Coaches on the Move

12 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

I've been told different, but I'll assume it's somewhere in the middle. 

I would agree with who the new coach will probably be.... As for as how it got to that point was a discussion of where the basketball program is at was made before this coach was even hired BUT again if you aren't going to pay the money that was asked before this hire was made you find yourself where you are at now. It is very unfortunate this coach ended like this, but it was brought up during the hiring time last year. Not defending either one, just simply saying the ones that lose because of these type situations are the seniors that worked to get to their senior year. Unfortunately, you either have the money to get a good coach or you don't. 

• 3 weeks later...

Any more word about who's leaving or filling.  Heard today that Tarkington Boys job is now open.  My daughter who's a teacher told me that coaches/teachers are leaving the profession everyday at an alarming rate.  Is it worth coaching/teaching anymore for a 50k job and it takes you 100k to get your degree/certification.

4 hours ago, Jerry West said:

Any more word about who's leaving or filling.  Heard today that Tarkington Boys job is now open.  My daughter who's a teacher told me that coaches/teachers are leaving the profession everyday at an alarming rate.  Is it worth coaching/teaching anymore for a 50k job and it takes you 100k to get your degree/certification.

Where did the coach from Tarkington go?

7 hours ago, Charles in Charge said:

I heard his passion is tennis and he's going to focus on that at a Houston area school.

Haha!!! Couldn’t be further from the truth. Not going to say much because I don’t honestly know how much is public knowledge. But in this case he is leaving to take a new HC job for more money and closer to where he lives.

1 hour ago, PrairieMan said:

Haha!!! Couldn’t be further from the truth. Not going to say much because I don’t honestly know how much is public knowledge. But in this case he is leaving to take a new HC job for more money and closer to where he lives.

This dude was the top assistant for Scott Barrett in Huffman for a while. Barrett thinks very highly of him as a coach and a man, so I would assume he is on to bigger and better things. Sorry Tarkington, your disfunction will not allow anyone of any stature to remain on the prairie. Might want to consider this as you move forward.

6 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

This dude was the top assistant for Scott Barrett in Huffman for a while. Barrett thinks very highly of him as a coach and a man, so I would assume he is on to bigger and better things. Sorry Tarkington, your disfunction will not allow anyone of any stature to remain on the prairie. Might want to consider this as you move forward.

Thanks for your great insight into the situation. When a bigger school comes calling close to your home with a substantial pay increase, I highly doubt many 3A programs are going to hold any coach from moving on. The Tarkington basketball program has a bright future from a talent standpoint. As usual, some know it all who doesn't know anything about the situation puts in their two cents. Make sure you let your friend Falcon whatever his name is know about the situation so the two of you can team up on bashing Tarkington kids, parents, whatever makes you feel better about yourself....... 

By the way, I'm in complete agreement with Barrett on the type of man Coach Sizemore is. Great person and a good coach. However, it will be interesting to see how he does when he has to build a program from scratch so to speak. He was handed a very disciplined strong senior group from Coach Scharer due to Covid situation and they probably came up a bit shy of expectations. Then last year's team had some really good highs and some really bad lows. Wish him nothing but the best and hope he has great success at his new job. 

1 hour ago, PrairieMan said:

Thanks for your great insight into the situation. When a bigger school comes calling close to your home with a substantial pay increase, I highly doubt many 3A programs are going to hold any coach from moving on. The Tarkington basketball program has a bright future from a talent standpoint. As usual, some know it all who doesn't know anything about the situation puts in their two cents. Make sure you let your friend Falcon whatever his name is know about the situation so the two of you can team up on bashing Tarkington kids, parents, whatever makes you feel better about yourself....... 

By the way, I'm in complete agreement with Barrett on the type of man Coach Sizemore is. Great person and a good coach. However, it will be interesting to see how he does when he has to build a program from scratch so to speak. He was handed a very disciplined strong senior group from Coach Scharer due to Covid situation and they probably came up a bit shy of expectations. Then last year's team had some really good highs and some really bad lows. Wish him nothing but the best and hope he has great success at his new job. 

If Sizemore had talent coming up, support from admin and parents, and a winning culture in Tarkington, he would have definitely thought about staying rather than taking on the task of building a program from scratch. Me and you both know that, but alas, he is gone. In coaching, money is elusive. You may have it for a couple of years, then you will be fired based on the performance of 15-17 year olds. Stability and the chance to win are more valuable and ensure you can feed your family for the long haul. If coach was 3 years from retirement, I would understand your thinking, but he's actually on the other end of that equation. He's setting himself up to torpedo his overall HC record by taking over a new program, which affects his ability to get another job when the time comes. 

10 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

If Sizemore had talent coming up, support from admin and parents, and a winning culture in Tarkington, he would have definitely thought about staying rather than taking on the task of building a program from scratch. Me and you both know that, but alas, he is gone. In coaching, money is elusive. You may have it for a couple of years, then you will be fired based on the performance of 15-17 year olds. Stability and the chance to win are more valuable and ensure you can feed your family for the long haul. If coach was 3 years from retirement, I would understand your thinking, but he's actually on the other end of that equation. He's setting himself up to torpedo his overall HC record by taking over a new program, which affects his ability to get another job when the time comes. 

So in theory you think a coach isn't willing to bet on himself to go for new facilities, bigger school, closer to home and more money? All the coaches I know are taking that opportunity 99/100 times. You don't think everyone of them wants to prove they can go out there and establish their own program? The only way you get somebody to pass up on that opportunity is if they were already involved in the building process or maybe they are from there. Do you know for a fact that he didn't think long and hard about it. Do you think this process happened overnight? I would think if you asked him, he would tell you this was a hard decision because I think he had tremendous support here. I only know of one situation that was not positive and it was because a kid wasn't getting PT and at the end of the day, every program has that situation come up. 

Come on man, I know how bad you want to "pin" this one on Tarkington because in theory everyone leaves there because they hate it.

I understand that this doesn't fit your Tarkington is horrible place with horrible people agenda but you're going to have to dig into another situation for your proof on this one. 

Guest mrtomcat
On 3/31/2022 at 6:26 PM, HarryDoyle said:

Is that gonna be good enough if a district championship wasn’t this year?

On 3/31/2022 at 2:14 PM, 2wedge said:

If this chaos ends with Jason Wilkins back on the sideline, Evadale wins. 

this the same jason wilkins who was all world at evadale around 2000 ?  that guy probably has a ton of records at evadale that will never be beat

23 minutes ago, mrtomcat said:

this the same jason wilkins who was all world at evadale around 2000 ?  that guy probably has a ton of records at evadale that will never be beat

Yeah I remember that guy, singlehandedly beat us in 2000 at Evadale unfortunately. (SFA)