Turf vs Grass

monknuk

4 hours ago, monknuk said:

Call me old fashioned but I like watching and played on grass fields. Is grass fields going the way of the dodo? Just an opinion. Is it all about money and recruiting?

I'm all for grass fields.  Less injuries but more upkeep.  I'd take less injuries over more upkeep but thats just me.

There are studies both ways regarding injuries. 

With HJ’s stadium being in a low-lying area, the durability of turf in wet weather plays a huge part of going that route. It’s a big deal also that football, soccer, band, dance team, and other groups all get to actually practice on the performance field since they won’t be rutting it up.  Frees up other practice fields for middle school and sub-varsity teams. 

3 minutes ago, drewlsu said:

There are studies both ways regarding injuries. 

With HJ’s stadium being in a low-lying area, the durability of turf in wet weather plays a huge part of going that route. It’s a big deal also that football, soccer, band, dance team, and other groups all get to actually practice on the performance field since they won’t be rutting it up.  Frees up other practice fields for middle school and sub-varsity teams. 

I spoke with Dr. David Lintner and got his thoughts on turf vs grass.  If not familiar with Dr. Lintner...Google.  He said in his practice he sees more serious injuries from artificial playing surfaces than from grass.  Grass gives and eventually breaks away with enough force/pressure.  Turf gives but not to a breaking point.

Again, this is coming from a Dr. with a few years under his belt.  

Comparing natural turf to artificial turf is not an entirely fair comparison.  A well-maintained natural turf field is usually preferred by those who have the money and manpower to maintain them.  At the high school level, most fields must be multi-use facilities thus adding the demand of saving money over the long term.  The old school Astroturf was brutal for causing many knee injuries because it had superior (dangerously) traction but with bad consequences.  The newer artificial turf is much superior in it's playability and ability to mimic natural turf.  Costs of artificial turf have dramatically been reduced compared to 10-20 years ago.  More companies competing for the market helps as well.  The most recent version of these artificial turf fields have the features of not holding/transferring heat by the use of different "pellets".  I am very happy that many more schools are able to install a safer artificial turf so that many programs, (football, band, drill team, soccer, etc.) can train, practice, and play on safer field.

26 minutes ago, aTmfan06 said:

I’d imagine the grass at those stadiums is maintained a lot better than high school stadiums to be fair 

The poster did not specify if that was meant only for Liberty stadium or that was for all grass stadiums...🤷‍♂️ Yes, I know this is a high school forum

No playing surface beats a well-maintained grass field. The issue is that not many high school fields in Texas are well maintained due to weather, frequent usage and budgets. In 2018 I believe Crosby was ranked #2 in the state when we went to go play in Vidor's parabolic mud pit. It was one of the best handful of teams I've ever seen at Crosby but we only had one serviceable QB in Jaiden Howard. At the end of the first quarter Howard jumped over a Vidor defender's head, landed on his feet but in the mud and tore his ACL. Crosby lost 4 of our last 5 games and missed the playoffs for the only time in the last 17 years. Vidor's grass field literally took out our starting QB and ruined our season that year. 

In 2015 I felt like Crosby had a state final caliber team. A big reason for that was because of our starting RB at the time which was Carlos Grace. Grace was instrumental the year before as a sophomore in our playoff run and was looking borderline unstoppable behind the o-line we had at the time. The second game of the season he had 5 carries for 99 yards in the first quarter against Angleton. On his first carry of the 2nd quarter his foot got stuck in the turf on a basic cut and he tore his ACL. 

Two different scenarios that ended up with the same result. I do feel like the new turf surfaces are the best for all parties involved though. It sucks to say but I think you go ahead and risk the injuries in hopes of having a more consistent playing surface throughout the year. 

12 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

No playing surface beats a well-maintained grass field. The issue is that not many high school fields in Texas are well maintained due to weather, frequent usage and budgets. In 2018 I believe Crosby was ranked #2 in the state when we went to go play in Vidor's parabolic mud pit. It was one of the best handful of teams I've ever seen at Crosby but we only had one serviceable QB in Jaiden Howard. At the end of the first quarter Howard jumped over a Vidor defender's head, landed on his feet but in the mud and tore his ACL. Crosby lost 4 of our last 5 games and missed the playoffs for the only time in the last 17 years. Vidor's grass field literally took out our starting QB and ruined our season that year. 

In 2015 I felt like Crosby had a state final caliber team. A big reason for that was because of our starting RB at the time which was Carlos Grace. Grace was instrumental the year before as a sophomore in our playoff run and was looking borderline unstoppable behind the o-line we had at the time. The second game of the season he had 5 carries for 99 yards in the first quarter against Angleton. On his first carry of the 2nd quarter his foot got stuck in the turf on a basic cut and he tore his ACL. 

Two different scenarios that ended up with the same result. I do feel like the new turf surfaces are the best for all parties involved though. It sucks to say but I think you go ahead and risk the injuries in hopes of having a more consistent playing surface throughout the year. 

You know without a shadow of a doubt, 110% positive that jumping in mud caused his injury?  Could have jumping on a dry field, turf caused the injury to??? 

Adapt and overcome obstacles... poor playing conditions.  Football is a battle, war for 48 minutes.  

2 hours ago, aTmfan06 said:

I’d imagine the grass at those stadiums is maintained a lot better than high school stadiums to be fair 

Gonna be alot of brown fields and dust-bowls being played on this upcoming season in this state with this drought and insane heat. 

Of course, natural grass is best for players to play with less injuries. 

My opinion is that all about is MONEY and doctor such as sports medicine make more money. Talk money and they don't care about injuries and want money. That is fact. Again, it is my opinion. 

Sadly, we will see more turf and more years later that natural grass will be gone!

3 minutes ago, sooner said:

For the record, I hate that conditions (inclement weather / grass / mud / wet ) contribute to a teams ability to be more successful than their opponent.   I know for the common man, southeast Texan, because grandpa played on grass in the 20's, we should all play on grass. Bull Bologna !!!  There's a reason why the state game is played in Arlington on TURF.  The kids earned that right because thats the best we can offer them.  Grass is dirty and slows the game down....the end

I can't laugh at this enough...LOLOLOLOLOL! Guess I was lucky cause I played on grass and turf in the middle to late 90's.  Grass is dirty...seriously?!?  Sounds like you're the type of guy who wears gloves to eat crawfish and can't change a flat tire!!

Turf is the only reason they play in Arlington....Attendance has nothing to do with it and Jerry Jones being the Billionaire that he is wants all football in Arlington...smh 

4 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Vidor’s field took out y’all’s QB? That’s ridiculous.  A lot bad things can happen when you try to make the highlight reel an leave your feet as a offensive player. I doubt very seriously it was the field. Maybe just maybe he shouldn’t have made a better decision in that situation. Good grief. 

4 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I was at that Angleton game, stadium was damn near quiet the rest of the night. 

13 hours ago, PirateNole984 said:

I spoke with Dr. David Lintner and got his thoughts on turf vs grass.  If not familiar with Dr. Lintner...Google.  He said in his practice he sees more serious injuries from artificial playing surfaces than from grass.  Grass gives and eventually breaks away with enough force/pressure.  Turf gives but not to a breaking point.

Again, this is coming from a Dr. with a few years under his belt.  

If that are the case, EVERY NFL team would have natural grass. They would spend the money on the grass to protect their million dollar investments in players.  Money talks…

7 hours ago, drewlsu said:

If that are the case, EVERY NFL team would have natural grass. They would spend the money on the grass to protect their million dollar investments in players.  Money talks…

NRG, Minute Maid…grass 😉 

Dr. Lintner is affiliated with Houston sports teams, and both professional teams Minute Maid and NRG are grass surfaces.

As far as high school sports go where the turf fields, generally speaking, are not the same quality and cost of an NFL field, there are more injuries on turf than on grass. I can quote numerous studies if necessary. It’s not just the field, but the correct type of turf shoes vs regular cleats that most high schools use. The caliber of helmets and knee braces and other PPE make a difference too. That’s not necessarily why I prefer grass, but it is a fact. 

14 minutes ago, sooner said:

You're so southeast Texas.  Let me guess, you drink natty light, divorced twice and still push mow your yard?  Don't take it personal, Pirate.  Turf is just my preference just like grass is yours.

Damn right I'm SETX! 

Almost got me figured out except for.... Never been much of a drinker except for the occasional margarita at a restaurant or a bourbon at the ranch, married with 1 daughter, and from time to time I will push mow my yard for a little extra exercise (I'm not afraid of the grass). 

Hope you don't make your living profiling people. 

A well maintained grass field is preferred but thats often not realistic at the HS level....so unless you can be like Alice and have professionally maintained grass, turf is more practical especially when you factor in the wear and tear of junior high and sub-varsity games added in....I've seen some awful grass fields across our state because schools cant afford properly maintain them 

I’ve a question perhaps some of you know the answer too.  When the artificial turf needs replacing, is it just the carpet, or does the base underneath have to be disturbed/replaced?   The cost of replacement should be considerably cheaper if just the carpet - Could be more expensive if the base is changed out, and I haven’t a clue.

There’s pluses & minuses on both surfaces.  The cost of maintaining/replacing has to be a big consideration, thus my question about the cost of replacing the art turf.