Coaches on the Move

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

Lumberton wasn't a decent 4A team last year, right?  They didn't even get in for various reasons.  Meanwhile, Big Sandy went undefeated in district and multiple rounds deep, beat other 4A schools, and yes.. habitually beats bigger schools. And Kountze got a share of their district title in just one classification lower.  Also.. Kountze also beat bigger schools and often does as well.  Even though they're both normally on a different level (over the last decade or so) they still were able to beat much bigger schools last year.  Yet Mitchell (terrible, right?) found a way to get those two wins over area coaches who frequent deep playoff runs.. with a Lumberton team minus their D1 stud from a year before that didn't make the playoffs.

Save the dumb reasoning.. I absolutely believe that Foster is the best coach in SeTx and I believe Joubert is in that conversation as well.  But to imply that Mitchell is a terrible coach who only rode the coattails of McClure is beyond ridiculous.  He may not be the pick for Coach of the Century but he coaches his tail off and gets what he can out of what he has.  People that base success on record alone are moronic. .. In my opinion.

According to people on here they were until they had a lot of injuries, which is the only reason they didn't get in.  So at the beginning of the year they should've been decent.  That said, if we're giving him credit for beating 2A and 3A teams, then we have to give him credit for losing by 60 to silsbee and 40 to Nederland and 30 to HF and only winning 4 district games and losing 10 games by 10+ on the year, right?  Again, I'm not saying this guy is a bad coach, but there's a whole network of connected posters on here who give him all of the credit for everything good that happens, and excuse all of the bad.  This is what I take exception to.  

18 minutes ago, HasBeen36 said:

Which elite coaches in SETX make a playoff run without studs?

It's hard to do, and I don't expect it, or require it to consider him a good coach.  As I've said multiple times, I take exception to his opinion of himself and a couple of his close friends and family that come on here and try to inflate his reputation, not to what he's done in Lumberton.  That said, two wins over mediocre teams and then a 35-point loss to the first good team you meet is not a "playoff run."  

13 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

It's hard to do, and I don't expect it, or require it to consider him a good coach.  As I've said multiple times, I take exception to his opinion of himself and a couple of his close friends and family that come on here and try to inflate his reputation, not to what he's done in Lumberton.  That said, two wins over mediocre teams and then a 35-point loss to the first good team you meet is not a "playoff run."  

I'm not here to give an opinion on his basketball knowledge. I just know from watching multiple games in various situations, this dude is a clown on the sidelines. Some of you are going to justify it as "passion",  but to me he is way over the top. Ever since I watched him give teenagers the throat slash in a playoff game, I lost respect for him and take some enjoyment in watching him lose his mind with every loss I happen to be at. Don't know him personally but he has ZERO class on the sidelines. 

49 minutes ago, HasBeen36 said:

Which elite coaches in SETX make a playoff run without studs?

Depends on what defines an "ELITE COACH"  from a good coach & "STUD PLAYERS" from good players. Seems to be different definitions on that between posters. 

52 minutes ago, PrairieMan said:

I'm not here to give an opinion on his basketball knowledge. I just know from watching multiple games in various situations, this dude is a clown on the sidelines. Some of you are going to justify it as "passion",  but to me he is way over the top. Ever since I watched him give teenagers the throat slash in a playoff game, I lost respect for him and take some enjoyment in watching him lose his mind with every loss I happen to be at. Don't know him personally but he has ZERO class on the sidelines. 

You're way off base here.  My CPA acts the same way, but the guy is a wizard and saves me money every year.  What some think is lunacy is actually brilliance!

18 minutes ago, Charles in Charge said:

You're way off base here.  My CPA acts the same way, but the guy is a wizard and saves me money every year.  What some think is lunacy is actually brilliance!

This post is dripping with sarcasm.

C'mon Chuck, just be honest with your posts for a change.

3 hours ago, Charles in Charge said:

If your CPA throws himself on the ground, kicks chairs and does throat slashes at you, you might want to look into being more organized for both of your sakes.....

50 minutes ago, PrairieMan said:

If your CPA throws himself on the ground, kicks chairs and does throat slashes at you, you might want to look into being more organized for both of your sakes.....

Lol Mitchell doesnt kick chairs and throw himself on the ground. C’mon. Dudes an adult 

1 hour ago, whsalum said:

Kevin Foster consistently makes deep playoff runs with kids that buy into a system. He had the Angele kid a few years ago who was as good a pure shooter as I’ve ever seen. Other than that not many Stud players in Dallardsville. Kevin is the most underrated coach in our area. 

I don't think he's underrated.  I believe that anyone that knows anything about basketball places him very high on their list of best coaches around here for sure.  Arguably any area. 

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

I don't think he's underrated.  I believe that anyone that knows anything about basketball places him very high on their list of best coaches around here for sure.  Arguably any area. 

I'll go along with that.  I rate him as being high on the scale.   Just as long as they are not in our district🙄

3 hours ago, whsalum said:

Kevin Foster consistently makes deep playoff runs with kids that buy into a system. He had the Angele kid a few years ago who was as good a pure shooter as I’ve ever seen. Other than that not many Stud players in Dallardsville. Kevin is the most underrated coach in our area. 

He's a wonderful coach.  That said, them not bringing a state championship home during Angel Bullock's four years there is up there with HJ girls not winning a state championship with Ashlyn Jackson.  

23 hours ago, bullets13 said:

He's a wonderful coach.  That said, them not bringing a state championship home during Angel Bullock's four years there is up there with HJ girls not winning a state championship with Ashlyn Jackson.  

The conversation has been had before, but.. the Benson Williams kid was a better player than Angel.  Not taking anything away because they were both great players.  Especially for that classification.

Point still taken.  He didn't win it all with them.. but people don't realize how many things have to go right in order to win it all.  I'd still take Foster to captain the ship over anyone in the area. 

3 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

The conversation has been had before, but.. the Benson Williams kid was a better player than Angel.  Not taking anything away because they were both great players.  Especially for that classification.

Point still taken.  He didn't win it all with them.. but people don't realize how many things have to go right in order to win it all.  I'd still take Foster to captain the ship over anyone in the area. 

Agree with all of that.  Benson was the best player he coached.  Angel going Ice cold in Austin was tough to overcome.  And he certainly was one of the better shooters around here in the past decade or so.  But top to bottom, offense and defense, Williams was clearly better to me.  His brother was no slouch either.  

And Foster is as good as it gets at the HS level.  Put him with some programs around here and let him “recruit”, good Lord it would be scary. 

25 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Agree with all of that.  Benson was the best player he coached.  Angel going Ice cold in Austin was tough to overcome.  And he certainly was one of the better shooters around here in the past decade or so.  But top to bottom, offense and defense, Williams was clearly better to me.  His brother was no slouch either.  

And Foster is as good as it gets at the HS level.  Put him with some programs around here and let him “recruit”, good Lord it would be scary. 

Correction, San Antonio.

As for Angel, yes he was a great shooter but he also had a very very underrated post game. Loved how he used his body in that motion offense.

I agree, as far as overall ability, Williams was better. But I thought Angel's basketball IQ was off the charts. Coach Foster would tell you that himself.

Kevin Foster will always be in my top 5 coaching list as far as this area is concerned. Folks need to know that Coach Foster isn't just a coach. He also is the high school principal and AD. The man has a lot on his plate.

Just now, AggiesAreWe said:

Correction, San Antonio.

As for Angel, yes he was a great shooter but he also had a very very underrated post game. Loved how he used his body in that motion offense.

I agree, as far as overall ability, Williams was better. But I thought Angel's basketball IQ was off the charts. Coach Foster would tell you that himself.

Kevin Foster will always be in my top 5 coaching list as far as this area is concerned. Folks need to know that Coach Foster isn't just a coach. He also is the high school principal and AD. The man has a lot on his plate.

My bad.  I was thinking it was just before the move to SA but wasn’t sure. And yes, Angel was crafty around the basket too.  Benson just was a more complete player.  Including being a far better defender.  But I will say that Angel was a better defender than his God given gifts would probably justify, largely due to the basketball iq you speak of. That team definitely could have gotten a ring.  But when you rely largely on jump shots, it’s tough to win do or die games at State when you have one where you can’t hit the broad side of the barn.  

18 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Had to put an account together for these recent posts concerning BS state runs, old age is getting the best of a few of us old heads. In 14-15, the first year they made it Angel had 36 in the semi and 30 in the final (a loss to Canadian). The following year led the team with 13 in the loss to Muenster in the semis. 

Angel, alongside Marcus Thompson back in '02-'05, were Foster's best players he's ever coached. No knock on Benson however, because he's probably no. 3 on that list. Just needed to get some fact checks together, as I remembered those experiences far different than some.