DCTF 6A Pre-season Top 10

I think Westlake deserves the #1 ranking coming into the season but I don't think they're better than North Shore. I didn't think they were better when they beat them in the semis a couple of years ago either. North Shore just had some uncharacteristic turnovers which changed the tide of the game, especially that fumble late on what would've been the game-winning drive. I think at the end of the season people will be saying, "Man, North Shore was 3 points away from a 5-peat in 6A-D1.", which IMO would've been significantly more impressive than what Lake Travis did in 4A/5A. 

No way I'm putting SLC in front of Duncanville though. I know they beat them a couple of years ago but the other three matchups the last four years were 51-7, 49-35 and 35-9. The year they won they also had the #1 recruit in the country at QB. SLC physically just can't line up with Duncanville most years and I don't think this year will be any exception if the Panthers stay healthy. 

I think Katy is going to be a monster this year. Unless Westlake goes D2 I think this is Katy's most for sure state finals team since 2015 which was one of the best team in THSF history IMO. 

5 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I think Westlake deserves the #1 ranking coming into the season but I don't think they're better than North Shore. I didn't think they were better when they beat them in the semis a couple of years ago either. North Shore just had some uncharacteristic turnovers which changed the tide of the game, especially that fumble late on what would've been the game-winning drive. I think at the end of the season people will be saying, "Man, North Shore was 3 points away from a 5-peat in 6A-D1.", which IMO would've been significantly more impressive than what Lake Travis did in 4A/5A. 

No way I'm putting SLC in front of Duncanville though. I know they beat them a couple of years ago but the other three matchups the last four years were 51-7, 49-35 and 35-9. The year they won they also had the #1 recruit in the country at QB. SLC physically just can't line up with Duncanville most years and I don't think this year will be any exception if the Panthers stay healthy. 

I think Katy is going to be a monster this year. Unless Westlake goes D2 I think this is Katy's most for sure state finals team since 2015 which was one of the best team in THSF history IMO. 

Agree about SLC. They dont match up with Duncanville. If Duncanville can win the next 7 State Championships in a row they will catch Southlake in Championships. 

I also dont feel great about SLC over Duncanville, but that'll play itself out....Westlake/North Shore I think its gonna be universal Westlake #1 simply because of how dominant they were last year..but I was at the 2020 game vs North Shore and I thought North Shore was the better team

I dont know what to think of Katy right now....but going D2 most likely certianly puts them in a nice position

On 7/7/2022 at 5:39 PM, 89Falcon said:

Agree about SLC. They dont match up with Duncanville. If Duncanville can win the next 7 State Championships in a row they will catch Southlake in Championships. 

Past state titles have nothing to do with how you physically match up with certain teams currently. Katy has double the state titles of North Shore, even beat them recently, and doesn't match up with them physically either currently. Gary Joseph even said it in an interview after they lost to North Shore in a third round game not too long ago. Who knows though, North Shore had one state title in their history too before Kay took over in 2014 and might catch SLC by 2024. 

34 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Past state titles have nothing to do with how you physically match up with certain teams currently. Katy has double the state titles of North Shore, even beat them recently, and doesn't match up with them physically either currently. Gary Joseph even said it in an interview after they lost to North Shore in a third round game not too long ago. Who knows though, North Shore had one state title in their history too before Kay took over in 2014 and might catch SLC by 2024. 

Every school in the state "might" catch everyone. SLC has been in a 6A State Final as recently as 2020. They match up with anyone. 

29 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Every school in the state "might" catch everyone. SLC has been in a 6A State Final as recently as 2020. They match up with anyone. 

You don't lose by 44 points in a semi-final game if you match up with your opponent. Katy lost to North Shore three years in a row in playoffs from '17-'19, the next year in '20 when they didn't have to face them they went to the title game and beat Cedar Hill by 37 points. Oh yeah, they also have more titles than SLC. Katy doesn't match up with NS physically which is why NS dwarfs them in the number of D1 recruits they produce. So yeah, with 9 state titles to their name it's safe to say Katy matches up with anybody in the state too.  

SLC doesn't match up with Duncanville physically either. Not only does Duncanville have about 2k more kids than SLC they also dwarf them in D1 prospects just like North Shore does Katy. It took the #1 prospect in the country for SLC to mitigate that advantage in '20. Recruiters don't even view the athletes at the schools in the same light. For instance, Owen Allen ran for 1,266 yards as a sophomore and 2,063 yards as a junior last year for SLC and only has two FBS offers which are both from academy schools. Caden Durham is a '24 running back at Duncanville. He's the same size as Allen, has played one year on varsity and only rushed for 649 yards yet he's already up to 9 FBS offers including 4 from P5 schools. 

You don't have to agree that SLC physically doesn't match up with Duncanville, the guys that makes $100's of k's on top tier staffs around the country do though. 

On 7/9/2022 at 1:04 PM, Austin1985 said:

I'm always interested in my other black and red team, those Trinity Trojans.  I think they may make some noise in Reg1 with a new coach, the son of Lineweaver from SLC......

Luckily there was a buffer between him and his dad. Either way though, it's going to be seen as him having to fill some huge shoes. I think Gary Joseph is currently the best coach in the state but I probably would've given that title to Steve Lineweaver prior to his retirement in 2014. I give him so much credit for the same reason I think Reginald Samples is currently the second best coach in the state, look at their respective schools' records before they got there and after they left. I think they potentially hit a home run hiring little Lineweaver. You know he has to have a little gravitas after being an assistant at SLC for the past 20 years. Will be interesting to see if he runs Dad's offense or SLC's? 

7 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Luckily there was a buffer between him and his dad. Either way though, it's going to be seen as him having to fill some huge shoes. I think Gary Joseph is currently the best coach in the state but I probably would've given that title to Steve Lineweaver prior to his retirement in 2014. I give him so much credit for the same reason I think Reginald Samples is currently the second best coach in the state, look at their respective schools' records before they got there and after they left. I think they potentially hit a home run hiring little Lineweaver. You know he has to have a little gravitas after being an assistant at SLC for the past 20 years. Will be interesting to see if he runs Dad's offense or SLC's? 

They have been SLOWLY implementing that virus I call the Spread.  But with all that history of running down hill from the I-formation, et al, I can't see them making a 180 degree turn to be like everybody else.  The pride of the program are the Hawgs(Offensive line) so we shall see.......

31 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

You don't lose by 44 points in a semi-final game if you match up with your opponent. Katy lost to North Shore three years in a row in playoffs from '17-'19, the next year in '20 when they didn't have to face them they went to the title game and beat Cedar Hill by 37 points. Oh yeah, they also have more titles than SLC. Katy doesn't match up with NS physically which is why NS dwarfs them in the number of D1 recruits they produce. So yeah, with 9 state titles to their name it's safe to say Katy matches up with anybody in the state too.  

SLC doesn't match up with Duncanville physically either. Not only does Duncanville have about 2k more kids than SLC they also dwarf them in D1 prospects just like North Shore does Katy. It took the #1 prospect in the country for SLC to mitigate that advantage in '20. Recruiters don't even view the athletes at the schools in the same light. For instance, Owen Allen ran for 1,266 yards as a sophomore and 2,063 yards as a junior last year for SLC and only has two FBS offers which are both from academy schools. Caden Durham is a '24 running back at Duncanville. He's the same size as Allen, has played one year on varsity and only rushed for 649 yards yet he's already up to 9 FBS offers including 4 from P5 schools. 

You don't have to agree that SLC physically doesn't match up with Duncanville, the guys that makes $100's of k's on top tier staffs around the country do though. 

Understood. Apparently, "the guys/staffs that rank the 6A football teams" agree with me. How about Westlake? Does Westlake "match up" with Duncanville/Northshore? 

11 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I was at that D'ville game which SLC beat them.  It wasn't just the qb, the RB had a field day and they couldn't stop #13.  Now what I didn't know was, that game was an outlier.  Normally, Duncanville handles SLC on the regular

45 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Understood. Apparently, "the guys/staffs that rank the 6A football teams" agree with me. How about Westlake? Does Westlake "match up" with Duncanville/Northshore? 

Have you actually seen Westlake's football team at field level? SLC doesn't look like that. Westlake absolutely matches up with NS, Duncanville, Allen, Desoto, etc. physically. Outside of their RB's they're pretty huge 1-22. I do think Todd Dodge helped that but look at who's been recruited from Westlake recently vs who's been recruited from SLC recently? Westlake had four 4-star trench guys on last year's team alone. Their top receiver is a highly rated 4-star that goes 6'2" and about 220lbs. They have a couple of young guys who might get there but I can't even remember the last 4-star SLC had in the trenches? 

However, I do think that once you get through Westlake's first 22 that those other teams I just named are deeper and more talented, which again is why they all produce more D1 prospects than Westlake. 

12 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Have you actually seen Westlake's football team at field level? SLC doesn't look like that. Westlake absolutely matches up with NS, Duncanville, Allen, Desoto, etc. physically. Outside of their RB's they're pretty huge 1-22. I do think Todd Dodge helped that but look at who's been recruited from Westlake recently vs who's been recruited from SLC recently? Westlake had four 4-star trench guys on last year's team alone. Their top receiver is a highly rated 4-star that goes 6'2" and about 220lbs. They have a couple of young guys who might get there but I can't even remember the last 4-star SLC had in the trenches? 

However, I do think that once you get through Westlake's first 22 that those other teams I just named are deeper and more talented, which again is why they all produce more D1 prospects than Westlake. 

Agree Westlake especially up front is IMO better than anyone in Texas (at least they were in 2021) add in a few D1 kids sprinkled in at the skill spots and boom you have a juggernaut

39 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Yep, SLC is ranked #3 and DV is ranked #4. Both have recently made it to State Championships. SLC can definitely "match up". 

18 hours ago, Matthew328 said:

Agree Westlake especially up front is IMO better than anyone in Texas (at least they were in 2021) add in a few D1 kids sprinkled in at the skill spots and boom you have a juggernaut

Yeah, this is what Westlake had in the trenches last year:

Colton Vasek(edge) - 6'6" 230lbs - 4 star

Ethan Burke(edge) - 6'7" 225lbs - 4 star - signed with Texas

TJ Shanahan(guard) - 6'4" 310lbs - 4 star 

Connor Robertson(guard) - 6'4" - 3 star - signed with Texas 

Bray Lynch(OT) - 6'5" 280lbs - 3 star signed with Indiana 

Tyler Knape(OT) - 6'4" 275lbs - c/o '24 but will also be at least a 3 star

6 of the 9 kids in the trenches for them last year were P5 level. 

To your point about the skill positions on the outside they had Greathouse who's 6'2" 220lbs and a 4 star, on the other side they have Keaton Kubecka who's 6'2" 195lbs and committed to Kansas. 

*They only had three 4 star trench guys last year instead of four. I was thinking Connor Robertson was a 4 star. 

18 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

Yep, SLC is ranked #3 and DV is ranked #4. Both have recently made it to State Championships. SLC can definitely "match up". 

Yep, so can Katy who made it to state that same year SLC did and won their 9th title by 37 points. Still doesn't mean they match up with North Shore, who handles them on a regular basis, physically though. 

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Yep, so can Katy who made it to state that same year SLC did and won their 9th title by 37 points. Still doesn't mean they match up with North Shore, who handles them on a regular basis, physically though. 

Agreed. Katy doesnt match up either. Instead of "matching up" they just "pile up state championships" in the same division with Duncanville and NS. Duncanville in particular, has a case full of "match up trophies". 

6 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Agreed. Katy doesnt match up either. Instead of "matching up" they just "pile up state championships" in the same division with Duncanville and NS. Duncanville in particular, has a case full of "match up trophies". 

Just for the record the vast majority of Katy's titles and appearances have come in Division II, not Division I which is where Duncanville and North Shore always live.

Only in 1994 when they lost to Plano 28-7 and in 1997 when they beat Longview 24-3 was Katy in Division I.

The next twelve title game appearances (and seven titles) have all come in D2

1 hour ago, Matthew328 said:

Just for the record the vast majority of Katy's titles and appearances have come in Division II, not Division I which is where Duncanville and North Shore always live.

Only in 1994 when they lost to Plano 28-7 and in 1997 when they beat Longview 24-3 was Katy in Division I.

LOL.  School  started early for some.

47 minutes ago, Matthew328 said:

Katy has won multiple ""6A/5A" titles. North Shore/Duncanville/Katy/SLC have competed in "6A/5A". Katy actually has a "head to head record" vs North Shore that indicates that Katy "can" match up. Duncanville does not even deserve to be in this conversation. Duncanville having "playoff appearances" does not place them in the conversation with Katy/SLC/NS who have won multiple State Championships at the highest level in Texas.      

22 minutes ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

A fanatic is one who can't change their mind & won't change the subject.

Especially when someone is making a case against Katy and Southlake Carroll football accomplishments. Particularly against a school (DV), that has won a "single" championship in the same competition for 20+ years. I missed the rule about "changing the subject" or "conceding the last word to Dirty_but_Dazzling". 

1 hour ago, 89Falcon said:

Katy has won multiple ""6A/5A" titles. North Shore/Duncanville/Katy/SLC have competed in "6A/5A". Katy actually has a "head to head record" vs North Shore that indicates that Katy "can" match up. Duncanville does not even deserve to be in this conversation. Duncanville having "playoff appearances" does not place them in the conversation with Katy/SLC/NS who have won multiple State Championships at the highest level in Texas.      

I dont think I've ever stated who matches up with who etc....I think in some years Katy matches up with anyone obviously (2015)....but I dont think it can be ignored that the vast majority of Katy's success comes when they are D2 either....its all factual context to paint the picture...I think its pretty clear the past few years where the power in 6A has been and Katy has probably been on the fringe of that power nexus

Now I personally believe Duncanville has been better than Katy in 2018, 2019 and 2021....2020 I think you could make a good case for Katy, especially late in the year when they were peaking......but every year is its own story and what happened in 2015 or 1998 or 2010 doesnt mean anything going into this year