Honoring Black high schools that are no longer open

1 hour ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

No problem with honoring whoever. Here in Orange it would be Wallace high. Look em up if you don't know.

This is the hidden content, please

Idk about them. The reason why I said not still open. Because, historical black high schools in the big cities some of them are still open. 

What is a historical Black high school in reference to this thread?

In my opinion those were high schools for Black students because they were not allowed in White schools.

I believe that most or probably all of them for sports played in the Prairie View Interscholastic League because like the high schools, Black high schools were not allowed in the current UIL. These schools no longer exist and any reference to them as a throw-back honor would truly be for a “former” historical Black high school.

In Jefferson County I can think of three school districts with historical Black high schools but maybe there were others. Those were PAISD Lincoln, BISD Charlton Pollard (not to be confused with BCP) and SPISD Hebert.

Hebert Panthers (Blue/Gold?)

Charlton-Pollard Bulldogs (Blue/White?)

Lincoln Bumblebees (Purple/Gold)

Any others?

6 hours ago, tvc184 said:

In my opinion those were high schools for Black students because they were not allowed in White schools.

I believe that most or probably all of them for sports played in the Prairie View Interscholastic League because like the high schools, Black high schools were not allowed in the current UIL. These schools no longer exist and any reference to them as a throw-back honor would truly be for a “former” historical Black high school.

In Jefferson County I can think of three school districts with historical Black high schools but maybe there were others. Those were PAISD Lincoln, BISD Charlton Pollard (not to be confused with BCP) and SPISD Hebert.

Any others?

Orange Wallace, Galveston Central, Baytown Carver

Any others?

Silsbee's Waldo Mathews HS

Any others?

Jasper Rowe

8 hours ago, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

Central Jaguars were a black school and no the 6 Caucasians walking the halls don't count

Don’t confuse a majority Black campus by population with a historically Black school.

For a history lesson, it goes back to a Supreme Court ruling 130 years ago in Plessy v. Ferguson. In that ruling the Supreme Court said that concept of “separate but equal” was not in itself discrimination and so state mandated segregation of the races was not unconstitutional under the 14th Amendment. (passed in 1868, right after the Civil War)

So some states allowed or mandated separate schools for Blacks.

Those separate schools were because Blacks weren’t allowed in other schools. That was the legality of the then historical Black schools.

My mother graduated from Beaumont High School which was a (one of the) White campus in BISD and it later merged with Charlton-Pollard also of BISD, the historical Black school for that district. That created BCP. 

BCP then later combined with the other BISD high school, French, to form Central.  (French was for a short time in FISD) So what was eventually Central high school was the combination of the two White high schools of BISD and the Black high school. So French ISD was taken into Beaumont ISD which was later taken into South Park ISD to form today’s BISD which started as 3 different districts.

I believe that is the meaning of a historical Black school. It was a school created by forced segregation.

That was overturned 62 years later by the Supreme Court case of Brown v. Board of Education, although I think it took the Civil Rights of 1964 to start enforcing  it. 

35 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

Don’t confuse a majority Black campus by population with a historically Black school.

For a history lesson, it goes back to a Supreme Court ruling 130 years ago in Plessy v. Ferguson. In that ruling the Supreme Court said that concept of “separate but equal” was not in itself discrimination and so state mandated segregation of the races was not unconstitutional under the 14th Amendment. (passed in 1868, right after the Civil War)

So some states allowed or mandated separate schools for Blacks.

Those separate schools were because Blacks weren’t allowed in other schools. That was the legality of the then historical Black schools.

My mother graduated from Beaumont High School which was a (one of the) White campus in BISD and it later merged with Charlton-Pollard also of BISD, the historical Black school for that district. That created BCP. 

BCP then later combined with the other BISD high school, French, to form Central.  (French was for a short time in FISD) So what was eventually Central high school was the combination of the two White high schools of BISD and the Black high school. So French ISD was taken into Beaumont ISD which was later taken into South Park ISD to form today’s BISD which started as 3 different districts.

I believe that is the meaning of a historical Black school. It was a school created by forced segregation.

That was overturned 62 years later by the Supreme Court case of Brown v. Board of Education, although I think it took the Civil Rights of 1964 to start enforcing  it. 

Bingo...great history lesson......