5AD1 District 8 and Region 2 discussion.

Cougtalk

3 hours ago, kingwolf1 said:

Yep...I wouldn't worry about Longview...not much talent and they are pretty slow...Crosby should have no problem in R2 

Y’all have a lot of talent. Way more than Crosby and should walk through the region. The last thing we are down here is worried though.  I mean, y’all already finished second to us once: 

This is the hidden content, please

6 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Y’all have a lot of talent. Way more than Crosby and should walk through the region. The last thing we are down here is worried though.  I mean, y’all already finished second to us once: 

That was a fantastic race.  Sure Longview has some talent...everyone else does as well.  We are a mid level program, not a real threat, so you don't have anything to worry about.  I mean, its not like we are Carthage or Liberty Hill.

As far as R2 goes, if anyone thinks they are going to walk through this region, they will be in for a rude awakening.  There is more consistent talent in this region than not.  Lots of athletic teams with good size.  Going to be fun.  Good luck to you guys.

1 hour ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Yeah don’t worry guys Longview, Tyler (John Tyler), and lancaster aren’t really good this year no worries..

Longview is really the only team on there to worry about. JT is 3-8, 2-7 and 6-5 the last three years, that’s not going to move the needle down here. Great talent out there but of Holmes was really that type of coach he would create more consistent results. Lol, they lost their first round game by 40 last year. 

Lancaster lost by the same 20 points to Longview to end their season as the did to PA Memorial to start the season last year. Beating up on a bunch of trash in between isn’t that impressive. 

4 minutes ago, kingwolf1 said:

That was a fantastic race.  Sure Longview has some talent...everyone else does as well.  We are a mid level program, not a real threat, so you don't have anything to worry about.  I mean, its not like we are Carthage or Liberty Hill.

As far as R2 goes, if anyone thinks they are going to walk through this region, they will be in for a rude awakening.  There is more consistent talent in this region than not.  Lots of athletic teams with good size.  Going to be fun.  Good luck to you guys.

There you go, Longview has a lot better players than Carthage or Liberty Hill so they should absolutely kill is, no questions asked. Good luck to you guys too. 

On 2/3/2022 at 9:33 AM, Cougtalk said:

Region II is sooooooo much easier than Region III we dodge Manvel, College Station, Buda Hays, Georgetown, Angleton, Friendswood, and A&M Consolidated. 

We have the Frisco Lonestar, Mansfield Timber view, Lufkin, and Lancaster

I really don't know whos good in region II. 

Region III District 10, 11, & 12 are super stacked. I see 1-2 if not 3 teams from each of the above districts sitting at home during the playoffs that probably would still be playing if they were in a different district(s) from around the State! Especially the four from Region IV!  Region III will be a nasty gauntlet to get through. D10 has an advantage the first round but after that it will only get tougher for everyone!!

On 2/4/2022 at 10:58 PM, kenny powers said:

BHs schedule per maxpreps

image.thumb.png.680cc3e526e4bf914abde712d5e5cab9.png

Those are two solid non-district games for BH, especially the Magnolia West game in the trenches which is where you want to be tested early in the season. If BH is going to be good they should kill Montgomery though. They lost their stud back and the coach’s son at qb. That’s being said it feels like with Abseck’s connections they should be playing more marquee games than that? 

4 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Those are two solid non-district games for BH, especially the Magnolia West game in the trenches which is where you want to be tested early in the season. If BH is going to be good they should kill Montgomery though. They lost their stud back and the coach’s son at qb. That’s being said it feels like with Abseck’s connections they should be playing more marquee games than that? 

Our big question is at QB. The loss of him is going to sting. Hopefully someone steps up, I hear there’s a couple, but they young. Not sure on the backup from last year.

On 2/3/2022 at 9:26 PM, Cougar14.2 said:

Longview is really the only team on there to worry about. JT is 3-8, 2-7 and 6-5 the last three years, that’s not going to move the needle down here. Great talent out there but of Holmes was really that type of coach he would create more consistent results. Lol, they lost their first round game by 40 last year. 

Lancaster lost by the same 20 points to Longview to end their season as the did to PA Memorial to start the season last year. Beating up on a bunch of trash in between isn’t that impressive. 

Well if you understood stood what has been going on in TISD the last few years then you would know. But Tyler went through a tough transition with redrawing of the lines and Tyler lost a lot of players to the rival school. Last season tyler finally pull out of it and was actually 5-1 going into the HP but sadly lost their QB for the season who was a big part of the off-season which ultimately lead to the down fall of the rest of the season. But also Tyler was very young the last 2-3 years they were playing freshman and sophomores with a very bad QB during that 2-7 3-8 season. But if you think this Tyler team will be that. Well I’ll just let you find out for your self lol. The running back is slowing be rated as one of the top RB in the state if not the country. Derrick Mcfall is the name also montrell wade is is one the top receivers in the state also with a good amount of offers. Zach Williams a CB is coming on in the recruiting and is getting Power five offers. Also got a 6’5 transfer receiver from chapel hill who was one of the leading receiver for a team that was one game away from state. Couple that in with bringing back about 9 starters on offense and about 6-7 on defense most are 2-3 year starters. This team is more than capable of being on the top teams in the region. But carry on. Longview will probably run through this region since it’s a lot weaker. But you never know.

15 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Well if you understood stood what has been going on in TISD the last few years then you would know. But Tyler went through a tough transition with redrawing of the lines and Tyler lost a lot of players to the rival school. Last season tyler finally pull out of it and was actually 5-1 going into the HP but sadly lost their QB for the season who was a big part of the off-season which ultimately lead to the down fall of the rest of the season. But also Tyler was very young the last 2-3 years they were playing freshman and sophomores with a very bad QB during that 2-7 3-8 season. But if you think this Tyler team will be that. Well I’ll just let you find out for your self lol. The running back is slowing be rated as one of the top RB in the state if not the country. Derrick Mcfall is the name also montrell wade is is one the top receivers in the state also with a good amount of offers. Zach Williams a CB is coming on in the recruiting and is getting Power five offers. Also got a 6’5 transfer receiver from chapel hill who was one of the leading receiver for a team that was one game away from state. Couple that in with bringing back about 9 starters on offense and about 6-7 on defense most are 2-3 year starters. This team is more than capable of being on the top teams in the region. But carry on. Longview will probably run through this region since it’s a lot weaker. But you never know.

JT was 5-2 going into the Highland Park game. Started 0-2 against the better teams and then won the next 5 against teams that finished the season sub .500. They didn't beat a team with a winning record all season. McFall is a good young running back. I follow recruiting closely so I've been watching film of all the top '24 backs in the state. He was obviously the best option at qb when the starter went down and y'all still lost your last two games by a combined 91 points. 

I get the optimism and you may be correct but you said yourself y'all lost talent. I'm just pointing out that it looks like y'all did. I've been keeping up with Chappell Hill since our old coach took over a few years ago and two of my sons used to go to Sherman so I'm just familiar with the area results in general. Again, you may be correct and JT goes 16-0 but recent history says it's more likely that they'll be battling Forney or McKinney North to see who gets to make the long trip down to Crosby for their bi-district game.   

On 2/3/2022 at 5:19 PM, kingwolf1 said:

Yep...I wouldn't worry about Longview...not much talent and they are pretty slow...Crosby should have no problem in R2 

Longview is not any of those 4 teams I listed. No where did I say Longview isn't a good football team. They just aren't Aledo, Manvel, College Station or Denton Ryan and that's pretty obvious. 

58 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

Longview is not any of those 4 teams I listed. No where did I say Longview isn't a good football team. They just aren't Aledo, Manvel, College Station or Denton Ryan and that's pretty obvious. 

I think the only team of those 4 that is better than Longview is Denton Ryan. They have better personnel than Aledo and College Station and have better coaching than Manvel. They were one of the few smallest schools in 6A and still ran the table in 2018, not to mention played in the semis the year before. John King has been the coach at Longview for 18 years and only won less than 9 games once. That's a pretty salty run over a nearly two decade span. 

It was only a matter of time before we got shipped to Region-2. I thought it could happen in 2018 and 2020.

It seems very similar to Region-3 the last two realignments (2018 and 2020), it would behoove MHS to get a high seed going into the playoffs as usual, not that it mattered 3 out of the last 4 years though with 3 home playoff losses in close ballgames. 

On 2/3/2022 at 11:53 AM, Austin1985 said:

Travel is one reason.  Especially when Dist 11 makes more sense to be in region 4

D12 should actually be Region IV but the Coastal Bend ISD opted up all 5 of their D2 schools just so their one 5a D1 School CC Vets Memorial wouldn’t be put in the Valley or San Antonio by themselves along with the two Victoria schools. The current D12 teams are all around the San Antonio/North San Antonio area and should be Region 4.

D11 could be in Region II as they are further North “as the crow flys” but I-69 to 59 is probably much easier to navigate North than trying to get Northeast up 79 or North up I-35 then East on I-20.