Tarkington Open

cat001

13 hours ago, Kegger said:

Not sure who the new superintendent is but they had a meeting today to name the lone finalists. Sure the movement on the AD/HC (if they don’t split them) will start soon. Wonder what schedule he inherits. Whoever picked the non district schedule probably wasn’t super motivated to put some winnable games on there. 

Did Dr. Keith retire?

Guest mrtomcat
18 hours ago, Kegger said:

Not sure who the new superintendent is but they had a meeting today to name the lone finalists. Sure the movement on the AD/HC (if they don’t split them) will start soon. Wonder what schedule he inherits. Whoever picked the non district schedule probably wasn’t super motivated to put some winnable games on there. 

thats a good question....who has been in charge over there since the uil realignment and district meetings occured in the last few weeks ???

Yeah! Let’s split the AD and Head football positions! Make an undesirable job even more undesirable. 

All jokes aside, what sense would it make to separate the positions?

They had a young up and coming coach in Zach Bass. I think the first question to ask is what would cause him to want to leave in the first place. And what Can Tarkington do to keep a coach like that? If they can’t figure out what’s within their control the doors will continue to revolve. 

Parents is what I have been told. For a team that does not win on the Football field, the parents seem to think they have more D1 talent than 6A schools do. You know it is never that the kids just aren't good enough, its got to be the coach. Tarkington could hire any SEC Head Coach and he would be ran out of town within two years. 

Surprisingly, they have had kids that have gotten football scholarships to some pretty decent programs. D2 and up. Got a WR playing at Henderson State, OL playing at A&M Kingsville, DE playing at Blinn, QB signed with Army for Baseball. Those were from the graduating class of 2020 and 2021. So there is some talent. But the jump from those to the rest is pretty big. 

20 hours ago, PdaddyBball said:

Yeah! Let’s split the AD and Head football positions! Make an undesirable job even more undesirable. 

All jokes aside, what sense would it make to separate the positions?

They had a young up and coming coach in Zach Bass. I think the first question to ask is what would cause him to want to leave in the first place. And what Can Tarkington do to keep a coach like that? If they can’t figure out what’s within their control the doors will continue to revolve. 

Historically terrible.  Nobody can take losing for very long.

15 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Historically terrible.  Nobody can take losing for very long.

Yes. Historically terrible. As it seems, they appear to be doing the opposite of what would be best for the program by splitting position. Seems like it would deter some applicants from applying. Not many would want to take the losing for less pay. 

On 3/10/2022 at 11:31 AM, SherriffReesie said:

Surprisingly, they have had kids that have gotten football scholarships to some pretty decent programs. D2 and up. Got a WR playing at Henderson State, OL playing at A&M Kingsville, DE playing at Blinn, QB signed with Army for Baseball. Those were from the graduating class of 2020 and 2021. So there is some talent. But the jump from those to the rest is pretty big. 

That's a rarity in T Town.  I'd tap the brakes a little for anyone to assume that's a year in and year out thing there. 

5 hours ago, scat_trap said:

That's a rarity in T Town.  I'd tap the brakes a little for anyone to assume that's a year in and year out thing there. 

It is definitely very rare. But with those kids, still only averaged 2 wins a season. They had a rare run that they made the playoffs 3 years in a row and actually won the bi-district round game under Carpenter and I also want to say that those are the only 3 playoff appearances in school history as well. Well 2 playoff appearances with Carpenter and 1 under Howard. 

5 hours ago, SherriffReesie said:

It is definitely very rare. But with those kids, still only averaged 2 wins a season. They had a rare run that they made the playoffs 3 years in a row and actually won the bi-district round game under Carpenter and I also want to say that those are the only 3 playoff appearances in school history as well. Well 2 playoff appearances with Carpenter and 1 under Howard. 

Better watch yourself around here mentioning anything good Howard did...the trolls will come out and start to cry foul! 

I'd reach back out to Stan because the guy is still invested there. He'd be willing to ride the time out and do what's right by kids...but I don't know anything. 

7 minutes ago, scat_trap said:

Better watch yourself around here mentioning anything good Howard did...the trolls will come out and start to cry foul! 

I'd reach back out to Stan because the guy is still invested there. He'd be willing to ride the time out and do what's right by kids...but I don't know anything. 

All I said is that he made the playoffs his first year there lol. I don't think the school board will want him back though since they are the ones that ran him off and most of them are still on it. 

Guest mrtomcat
2 hours ago, SherriffReesie said:

They did hire a new Sup finally so I think the AD and/or Head Coach search will finally get underway. 

Where is the new SUP from?

There’s more than a few Cleveland/Splendora grads floating around the state coaching. Wonder if the possibility of a HC job might make some want to come back to the area?

Here is a list of a few that come to mind:

Brian Ricci- Cleveland Grad (former HC and current Middle School Coordinator in Humble ISD)

Chase Reneau- Splendora Grad (Tomball assistant)

Toby Belt- Cleveland Grad (former Tarkington assistant current anahuac assistant)

Cody Inkster- Splendora grad (I think is a recent Tarkington assistant or current assistant)

Coleman Butter- Cleveland grad (Chester ISD athletic director)

I know some folks from Tark. I go to Church with them, and I eat at the Ranch Hand Cafe. A few years ago they were winning, a little. I don't remember the coach or record or the exact year, but they were winning some. I see two problems. One is that the kids there just don't focus on football. Deer season is a whole different matter! Second thing is mediocre athleticism. Yeah they might have a stud or two, but not across the board.

It should not be too hard to win some in their 3A district. Honestly that district is weak. Their playoff teams go down fast. But that's part of the problem too. No iron sharpening iron in 3A.  I hope Tark can get it in gear, there are some good folks there.