WOS VS Woodville scrimmage

Stangfan#1

1 hour ago, wo-s#1 said:

Agree…and I guess we definitely need a kicker it sounds like!I missed the scrimmage today so don’t really have an opinion…btw what kind of D were we trying to run?

My understanding is that WOS rarely has a good kicker because the soccer boys can't handle the pressure of the Mustangs' hard core practicing.

1 hour ago, wo-s#1 said:

Agree…and I guess we definitely need a kicker it sounds like!I missed the scrimmage today so don’t really have an opinion…btw what kind of D were we trying to run?

Kickoffs weren't good. Was that not the same kicker from last year? Thought Polio was a JR last year.

Multiple Fronts

And I thought maybe they stopped after 3 qtrs. They did keep playing while most of us ducked out of the rain. Then the rain stopped before the scrimmage was over. So they could've played more.

1 hour ago, wo-s#1 said:

4/2/5.the talent is there. But we have  alot of new coaches.with a young team. I don't mind some of the changes on offense.and yes they need a kicker.but, when young kids learning a new defense on the fly.its hard.they will attach the ball.but hopefully they don't get out of position from learning on the fly.i guess when CT was there I never worried abt the defense.he knew how to get the younger kids up to par. But,I do think this team can have alot of depth they haven't had in a while.

2 hours ago, dj said:

4/2/5.the talent is there. But we have  alot of new coaches.with a young team. I don't mind some of the changes on offense.and yes they need a kicker.but, when young kids learning a new defense on the fly.its hard.they will attach the ball.but hopefully they don't get out of position from learning on the fly.i guess when CT was there I never worried abt the defense.he knew how to get the younger kids up to par. But,I do think this team can have alot of depth they haven't had in a while.

Change of any kind is usually tough,these kids been in a 50 since peewee….guess we’ll see.The only way I see it is we always been about stopping the run ,hard to do in that D,but at the same time offenses are changing 🤷‍♂️

From everything I've heard, WOS will stay in the 50. We've always dropped the rover into coverage in situations which would give you a 4 man front. I didn't see the scrimmage, but I'd guess that's what happened. If WV was throwing it around or were in passing situations often that would explain it.

We'll know more after next week vs Vidor. The 50 has been our thing for so long that just seeing anything different wasn't right to me. The defense seemed a lil confused and out of place at times, but maybe that was me getting used to it. Either way, these kids haven't forgot how to tackle, lost size or speed. Actually I think they in better shape early because of new S&C.

7 hours ago, ladybug33 said:

My brother went to the game. He is concerned about the defense being changed from the "50". It seems to me that Woodville didn't score so maybe that counts for something. 

Woodville has moved a WR to QB because theirs moved if I’m correct. I’d imagine their offense probably isn’t the greatest right now. But either way it’s the first scrimmage 

13 hours ago, ladybug33 said:

My brother went to the game. He is concerned about the defense being changed from the "50". It seems to me that Woodville didn't score so maybe that counts 

I truly believe if they would just leave them in the 50 they will be fine.but,learning on the fly a new defense worry me.i just hope the coaches sees this.before the games count.

I hate the bad talk on here about our mustangs but we will see I think we going to be alright all of these kids got each other back and I think west orange is going to get the defense going and I think they is going to be hard to beat just saying they work hard all summer long some they want to go far this year I have faith with our boys 

8 hours ago, dj said:

I truly believe if they would just leave them in the 50 they will be fine.but,learning on the fly a new defense worry me.i just hope the coaches sees this.before the games count.

Odd vs Even front is not "rocket science". The coaches do not need to "see" anything, and the kids could care less what front they are running. Fronts can be changed frequently depending upon personnel. Seems like if WV was shut out, WOS defense looked decent. Fans need to "pump the brakes" on looking for a failure.

So nobody is going to give Woodville’s 4-2-5 any credit? 2 TDS given the entire scrimmage? Against one of the top programs in Texas Football history? I was there and one (if not both) should have been blown dead. Those boys (who mostly played both ways) came to play. Even after the 2 defense came in, they still didn’t give up anything while QB1 and RB1 from WOS when in there! Kudos to the players and coaches from Woodville!!

4 minutes ago, Woodville4Ever said:

So nobody is going to give Woodville’s 4-2-5 any credit? 2 TDS given the entire scrimmage? Against one of the top programs in Texas Football history? I was there and one (if not both) should have been blown dead. Those boys (who mostly played both ways) came to play. Even after the 2 defense came in, they still didn’t give up anything while QB1 and RB1 from WOS when in there! Kudos to the players and coaches from Woodville!!

We must've seen 2 different scrimmages. I recall 3 scores but who's counting. Credit WV with everything they did well. Don't let the Eagles head swell too big. Be proud of what they accomplished against us. Takes guts to come to our place for any competition. I see WV as a winner or runner up in their district. Good luck the rest of the season. 

17 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

We must've seen 2 different scrimmages. I recall 3 scores but who's counting. Credit WV with everything they did well. Don't let the Eagles head swell too big. Be proud of what they accomplished against us. Takes guts to come to our place for any competition. I see WV as a winner or runner up in their district. Good luck the rest of the season. 

I agree. I watched 2 different games much of last season as well, our defense is our strength. Offensively we are better than last year due to our wr turned QB but as last year we cannot score. Offensively we are in bad shape. 

13 minutes ago, longball24 said:

I agree. I watched 2 different games much of last season as well, our defense is our strength. Offensively we are better than last year due to our wr turned QB but as last year we cannot score. Offensively we are in bad shape. 

"Offensively we are better than last year" followed by "Offensively we are in bad shape". Which is it? Better? or bad shape?

3 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Don't let the Eagles head swell too big. Be proud of what they accomplished against us. Takes guts to come to our place for any competition. I see WV as a winner or runner up in their district. Good luck the rest of the season. 

Exactly. I wasn't there but I can say for sure we're not at the level we want to be yet. Not going to get there by pretending you've already arrived. Everyone knows the defense is solid because we have a couple studs on that side. There's a couple holes there too and there's definitely room for improvement though. Offensively you can't be anywhere close if your putting up goose eggs. There's nothing to be overly hyped about and nothing to be down about either. Just got some good reps in against a really good program. Hopefully it helps toward a great season. 

8 minutes ago, Setx fan said:

Exactly. I wasn't there but I can say for sure we're not at the level we want to be yet. Not going to get there by pretending you've already arrived. Everyone knows the defense is solid because we have a couple studs on that side. There's a couple holes there too and there's definitely room for improvement though. Offensively you can't be anywhere close if your putting up goose eggs. There's nothing to be overly hyped about and nothing to be down about either. Just got some good reps in against a really good program. Hopefully it helps toward a great season. 

Agree with this completely. Now let's see if they can compete with these 2. Again it takes guts to play state championship caliber teams when you don't have to.

Aug. 26 - at Franklin, 7:30pm

Sept. 2 - Newton, 7:30pm

• WOSdrummer99 changed the title to WOS VS Woodville scrimmage
4 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

"Offensively we are better than last year" followed by "Offensively we are in bad shape". Which is it? Better? or bad shape?

Offensively we are better because of our WR/QB he is the best and smartest athlete on the field at that time. However we never seem to have a dynamic offense that can score and keep scoring when you have to put up a lot of points to stay in shootouts hence 56 to 6 to Lorena. Look and see how many games Woodville has put up 60 or more on their opponents in the past 5 years.

30 minutes ago, longball24 said:

Offensively we are better because of our WR/QB he is the best and smartest athlete on the field at that time. However we never seem to have a dynamic offense that can score and keep scoring when you have to put up a lot of points to stay in shootouts hence 56 to 6 to Lorena. Look and see how many games Woodville has put up 60 or more on their opponents in the past 5 years.

The WR at QB leaves us one playmaker short out wide. He's also a good lead blocker in the little screen plays and what not. All that to put him in a position he has very little experience playing on the varsity level. Not that I think he's bad at QB. I just think we have a couple better options. I think he's a really good tight end/receiver and that's where he should stay 

2 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Name the scores….outside zone to the left during the controlled period was the first. The next was a deep pass during the live period.

OZ forward progress was stopped but no whistle. Long pass was after the ball was snapped over the QBs head that should have been blown dead.

24 minutes ago, Woodville4Ever said:

Name the scores….outside zone to the left during the controlled period was the first. The next was a deep pass during the live period.

OZ forward progress was stopped but no whistle. Long pass was after the ball was snapped over the QBs head that should have been blown dead.

Yes sir. Scoreboard said 19-0 in the rear view. Good luck this week

On 8/14/2022 at 1:15 PM, longball24 said:

It would be nice if you guys had a Zach 2.0 this year!