There was a time being 8-0-2 CO District Champs wasn't enough to make playoffs

Back at the beginning of the glorious 80s the Jasper Bulldogs of 1980 was "that" team.

Gave up only 63 points all season. Tied Huntsville in pre District 15-15. Next to last District game tied Beaumont Hebert 10-10 (with Hebert declared the winner via penetrations).  Only one team went to playoffs back then.

LOL.   Hebert was beat by Huntsville in playoffs, who went on to beat Paris in state title game.

I prefer it when only 2 teams went. I was ok with 3 with the district champ receiving a bye. Never been fond of 4 going to playoffs but it is what it is.

My main reason for not liking 4 is when 4 teams go out of a 4 or 5 team district. I think you should have at minimum 6 or more teams in a district if you are going to send 4. Or at least make the 4-5 team districts play each other twice for district play.

Also, I think all district champs in all classifications should host 1st round games. A little incentive to win a district title.

Just now, AggiesAreWe said:

I prefer it when only 2 teams went. I was ok with 3 with the district champ receiving a bye. Never been fond of 4 going to playoffs but it is what it is.

My main reason for not liking 4 is when 4 teams go out of a 4 or 5 team district. I think you should have at minimum 6 or more teams in a district if you are going to send 4. Or at least make the 4-5 team districts play each other twice for district play.

Also, I think all district champs in all classifications should host 1st round games. A little incentive to win a district title.

Actually asked the UIL about that part and they said right now the majority of 4A and below schools do not want to host in Rd 1

28 minutes ago, Matthew328 said:

Actually asked the UIL about that part and they said right now the majority of 4A and below schools do not want to host in Rd 1

Maybe most of them would like to make a trip to a big time stadium an hour or so away. Personally I'd love a home playoff game. But then again our stadium is plenty big enough. Imagine a team like Belleville, with a crowd of fans traveling to a small stadium like Orangefield for Rd 1. For the bigger classifications it's not as much a problem.

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Personally, I became a HUGE fan of 3 teams making playoffs when it started in 2004.  

In 2004 we lost to Kirbyville, then lost to Silsbee in last District game of the year. We were 3rd in District.

We lost to Gilmer 49-47 in State Title Game. 😢 

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Every now and then, during the early days of 4 teams getting in, there were districts with only 4 teams so there was that.......

I was in the 10th when the UIL allowed 2 teams.  West Brook would like to have a word with you 1 teamers.  Also, we finished 2nd during our 1st semi final run in '83

51 minutes ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

Personally, I became a HUGE fan of 3 teams making playoffs when it started in 2004.  

In 2004 we lost to Kirbyville, then lost to Silsbee in last District game of the year. We were 3rd in District.

We lost to Gilmer 49-47 in State Title Game. 😢 

Thought 3 teams started making the playoffs in the 90s.........at least from the article I read recently.. 

And I still say the Jasper QB wasn't out of bounds (IYKYK)....that game is still on YouTube btw. 

33 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Thought 3 teams started making the playoffs in the 90s.........at least from the article I read recently.. 

And I still say the Jasper QB wasn't out of bounds (IYKYK)....that game is still on YouTube btw. 

1998 was when all classifications sent 3 teams.

50 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

I stand corrected on the 3 teams advancing.  During that time us making playoffs was not an issue, so I got mixed up on that....APPARENTLY!   LOL.

what game are you referring to with QB out of bounds? Silsbee? 

Gilbert fumbled the ball at the goal line last play of game.

3 minutes ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

I stand corrected on the 3 teams advancing.  During that time us making playoffs was not an issue, so I got mixed up on that....APPARENTLY!   LOL.

what game are you referring to with QB out of bounds? Silsbee? 

Gilbert fumbled the ball at the goal line last play of game.

No, the game I put in bold, Gilmer game. Patton #2 was in at QB if I remember correctly. 

27 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

No, the game I put in bold, Gilmer game. 

mmmmm....Trust me I was there. This is the first I have EVER heard of controversy of Gilbert being out of bounds.

The main sketchy call was the refs saying Jordan Patton did  not cross the goal line on the 2 pt attempt to tie the game at that point.

9 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I like the three! In 2004, the one time Jasper made it to the State Finals, they finished third in the district.