that are no longer open

On 8/8/2022 at 8:42 PM, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

BCP Cougars

BCP had a lot of black students, but I don’t know if I’d call it a black high school.  They did have a very diverse student body.  My (white) mother graduated from there in ‘79.  I’ve seen her yearbooks and I bet the student body was around 50/50.  

edit: I commented before I read through the thread and saw that others already made this point.  

On 8/9/2022 at 11:25 AM, Bulldogs92 said:

Jasper's J.H. Rowe High School. I have a ton of love for the schools that were rivals of the Bulldogs, too, like Lincoln and Hebert. Bringing this subject up is a great idea. 

Ah, Rowe High School. In the early to mid sixties we loved to go watch them play football. You might not believe this; but they sure seemed to be a lot faster afoot than we were used to seeing!

11 hours ago, j_dog said:

Ah, Rowe High School. In the early to mid sixties we loved to go watch them play football. You might not believe this; but they sure seemed to be a lot faster afoot than we were used to seeing!

When did JHS integrate? I would guess the overall level of play got better in a hurry at that point. 

There was Waldo Matthews high school in Silsbee.  Has anyone posted about this yet? Waldo Matthews played football games against the black high school in Livingston.  I don't know the school's official name.  We just referred to them as Livingston.  Same for Liberty. WM probably played games with a similar Jasper school but I don't remember any of those games.  I remember a playoff football game against Bay City.  Silsbee WM was totally whipped in that game.  Another game we played Lake Charles Boston.  WM was totally out classed in everything.  Boston had nice buses, a big fully uniformed band. They had everything.  

On 8/12/2022 at 6:57 PM, Hagar said:

As I remember the rivalry between Hebert vs Charton-Pollard was comparable to MCM.  A big attention getter for many fans, black & white.

I remember my uncle Herman took me and grand paw to that game. It was at a known stadium somewhere in Beaumont.  That is one of my earliest memories of high school football in the 409.

In my opinion, the best rivalry of black schools back in the day was Charleton-Pollard vs. Hebert. My dad used to call those games the last few years they were around and our family would go watch. The games were always fantastic and the half time shows were second to none, from start to stop the games were a blast to go see. It was almost like a carnival atmosphere. They were held at Lamar all the times I went and it was standing room only.