Vidor Pirates 2022 Preview

jdawg03

2022 SETXsports Team Previews
3qbswg1p4x42eGQdC8saacthpBEPxkrccKILySKd

School Name: Vidor High School
Mascot: Pirates

Head Coach Name: Jeff Mathews
At Current School Since: 1999

Assistant Coaches: Mike Trahan, Darin Fletcher, Jeremy Gray, Free Charlton, Blake Peveto, Jason Tharp, Derik Peveto, Caleb Dubois, Rodney Burks, Taran Hebert, Randy Richard, TJ Light  

2021 Season Results

Last year the Vidor  Pirates  finished the season with a record of 9 and 2. The Pirates  competed in district 10--4A Div 1 and finished in 1st place with a record of 9 wins and 2 losses.

2021 Playoffs Round Reached- BiDistrict Round

2022 Season Preview

Offensively, the Pirates will run the slot t offense. In 2022, Look out for key returning players:
Jason Watson  fb, Ricky Gall. hb, Landon Wilcoxson c, Jesse Myers G, Brooklyn Freeman G, AJ Tatum Ot, Brayden Root Se.

Also, Jarret Odom qb
—-could make a big impact on the offense this year.

On the defensive side of the ball, look for these returning players to make a big impact on defense this year:
Jarrett Odom lb, Jason Watson de, Tate Ardis lb, Bryce DuBois cb, Dane Villadson cb, Lance Beavers safety, Westin Baker safety

Vidor will be running the 3-4 defense this year.

Lastly, notable special teams player(s) to watch include: 

Lance Beavers punter

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking the Pirates suffered in some past years not having a few kids playing both ways, now it appears maybe to many going both ways.  Any Pirate fans that have paid attention have opinions?  I’m on the outside looking in.  Might be totally off base and would appreciate some insight.

7 minutes ago, Hagar said:

I was thinking the Pirates suffered in some past years not having a few kids playing both ways, now it appears maybe to many going both ways.  Any Pirate fans that have paid attention have opinions?  I’m on the outside looking in.  Might be totally off base and would appreciate some insight.

Well I am of the belief that if you don’t have to go both ways then don’t but sometimes you don’t have a choice if you want to be competitive. But of course some positions don’t require as much running as others. I didn’t realize we were missing 4 running backs going into that playoff game last year. That’s a huge hurdle to over come in our offense. I knew our top 2 were out but missing 4 was News to me. Those boys competed regardless. Still come close to pulling it off. The comment from the P.A. Trash Dumpster saying that Chapel Hill held back was BS. I doubt they wanted the Pirates with the ball on there own 20 yard line with a 1st down and 1:15 remaining on the clock with the score being 25 to 20 at that point. Maybe the questionable play calling in that situation had to do with the fact Matthews wasn’t there but they certainly had their opportunity to win that game. 

5 hours ago, Unwoke said:

Well I am of the belief that if you don’t have to go both ways then don’t but sometimes you don’t have a choice if you want to be competitive. But of course some positions don’t require as much running as others. I didn’t realize we were missing 4 running backs going into that playoff game last year. That’s a huge hurdle to over come in our offense. I knew our top 2 were out but missing 4 was News to me. Those boys competed regardless. Still come close to pulling it off. The comment from the P.A. Trash Dumpster saying that Chapel Hill held back was BS. I doubt they wanted the Pirates with the ball on there own 20 yard line with a 1st down and 1:15 remaining on the clock with the score being 25 to 20 at that point. Maybe the questionable play calling in that situation had to do with the fact Matthews wasn’t there but they certainly had their opportunity to win that game. 

I know Gall, Sepulveda and Watson were out.