5AD1 District 8 and Region 2 discussion.

Cougtalk

I see the top 6 in the 5A-D1 rankings are 

1. Longview 

2. Denton Ryan 

3. Aledo

4. College Station 

5. Frisco Lone Star 

6. Crosby 

Does anybody have the DCTF predicted finish for 5A-D1 district 6? Trying to figure out which Frisco school they're predicting as our second round opponent? 

5 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I see the top 6 in the 5A-D1 rankings are 

1. Longview 

2. Denton Ryan 

3. Aledo

4. College Station 

5. Frisco Lone Star 

6. Crosby 

Does anybody have the DCTF predicted finish for 5A-D1 district 6? Trying to figure out which Frisco school they're predicting as our second round opponent? 

DCTF's District 6-5AD1 prediction

1. Frisco Lone Star

2. Frisco Wakeland

3. Frisco Reedy

4. Frisco

5. Frisco Heritage

6. Frisco Liberty

7. Sherman

8. Frisco Centennial

9. Frisco Lebanon Trail

17 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Hmmmmm........ Starting to think potentially we'll see Lancaster, then Timberview, then Lone Star IF we can put together a lil run. Big IF

Per DC's district finish predictions the playoff paths for the four 8-5A-D1 teams would be:  

Crosby: 1st - McKinney North, 2nd - Frisco Wakeland, 3rd - Longview 

PA Memorial: 1st - John Tyler, 2nd - Mansfield Timberview/Frisco, 3rd - Frisco Lone Star  

Barbers Hill: 1st - Lancaster, 2nd - Frisco Lone Star

Kingwood Park: 1st - Longview 

*DC's has Baytown Lee 4th but I think KP will finish in that spot 

8 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Per DC's district finish predictions the playoff paths for the four 8-5A-D1 teams would be:  

Crosby: 1st - McKinney North, 2nd - Frisco Wakeland, 3rd - Longview 

PA Memorial: 1st - John Tyler, 2nd - Mansfield Timberview/Frisco, 3rd - Frisco Lone Star  

Barbers Hill: 1st - Lancaster, 2nd - Frisco Lone Star

Kingwood Park: 1st - Longview 

*DC's has Baytown Lee 4th but I think KP will finish in that spot 

I think K Park takes the 4th seed also. They have 2 returning RBs that looked pretty good last year. Anxious to see how Crosby fares in Region 2 this upcoming season. 

On 6/27/2022 at 10:36 AM, Bigdog said:

I don't know why, its not like the "pro" team there is any good.

Two reasons I would suggest. 

First NRG does not have a driving ego behind it, like Jerry Jones who has a burning desire to dominate everything.

Second, NRG was not well attended when it hosted the State games a few years ago. Ironically, this is the fault of the DFW and north TX fans who largely failed to make the trip down to Houston. This hurt NRG's profits, and NRG learned a monetary lesson through this. Conversely, the support of Houston (and CenTex) fans who do travel to AT&T yearly supports HS games up there. Funny how it worked out, the fickle, lazy DFW fans might have cost Houston area teams the opportunity to play indoors at home in NRG. 

2 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

Two reasons I would suggest. 

First NRG does not have a driving ego behind it, like Jerry Jones who has a burning desire to dominate everything.

Second, NRG was not well attended when it hosted the State games a few years ago. Ironically, this is the fault of the DFW and north TX fans who largely failed to make the trip down to Houston. This hurt NRG's profits, and NRG learned a monetary lesson through this. Conversely, the support of Houston (and CenTex) fans who do travel to AT&T yearly supports HS games up there. Funny how it worked out, the fickle, lazy DFW fans might have cost Houston area teams the opportunity to play indoors at home in NRG. 

There may be something to reason #1 but I doubt reason #2 had much of an impact. NRG hosted the title games in 2016 and has hosted a lot of playoff games since then including BH vs Manvel in 2019. North Shore and Katy have played there multiple times since then also. They would've shut all the games down right afterwards if it was the title games' attendance that steered them away from hosting high school games. It would clear a lot of things up if Cal McNair just came out and vocalized the reason/s, some of us might even agree with him. 

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

There may be something to reason #1 but I doubt reason #2 had much of an impact. NRG hosted the title games in 2016 and has hosted a lot of playoff games since then including BH vs Manvel in 2019. North Shore and Katy have played there multiple times since then also. They would've shut all the games down right afterwards if it was the title games' attendance that steered them away from hosting high school games. It would clear a lot of things up if Cal McNair just came out and vocalized the reason/s, some of us might even agree with him. 

Yes I was at almost every game you mentioned, and more. I am well aware more games were played there after 16. I think the decision came gradually. The State games were not the sole deciding factor. You are correct, it was not decided to shut them down right afterwards. Some games at NRG were decently attended, some were not. The history was iffy.

Janice McNair, Bobs widow, owns the Texans, and Cal McNair, the son, runs the franchise. The actual owner of NRG is Harris Country Sports and Convention Corp., though. HCSCC would have the final say on any HS games being held at NRG, or not. Cal's opinion on HS games (if he even has one) would be important I am sure, but he would not ultimately make the final decision. Cal is way more low profile than Jerry, of course. No huge ego to feed.     

1 hour ago, Separation Scientist said:

Yes I was at almost every game you mentioned, and more. I am well aware more games were played there after 16. I think the decision came gradually. The State games were not the sole deciding factor. You are correct, it was not decided to shut them down right afterwards. Some games at NRG were decently attended, some were not. The history was iffy.

Janice McNair, Bobs widow, owns the Texans, and Cal McNair, the son, runs the franchise. The actual owner of NRG is Harris Country Sports and Convention Corp., though. HCSCC would have the final say on any HS games being held at NRG, or not. Cal's opinion on HS games (if he even has one) would be important I am sure, but he would not ultimately make the final decision. Cal is way more low profile than Jerry, of course. No huge ego to feed.     

Thx, I didn't know that. It makes sense now. 

Part of the reason NRG doesnt host as mentioned is the stadium is owned by Harris County..so make that what you want

AT&T is owned by the Cowboys and by Jerry Jones, who loves HS Football and has always been very welcoming of hosting games at old Texas Stadium and AT&T Stadium and the rent, especially when playing 3 games is pretty cheap...he's gonna make his money on parking and concessions....

However AT&T only hosted the state games last year, they didnt host any other playoff games if memory serves...they use the Ford Center for most of the HS games now....

As for the state games, NRG made good money on that deal...they knew they had the UIL by the throat because of the NFL screw-up and they charged the UIL for it..but the UIL didnt forget about that either....

Attendance at those games was low partly because the DFW teams that played didnt bring good crowds, but in DFW the neutral locals also show up in huge numbers.....neutral locals didnt show up in NRG at all...Katy people showed up...for the Katy game, but that was it..hell more North Shore people have come to Dallas three years than went to NRG that year ,lol 

7 hours ago, Matthew328 said:

As for the state games, NRG made good money on that deal...they knew they had the UIL by the throat because of the NFL screw-up and they charged the UIL for it..but the UIL didnt forget about that either....

Thats right. NRG had a "one and done" opportunity to cash in from the UIL that year, and they took advantage of it. I think NRG correctly surmised they would not have a realistic chance at getting the State games rotated around to them in the future regardless how well they accommodated the UIL, so they were not concerned about whatever opinion the UIL would have of them going forward from that point. The UIL is all in with AT&T and NRG knew it.  

2 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

Thats right. NRG had a "one and done" opportunity to cash in from the UIL that year, and they took advantage of it. I think NRG correctly surmised they would not have a realistic chance at getting the State games rotated around to them in the future regardless how well they accommodated the UIL, so they were not concerned about whatever opinion the UIL would have of them going forward from that point. The UIL is all in with AT&T and NRG knew it.  

I think you are right in that regard, it was doubtful NRG would ever get the games back because if its location so they had the UIL over a barrel...

19 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

I know the McNair’s don’t own the stadium, very few pro sports franchise owners do own their stadiums/arenas. They lease them from the city/county but Bud Adams moved the Oilers because the city wouldn’t build him a new stadium. He was also a huge proponent of football at every level. That’s why we would play 1st round games all the way through the state championships. What I’m saying is that if Cal wanted games at NRG they would be playing games at NRG. You can read their lease agreement below and see how much stroke he has over the decision making. Cal and his dad have always been more skewed to the business side of things though. 

This is the hidden content, please

19 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

Yes I was at almost every game you mentioned, and more. I am well aware more games were played there after 16. I think the decision came gradually. The State games were not the sole deciding factor. You are correct, it was not decided to shut them down right afterwards.

We packed our side for both games. The final in 15, and the semi in 16. Loved being able to hop over to the H.

Seems like Covid in 2020, then games never returned. Texans included. Since not allowing fans at the opening games in 2020, the texans are 4-13 at home. Before that... 77-67

1 hour ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

I think @BMTSoulja1 should post his thoughts as a senior member of the site. 

sup Soulja? Thoughts? 

Just copying and pasting what I sent you a couple of weeks back.  

Aug. 26 - at Port Neches-Groves, 7:00pm (L)
Sept. 2 - Nederland, 7:00pm (L)
Sept. 9 - OPEN
Sept. 16 - New Caney Porter*, 7:00p. (L)
Start off 0-3, you’re ready to run Captain Morgan off at this point. 
Sept. 22 - at Baytown Sterling*, 7:00pm (W)
Sept. 30 - Crosby*, 7:00pm (L)

Oct. 7 - at La Porte*, 7:00pm (W)
Oct. 14 - Goose Creek Memorial*, 7:00pm. (L)
You’re on suicide watch at this point
Oct. 21 - at Baytown Lee*, 7:00pm (W)
Oct. 28 - Barbers Hill*, 7:00pm (L)
Is it Graham Cracker’s fault?  🤷🏾‍♂️
Nov. 3 - at Humble Kingwood Park*, 7:00 (L)
Missed playoffs.  You’ll cry in the car.

AND y’all will get ran off the field and embarrassed vs West Brook in the scrimmage…

While we are on the subject of stadiums. I would at least like to see one game at UT’s upgraded stadium. CHS played at one playoff worthy venue (FCU) in two years. It’s nice to get the W wherever but its even nicer to see the replays on the jumbotron. 

1 minute ago, MrFleet23 said:

While we are on the subject of stadiums. I would at least like to see one game at UT’s upgraded stadium. CHS played at one playoff worthy venue (FCU) in two years. It’s nice to get the W wherever but its even nicer to see the replays on the jumbotron. 

Wait a few weeks. 😁