Tarkington Open

cat001

20 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

How sad. I would rather walk away with my integrity intact. You can win games down the road but integrity lost is irreplaceable. 

(Yeah I know no one gives a flip about it in the culture of today).  

According to some posters on here, you aren't qualified to be hired somewhere else if you don't have a history of winning.  Suppose a rookie coach takes the first job they can to build experience and it's a talentless team.. what are the chances of them landing a good job down the road if they win 3 games or less at a bad school for a couple years?  Even if they have successful  assistant experience elsewhere.. 

21 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

How sad. I would rather walk away with my integrity intact. You can win games down the road but integrity lost is irreplaceable. 

(Yeah I know no one gives a flip about it in the culture of today).  

Cheating has been rampant forever.  It's no better or worse than it was 40 years ago.  

59 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

According to some posters on here, you aren't qualified to be hired somewhere else if you don't have a history of winning.  Suppose a rookie coach takes the first job they can to build experience and it's a talentless team.. what are the chances of them landing a good job down the road if they win 3 games or less at a bad school for a couple years?  Even if they have successful  assistant experience elsewhere.. 

Good friend of mine got messed around with for a local coaching position for next year.  Personally I'm glad for him it happened.  He's been trying to break through as a head coach for over a decade, but doing it and then going 1-9 or 2-8, and most likely not winning a single district game, isn't really going to do anything for his career.  

42 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Good friend of mine got messed around with for a local coaching position for next year.  Personally I'm glad for him it happened.  He's been trying to break through as a head coach for over a decade, but doing it and then going 1-9 or 2-8, and most likely not winning a single district game, isn't really going to do anything for his career.  

Once upon a time... a coach got a historically talented and winning team without experience? As long as @Reagan is not his boss, your friend will be in the right place when he gets there. Trust the process.

Just now, WOSdrummer99 said:

Once upon a time... a coach got a historically talented and winning team without experience? As long as @Reagan is not his boss, your friend will be in the right place when he gets there. Trust the process.

how many years experience as a head coach does the new WOS coach have?  That said, while I don't expect a new head coach to normally start their head coaching career at a historically great program, there's a big difference between starting at a program that's mediocre (or even bad) with room to grow versus starting at one that's mediocre (or even bad) who's about to be in a whole lot tougher district/division, which was the case in my buddy's situation.   

4 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Then I would not look to being a coach, if "cheating" is a prerequisite to being hired. 

I do not believe every single coach is a cheater. Some do for sure, no doubt about that. But honest and integrity still matters. 

3 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Cheating has been rampant forever.  It's no better or worse than it was 40 years ago.  

"Rampant" does not make it right. 

I would not look to being a coach, if "cheating" is a prerequisite to being hired. 

Some do indeed cheat, but I do not believe every single coach is a cheater. You might but I don't. 

Guest mrtomcat
16 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

"Rampant" does not make it right. 

I would not look to being a coach, if "cheating" is a prerequisite to being hired. 

Some do indeed cheat, but I do not believe every single coach is a cheater. You might but I don't. 

does sutherland at EC cheat ?  our southeast texas community respects and admires him without a doubt, but he also has a repuation of mysteriously getting move ins from beaumont every year?  does that tarnish his reputation or is it accepted that the guy is going to go get players and win because thats what EC does, is win?  

2 minutes ago, mrtomcat said:

does sutherland at EC cheat ?  our southeast texas community respects and admires him without a doubt, but he also has a repuation of mysteriously getting move ins from beaumont every year?  does that tarnish his reputation or is it accepted that the guy is going to go get players and win because thats what EC does, is win?  

I duuno. I do not believe "everyone cheats", nor will I try to judge any individual. 

All I am saying is integrity does matter, whatever the profession, even if its not popular or "everyone else does it too". For Example, I don't cheat on my taxes. I pay every penny I owe, period, regardless what many, many others do. I can't be much clearer than that. 

16 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

Then I would not look to being a coach, if "cheating" is a prerequisite to being hired. 

I do not believe every single coach is a cheater. Some do for sure, no doubt about that. But honest and integrity still matters. 

I didn't say nor imply that it's a prerequisite to being hired.  There's no question that transfers happen all over the state every single year and some of those transfers may not be for legitimate reasons.  Who is anyone to judge? If a student/athlete finds a loophole in the flawed transfer system because of a school's facilities, team's history, or coach's personality then I guess it is what it is.  If a coach can successfully attract quality athletes for the betterment of the program through whatever means.. then I find it a quality.  The only viable answer would be for the UIL to make ALL transfers sit a calendar year regardless of the reason for transfer.  Otherwise.. like I said.. it is what it is.  As long as UIL leaves those many loopholes open, then I say you better keep your quality athletes happy or get ready to lose them.  And you better give other quality athletes a reason to come to your school because somebody else is if not. Many of the most well known, successful coaches out there had great years due to the enrolling of new players at the right time.  Or a favorable drop in classification.

You can't have a problem with kids transferring to East Chambers, Brock, Aledo, Carthage, Celina, etc. etc. etc... and be ok with Nick Saban dominating college football over the last decade or so.  You think colleges rely on home grown, local kids exclusively? 

15 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I didn't say nor imply that it's a prerequisite to being hired.  There's no question that transfers happen all over the state every single year and some of those transfers may not be for legitimate reasons.  Who is anyone to judge? If a student/athlete finds a loophole in the flawed transfer system because of a school's facilities, team's history, or coach's personality then I guess it is what it is.  If a coach can successfully attract quality athletes for the betterment of the program through whatever means.. then I find it a quality.  The only viable answer would be for the UIL to make ALL transfers sit a calendar year regardless of the reason for transfer.  Otherwise.. like I said.. it is what it is.  As long as UIL leaves those many loopholes open, then I say you better keep your quality athletes happy or get ready to lose them.  And you better give other quality athletes a reason to come to your school because somebody else is if not. Many of the most well known, successful coaches out there had great years due to the enrolling of new players at the right time.  Or a favorable drop in classification.

You can't have a problem with kids transferring to East Chambers, Brock, Aledo, Carthage, Celina, etc. etc. etc... and be ok with Nick Saban dominating college football over the last decade or so.  You think colleges rely on home grown, local kids exclusively? 

+10,000

1 minute ago, TheOutsider said:

I don't see why the transfer deal is such a big deal in HS.  If a kid wants to go to a different school and the parents move or pay the out of district fee if it's open enrollment, just let the kid go.  

To avoid openly recruiting.  I guess they prefer it done secretly. 

3 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

you better keep your quality athletes happy or get ready to lose them. 

Selfish... we see it starting early for those student athletes with above average talent. Then the transfer portal, then demanding a trade. I'd bet it's the $$$ the family sees in their Lil Johnny Powerball. Not the coach who can mold a man from a lump of teenager. Whatever happened to honoring a commitment to a school, coach, or team? Nope, everyone for themselves now days. I wonder how many UIL transfers for solo sports like golf or tennis? 

1 hour ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Selfish... we see it starting early for those student athletes with above average talent. Then the transfer portal, then demanding a trade. I'd bet it's the $$$ the family sees in their Lil Johnny Powerball. Not the coach who can mold a man from a lump of teenager. Whatever happened to honoring a commitment to a school, coach, or team? Nope, everyone for themselves now days. I wonder how many UIL transfers for solo sports like golf or tennis? 

None for golf and tennis, because you see talent in those sports at a very early age and the parents just move to Highland Park or wherever before those kids get to high school.

Football, basketball and baseball talent does not show up for certain until 8th grade and by then it is too late for some to move and play Varsity as a freshman.

Is Crueder the guy?

18 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

HaHa, EC is MILES from even being mentioned in the same breath as Brock, Aledo, Carthage, Celina, LOL that's absolutely hysterical, LOL.

And OK with Saban and colleges? What are you talking about? Why are you laser focusing on transfers? I never made the comment "they all cheat" but even if I had, there are tons of ways to cheat outside of just actively collecting transfers. Fixing grades, whitewashing disciplinary issues, etc. quickly come to mind. If you look back, I am saying they DON'T all cheat. I think there are still some good men out there. You misunderstood. Please re-read. Thanks.   

4 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

HaHa, EC is MILES from even being mentioned in the same breath as Brock, Aledo, Carthage, Celina, LOL that's absolutely hysterical, LOL.

And OK with Saban and colleges? What are you talking about? Why are you laser focusing on transfers? I never made the comment "they all cheat" but even if I had, there are tons of ways to cheat outside of just actively collecting transfers. Fixing grades, whitewashing disciplinary issues, etc. quickly come to mind. If you look back, I am saying they DON'T all cheat. I think there are still some good men out there. You misunderstood. Please re-read. Thanks.   

It's because EC was mentioned earlier about being the benefactor of transfers from Beaumont ISD and others.  For the schools in this coverage area, what school would you want your kid to attend if you could choose?  I think of Barbers Hill, East Chambers... Even though Anahuac is slowly replacing EC as the place to be because of facilities and the rumor I heard about Baytown/Mont Belvieu kids creeping that direction.  Which makes sense.

Why am I laser focusing on transfers?  Did you not read the comments leading up to this?  I don't have time to give you a reading lesson but scan over the previous page or 2. The only "cheating" I'm talking about (or that has even been eluded to) is when kids transfer schools.  By the way.. the Nick Saban mention referred to having the ability to attract talent.  

I thought I made it clear, I was never referring to an individual (or school). See above. When someone says "its rampant, they all cheat", the context is clearly "in general". I still disagree with that contention. Sure there are some shady ones around, but I still believe there are honest men of integrity in the profession. I hope I am not wrong. Over & out.