SIX-MAN LEAGUE
1960                       0-9-0          14-337         Douglas Miller
1961                       1-8-0          42-281         Douglas Miller
1962                       2-7-1          82-265         Douglas Miller
1963                      0-10-0         26-378         Bill Gilley
1964                       3-6-0          98-268         Bill Gilley
1965                       1-9-0          45-339         Jimmie Campbell
1966                       1-9-0          56-368         Arlen Leeder
1967                       2-7-1        102-184         Charles C. Larrison, Jr.
1968                       6-3-0        155-102         Charles C. Larrison, Jr.
                          DISCONTINUED
1976                       3-7-0          61-339         Daryl Moffitt
1977                       3-7-0          97-288         Daryl Moffitt
1978                       5-5-0        165-173         Charlie Braun
1979                       4-6-0        133-151         Charlie Braun
1980                       5-4-1        200-139         Charlie Braun
1981                       5-5-0        158-106         Charlie Braun
1982                       4-6-0        130-177         Charlie Braun
1983                       6-3-1        168-134         Charlie Braun
1984       R--          10-2-1        404-119         Charlie Braun
1985                       7-2-1        219-114         Charlie Braun
1986                       4-6-0        129-180         Charlie Braun
1987       C              6-4-1        188-152         Charlie Braun
1988                       6-4-0        218-152         Charlie Braun
1989       R              7-4-0        214-218         Charlie Braun
1990                       4-6-0        203-258         Wade Johnston
1991                       4-6-0        189-188         Wade Johnston
1992      CO             6-5-0        235-169         Wade Johnston
1993                       3-6-1        161-184         Mark Cox
1994                       6-4-0        219-132         Mark Cox
1995                       2-8-0        125-312         Mark Cox
1996                       4-6-0        165-201         Mark Cox
1997                       7-3-0        231-134         Mark Cox
1998                       1-9-0          72-321         Mark Cox
1999                       3-7-0        174-296         Hal Wasson
2000                       3-7-0        168-308         Hal Wasson

Then the "right" coach was hired.

2001                       5-5-0        149-226         Jerry Vance
2002       R--          10-2-0        359-195         Jerry Vance
2003       R--          11-2-0        468-219         Jerry Vance
2004      CO           12-3-0        697-309         Jerry Vance
2005       R            10-3-0        614-367         Jerry Vance
2006       C--          13-2-0        627-413         Jerry Vance
2007       C--          14-0-0        643-197         Jerry Vance

Is something like this guaranteed?  Absolutely not!  Because there aren't that many elite coaches out there.  Schools are just lucky when they can get one.  So, will it ever happen at Tarkington?  In our lifetime?  Probably not.  But does this mean they stop trying?!

Is Tarkington forecasting to be an affluent area of the North Austin Hill Country? If so, you might be right. 

8 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

I haven’t drove/been in the area in a while but was told don’t be surprised if takington blows up fast like Cleveland did. Is this true? 

It won't grow nearly as fast as Cleveland. Anything on 59 is blowing up, but Tark is 9-10 miles away in the woods. The district is a good one, and people are slowly moving there getting away from the larger schools, but it is slow. There is lots of wooded, rural acreage, but its not ready to quickly build on. Utilities are not readily available in many places. Now 10-15 years later it might be a different story but not yet. I think the UIL cutoff is 544 and Tark turned in 519.  

On 3/16/2022 at 3:14 PM, Eagles12 said:

I make Mark Newton tell me no. Then I call Mark Newton again and make him tell me no twice before I move on to the next candidate. 

assuming this is the same Mark Newton who graduated from Tarkington and that I went to college with at ETBU?

Reading threads like this make me lose my mind. There are a few comments on here that make sense but some of you have no clue what you're talking about, yet you run your mouth as if you do. If Tarkington is so awful then why waste your time and words running down their kids and their community just because you're used to doing so on this site because nobody calls you out or will say anything.

First off Carpenter didn't "get run out" of Tarkington. He left for better opportunities because he had a goal to be a 6A head coach. This just in, there is probably no football coaches that aspire to do great things that want to make a career out of coaching football in Tarkington or insert any 3A program, even if it is your hometown. 

Second, Newton even though his kids go to school here isn't leaving his gig because he loves where he's at and what he has going on. He hasn't applied so NOBODY has "turned him down". So you can stop beating that dead horse.

Third, Belt is currently at Tarkington helping with offseason and softball for whoever put that he's at Anahuac. 

Fourth, Howard got ran off because kids just kept quitting. I personally liked him but my kid wasn't in high school at the time so I can't give 100% accurate statement as to what was the final straw but talking to other parents, not many people cared for him or his coaching style. Which is similar to the current situation.

Coach A was ran off because him and nobody else could get along. That went for coaches, kids, parents, etc. Again my kid isn't in high school so I don't know what really went on, but let's just say, I've heard the list of reasons people didn't like him.

Lastly, Bass didn't leave because he got ran off. There were other factors at play, including he got a 6A OC job, one of the better talent pools recently was graduating and some that didn't have to do with football at all. 

The thing is, the reason Bass and Carpenter were some of the more successful coaches here didn't have as much to do with X's and O's as it did with the type of people they were. They were people that kids wanted to come out and play for. I think some of you don't understand the reality behind how important it is for schools like Tarkington to get the "right" kids to come out and play all the sports. Tarkington wouldn't have success at anything if they didn't have some athletes. Which isn't the case as they've been fairly successful at basketball and baseball throughout the years. But just like any other small school, talent is cyclical. So even if you get the right kids out, they may be younger as is currently the case and you're right they need consistency. They need consistent coaching that pushes to get the best out of them and keeps the fire burning to want to play sports vs other things such as work, hunt, etc. There is a reason that most of the people love it out here so much. Their kids don't grow up on the streets or somewhere that they don't have a back yard where they have to have sports to be entertained. They have land and the ability to ride four wheelers, hunt, play outside in general with their friends and many other things to do. That doesn't make them "inbred" or "rednecks" like some dumb*** said. It makes them fortunate. 

Rant over. Go back to gloating about your school's "greatness" and everyone else's downfalls. 

1 hour ago, PrairieMan said:

Reading threads like this make me lose my mind. There are a few comments on here that make sense but some of you have no clue what you're talking about, yet you run your mouth as if you do. If Tarkington is so awful then why waste your time and words running down their kids and their community just because you're used to doing so on this site because nobody calls you out or will say anything.

First off Carpenter didn't "get run out" of Tarkington. He left for better opportunities because he had a goal to be a 6A head coach. This just in, there is probably no football coaches that aspire to do great things that want to make a career out of coaching football in Tarkington or insert any 3A program, even if it is your hometown. 

Second, Newton even though his kids go to school here isn't leaving his gig because he loves where he's at and what he has going on. He hasn't applied so NOBODY has "turned him down". So you can stop beating that dead horse.

Third, Belt is currently at Tarkington helping with offseason and softball for whoever put that he's at Anahuac. 

Fourth, Howard got ran off because kids just kept quitting. I personally liked him but my kid wasn't in high school at the time so I can't give 100% accurate statement as to what was the final straw but talking to other parents, not many people cared for him or his coaching style. Which is similar to the current situation.

Coach A was ran off because him and nobody else could get along. That went for coaches, kids, parents, etc. Again my kid isn't in high school so I don't know what really went on, but let's just say, I've heard the list of reasons people didn't like him.

Lastly, Bass didn't leave because he got ran off. There were other factors at play, including he got a 6A OC job, one of the better talent pools recently was graduating and some that didn't have to do with football at all. 

The thing is, the reason Bass and Carpenter were some of the more successful coaches here didn't have as much to do with X's and O's as it did with the type of people they were. They were people that kids wanted to come out and play for. I think some of you don't understand the reality behind how important it is for schools like Tarkington to get the "right" kids to come out and play all the sports. Tarkington wouldn't have success at anything if they didn't have some athletes. Which isn't the case as they've been fairly successful at basketball and baseball throughout the years. But just like any other small school, talent is cyclical. So even if you get the right kids out, they may be younger as is currently the case and you're right they need consistency. They need consistent coaching that pushes to get the best out of them and keeps the fire burning to want to play sports vs other things such as work, hunt, etc. There is a reason that most of the people love it out here so much. Their kids don't grow up on the streets or somewhere that they don't have a back yard where they have to have sports to be entertained. They have land and the ability to ride four wheelers, hunt, play outside in general with their friends and many other things to do. That doesn't make them "inbred" or "rednecks" like some dumb*** said. It makes them fortunate. 

Rant over. Go back to gloating about your school's "greatness" and everyone else's downfalls. 

Very good  post. Most people talking trash are ones that don't have kids that are affected. This could easily be true for a lot of the smaller districts in the area. Hull, Hardin, Shepherd, Hardin Jefferson,  Kountze, Kirbyville, WH etc.. Even bigger schools like Livingston and Cleveland, all will have dry years where talent is sparse. Tarkington has some good years, but talent in regards to schools they play is not on an even playing field. Hardin Jefferson had one of the best coaches in East Texas but had trouble the last few years, because they don't have what Silsbee, Jasper, and WOS have.  I do believe Tarkington a chance to win some games with the right schedule. In regards to coaching I do believe they need someone that can recruit and keep kids out, but they must have parent/community support or they will fail. 

1 hour ago, texan007 said:

Very good  post. Most people talking trash are ones that don't have kids that are affected. This could easily be true for a lot of the smaller districts in the area. Hull, Hardin, Shepherd, Hardin Jefferson,  Kountze, Kirbyville, WH etc.. Even bigger schools like Livingston and Cleveland, all will have dry years where talent is sparse. Tarkington has some good years, but talent in regards to schools they play is not on an even playing field. Hardin Jefferson had one of the best coaches in East Texas but had trouble the last few years, because they don't have what Silsbee, Jasper, and WOS have.  I do believe Tarkington a chance to win some games with the right schedule. In regards to coaching I do believe they need someone that can recruit and keep kids out, but they must have parent/community support or they will fail. 

I don't disagree with yours or pairiemans' post at all. I think what some of these folks are trying to get at is why does Tarkington go thru so many coaches? It may be just a stepping stone like has been said. Above you mentioned some of the smaller schools that do and have had dry years no doubt (God know Shepherd has been going thru one for a couple years), but some of those schools still have the same AD/HC. So is it the parents? Is it not winning? Is it the school board? Or what is the problem? Just trying to figure that out.

You know there are folks on here given the chance could solve the entire world's problems (they and their town are just that great) but don't let them get to you. Most of the guys from the bigger cities do not get country life, so instead of trying to understand they throw insults because that is what they do. 

1 hour ago, texan007 said:

Tarkington definitely has a "chance to win some games". Make sure you play Huntington, HD, WH, or Hardin. That is what they (and Tarkington) are for: " a chance to win some games" and "homecoming opponent". 

On 3/23/2022 at 8:29 AM, bullets13 said:

assuming this is the same Mark Newton who graduated from Tarkington and that I went to college with at ETBU?

Yes that is the one. Not to be confused with his brother Matt. They have a striking resemblance to one another. 

5 hours ago, PrairieMan said:

Come on Brad.

Pastor Out.

On 3/22/2022 at 10:22 PM, 89Falcon said:

Is Tarkington forecasting to be an affluent area of the North Austin Hill Country? If so, you might be right. 

I see what you are trying to say.  Let's look at a few things;

2001, Jerry Vance shows up.  1913 to 2000, Tarkington type-ish record.  In other words no State Titles.  In 6 years, Vance has a State Title.  Has another one the next year.  OK, you talk about population growth causing this.  Through the previous 87 years before Vance got there, don't you think maybe sometime towards the latter part of those 87 years, that there was population growth going on?  I would think so.  Hummm, but no State Titles.  OK, Vance shows up with 2 State Titles.  Later on, 2017 shows a new coach.  The next 4 years -- still no State Titles.  Let me ask you this:  With everything you think that brings a State Title, what -- did all of this just stop after Vance was no longer the coach?!  And if it was population, or whatever you think it was, then WHY was no other coach, except Vance, able to take advantage of this and win a State Title?

Prairie Man and Texan007 commented on how some are making disparaging comments about kids playing sports and the community as a whole in areas such as Tarkington, WH, HD, and Hardin. I have seen comments about missing teeth, inbreeding, genetic disfunction, and communities needing a new gene pool regarding these communities before their sports programs can be successful and the moderators must have not seen these and called them out on it. I realize there are a lot of topics and comments made on SETX and can understand how they can be overlooked. I have enjoyed this Website for years and hope it continues. The posters that jump at every opportunity to downgrade these kids and communities must certainly do so from a very high perch and air of superiority over the little people from these communities. 

2 hours ago, Bronco/Cat Fan said:

Prairie Man and Texan007 commented on how some are making disparaging comments about kids playing sports and the community as a whole in areas such as Tarkington, WH, HD, and Hardin. I have seen comments about missing teeth, inbreeding, genetic disfunction, and communities needing a new gene pool regarding these communities before their sports programs can be successful and the moderators must have not seen these and called them out on it. I realize there are a lot of topics and comments made on SETX and can understand how they can be overlooked. I have enjoyed this Website for years and hope it continues. The posters that jump at every opportunity to downgrade these kids and communities must certainly do so from a very high perch and air of superiority over the little people from these communities. 

Well you know how it goes, some communities can be bashed, others cannot. Barbers Hill has had so much garbage spewed at it, its ridiculous. Haters gonna hate. 

In a similar vein, coaches are not supposed to be bashed here, per the site rules, but Art Briles is routinely beaten to a bloody pulp and no intervention happens. 

See, IT ALL DEPENDS.  

36 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

Well you know how it goes, some communities can be bashed, others cannot. Barbers Hill has had so much garbage spewed at it, its ridiculous. Haters gonna hate. 

In a similar vein, coaches are not supposed to be bashed here, per the site rules, but Art Briles is routinely beaten to a bloody pulp and no intervention happens. 

See, IT ALL DEPENDS.  

I agree, I've heard it all. I have attended many BH games through the years, some football, boys basketball and a ton of girls basketball. Started watching Pennie Hall coached teams in '96, they were so well coached. I still hear how they accuse BH of paying the referees.  

5 hours ago, Reagan said:

I see what you are trying to say.  Let's look at a few things;

2001, Jerry Vance shows up.  1913 to 2000, Tarkington type-ish record.  In other words no State Titles.  In 6 years, Vance has a State Title.  Has another one the next year.  OK, you talk about population growth causing this.  Through the previous 87 years before Vance got there, don't you think maybe sometime towards the latter part of those 87 years, that there was population growth going on?  I would think so.  Hummm, but no State Titles.  OK, Vance shows up with 2 State Titles.  Later on, 2017 shows a new coach.  The next 4 years -- still no State Titles.  Let me ask you this:  With everything you think that brings a State Title, what -- did all of this just stop after Vance was no longer the coach?!  And if it was population, or whatever you think it was, then WHY was no other coach, except Vance, able to take advantage of this and win a State Title?

????What has been their record since he left? Have they played less than 13 games in any season? Did they make it to the title game this year? Semi-Final 3 years ago? Seems like they are doing decent? Did Vance win the title every year? Did Vance's successor have the same winning %? or better?

On 3/22/2022 at 6:32 PM, Reagan said:

At one time, yes, Liberty Hill could have been compared to Tarkington:

Is something like this guaranteed?  Absolutely not!  Because there aren't that many elite coaches out there.  Schools are just lucky when they can get one.  So, will it ever happen at Tarkington?  In our lifetime?  Probably not.  But does this mean they stop trying?!

*sighs...*

When Liberty Hill started winning, do you realize how many kids had moved in that were college football players?  I think 4 of the 5 starters went on to play some form of college football when they won the 1st state championship.  Liberty Hill is an affluent area...go look at the homes there and tell me how they compare to Tarkington.  

Also, I didn't know a coach could start turning athletes that run a 5.2-5.5 downhill with the wind at their backs to kids that magically start running 4.6-4.8 on an average.  I'll give you a little hint there aren't many people on this planet that can drop 40 times that much.

I know what you're saying about "it can happen" but the reality is unless you actually work at places and understand the culture there you'll never see what teams are actually competing with.  Did you know if you looked up the demographics of Kingwood and South Lake they are nearly identical?  Why can't Kingwood win more?  Willis and Crosby have demographics that are eerily similar as well.  Shouldn't Willis be playing for state championships as well?

I always kinda root for Tarkington because they do have kids that work hard.  I have a stigma against Tarkington at times because of the air a lot of their community has and I'm still not sure why that air is there.  They get their breaks beat off by Shepherd (in football, powerlifting, track) and they think they're superior to Shepherd in those areas.

Not all people in Tarkington are delusional but there  are enough of them that feel entitled because of their last name of the fact that they make more than $40,000 as a household and it rubs people the wrong way.

21 hours ago, idk said:

I don't disagree with yours or pairiemans' post at all. I think what some of these folks are trying to get at is why does Tarkington go thru so many coaches? It may be just a stepping stone like has been said. Above you mentioned some of the smaller schools that do and have had dry years no doubt (God know Shepherd has been going thru one for a couple years), but some of those schools still have the same AD/HC. So is it the parents? Is it not winning? Is it the school board? Or what is the problem? Just trying to figure that out.

You know there are folks on here given the chance could solve the entire world's problems (they and their town are just that great) but don't let them get to you. Most of the guys from the bigger cities do not get country life, so instead of trying to understand they throw insults because that is what they do. 

idk,

I would say your question is a very fair one. I think it's situational dependent but I will give you my take it on it. 

First of all, I don't know the actual numbers but from the outside looking in Tarkington, doesn't have the money or isn't willing to pay well compared to other schools. Handcuff that with either the inability or unwillingness to invest in athletic facilities and that's a start as to why coaches who have any success would not want to stay long. I mean just the mention of spending money on just a fieldhouse to upgrade the dilapidated one that's probably been there since my father was in school there, certainly was there when i was there and that's been a while, and people lose their minds. 

I mean 30-45 miles down the road, assistants are making close to or more than the AD/HC of the entire program. Considering just the normal headaches and additional responsibilities that comes with, who would want to deal with that for long unless you have some sort of ties to the area, school, etc???

The other scenario is you finally get a guy from the area to coach. Whether he does well or not, there is situational issues that have to be dealt with. People that you know well have kids in your program and you have to look those friends in the eye and tell them their kids don't deserve to start or worse don't belong on the team. People that you know don't like the play you picked or whatever and are now hollering from the stands, calling for your head because you didn't make the "right" decisions in their mind. I mean that's happening no matter where you go or who you are but it's likely a different feel when it's people you go to church with on Sunday or were at their house a couple weeks ago sharing your favorite beverages. Now you're getting paid less money, fighting the issues of less talent as a whole and having to look these people in the face day to day. 

Finally, the last and worst situation which doesn't typically include any success is you hire a guy from somewhere else who comes in with a big stick that's going to shake things up. Comes in and wants to clean things up but starts rubbing everyone the wrong way and nobody knows who you are you. You start running kids off because their attitude isn't right or they aren't putting forth the effort. One or two of those kids have some talent but because of the small town, they've always been catered to and they aren't used to somebody holding them accountable so they leave. Then the program in general can't compete so you lose a few other good players and now everyone is calling for your head because nobody knows you and you "ruined" their kids senior or junior year.

Nobody wants to go through a rebuilding year or two or three in high school. 99% of these kids will never play a down after high school so no parents of or kids that are seniors want to be a part of decimation of a program even if it does benefit the future of the program. They can't look past the fact their high school kids career was a total waste. I mean what can we say we can't all be superstars like everyone on these forums. From all the high and mighty comments on this page, I'm sure everyone here played college or pro ball. Most were probably the best players to ever come through their program, just ask them........so I'm sure it's hard to relate to these issues.