2022 Season

NoNeckNic479

Burned Out, how? Start playing tournaments at 6 years old. At 7 play 4 weekends a month. at 8 start a throwing program with weighted balls at a local facility. play 7 days a week 365 days a year till 8th grade. then as a freshman they dont make varsity so mom and dad go ballistic cause little johnny has been taking pitching lessons since he was 4 and is a D1 candidate since he was 8. Now being completely focused to make varsity you increase the throwing program to 2 times a day. Then OMG an arm injury and now Tommy John surgery. 

I love this post. If mom and Dad would do a little homework and try to find out what it takes to be a D1 prospect they would soon see it is all about Velocity. There are crooks behind every pitchers mound that will tell the kids if they just have command they can play college ball and when their senior season comes around and they are below 85 and no one is looking at them  all the time and money are down the drain. So more than likely reality has set in and that is the reason they are not playing. If you are a D1 prospect you will start as a freshman.

18 hours ago, longball24 said:

I love this post. If mom and Dad would do a little homework and try to find out what it takes to be a D1 prospect they would soon see it is all about Velocity. There are crooks behind every pitchers mound that will tell the kids if they just have command they can play college ball and when their senior season comes around and they are below 85 and no one is looking at them  all the time and money are down the drain. So more than likely reality has set in and that is the reason they are not playing. If you are a D1 prospect you will start as a freshman.

Yup can’t teach a live arm

On 1/28/2022 at 8:09 PM, longball24 said:

Agreed up till last line.. I can name PLENTY of local D1 players that did not play Varsity their freshman and some not until their Jr.  year.. heck I can name some local talent that played PROFESSIONALLY in the Majors that did not make Varsity till their JR year in the 4A level.. 

Guest mrtomcat
On 1/29/2022 at 9:15 PM, hitman009 said:

Agreed up till last line.. I can name PLENTY of local D1 players that did not play Varsity their freshman and some not until their Jr.  year.. heck I can name some local talent that played PROFESSIONALLY in the Majors that did not make Varsity till their JR year in the 4A level.. 

i'd tap the breaks on several.  there may be an example here and there, but the vast majority of kids in our area that are going to excel at the collegiate level are ready for varsity in 9th grade absolutely. 

8 hours ago, mrtomcat said:

i'd tap the breaks on several.  there may be an example here and there, but the vast majority of kids in our area that are going to excel at the collegiate level are ready for varsity in 9th grade absolutely. 

Head on over to Barbers Hill some time. You aren’t sniffing varsity as a Freshman, a few exceptions. Remember, there’s late bloomers. Usually, Junior year at BH, had a recent class with 4 Sophomores make varsity, but that’s the exception.

Guest mrtomcat
9 hours ago, TradenupBH said:

Head on over to Barbers Hill some time. You aren’t sniffing varsity as a Freshman, a few exceptions. Remember, there’s late bloomers. Usually, Junior year at BH, had a recent class with 4 Sophomores make varsity, but that’s the exception.

you have two freshman this year that will play college ball and get a lot of playing time at barbers hill and i know this because i know both of their dads

20 hours ago, mrtomcat said:

I totally disagree. there is not just a example here and there. In fact, I would say the opposite and easily back it up with facts... there are more people who played college ball that were 1st year varsity high school starters as a Sophomore or JR. 

Just at PNG alone, out of all the players that played at the next level over the past 8 years, (which is quite a bit) I can think of only 2-3 that were starters as freshman. In fact 2-3 of the guys that went to next level were 1st year starters as a SR!

Ben Broussard played like 7-8 years in the majors and did not make the varsity high school staring lineup till he was a JR. and that was on a crappy HJ team. 

Had a relative that was drafted and played 9 years pro ball that did not even make his high school local team till he was a JR... he was cut his Freshman and Sophomore year. Did not play varsity till he was a SR. 

Jay Bruce (someone correct me if I'm wrong.. could be mistaken) did not start on varsity his Freshman year..

the last 9 kids I sent to play college ball were not Varsity starters their freshman year.. most not their Soph year either.

Reason: body development. most Freshman do not have the body development to compete at a Varsity level.  

Guest mrtomcat
17 minutes ago, hitman009 said:

I totally disagree. there is not just a example here and there. In fact, I would say the opposite and easily back it up with facts... there are more people who played college ball that were 1st year varsity high school starters as a Sophomore or JR. 

Just at PNG alone, out of all the players that played at the next level over the past 8 years, (which is quite a bit) I can think of only 2-3 that were starters as freshman. In fact 2-3 of the guys that went to next level were 1st year starters as a SR!

Ben Broussard played like 7-8 years in the majors and did not make the varsity high school staring lineup till he was a JR. and that was on a crappy HJ team. 

Had a relative that was drafted and played 9 years pro ball that did not even make his high school local team till he was a JR... he was cut his Freshman and Sophomore year. Did not play varsity till he was a SR. 

Jay Bruce (someone correct me if I'm wrong.. could be mistaken) did not start on varsity his Freshman year..

the last 9 kids I sent to play college ball were not Varsity starters their freshman year.. most not their Soph year either.

Reason: body development. most Freshman do not have the body development to compete at a Varsity level.  

these are nice examples from 1987.   you have to understand whats going on in modern times.  and re-read my post, i didnt say it dont happen.  i know for a fact that in our area, those who are going to EXCEL at the college level are capable and most do START as freshmen or are atleast on the roster.

we're talking about the majority of kids.  yes, i know there are cases of late bloomers....happens all the time

Guest mrtomcat

for 90 % of the kids in our region, you have what it takes to play next level (and people, scounts, fans, parents, coaches) know who you are before you ever even get into HS ball.  remember, you arent recruited anymore from what you do in HS........those days are LONG GONE

12 hours ago, Baller said:

My cuz is a freshman who will start at WOS.. I'll let him know to go ahead and announce that he is ready for his commitment to A&M.

I know you’re joking….there’s a few freshman that will start and I feel sorry for them because they won’t get No jv experience.It may make them better in a few years,but it won’t be pretty this year!

1 hour ago, mrtomcat said:

for 90 % of the kids in our region, you have what it takes to play next level (and people, scounts, fans, parents, coaches) know who you are before you ever even get into HS ball.  remember, you arent recruited anymore from what you do in HS........those days are LONG GONE

these are nice examples from 1987.   you have to understand whats going on in modern times.  and re-read my post, i didnt say it dont happen.  i know for a fact that in our area, those who are going to EXCEL at the college level are capable and most do START as freshmen or are atleast on the roster.

we're talking about the majority of kids.  yes, i know there are cases of late bloomers....happens all the time

Again I totally disagree. There are not many who start their freshman year. Also just cause they dont start till Soph or JR. does not mean the will not EXCEL in college ball or vice versa. I have also seen some Freshman starters get passed up. Most of the examples I gave you are very recent.. I have coached high school ball for the last 15 years and see what is going on high school baseball teams. I have seen MANY JV players that had D1 offers and were committed before they even picked up a varsity ball. 

Now you are correct in another post... Recruitment has gone away from the High School level... In the past, usually if a College is "considering" offering they will reach out to the High School Coach. A trend that is going down unfortunately.. Recruitment is in Summer Ball. College Coaches, mostly assistants, do not make much money.. their money is made at prospect camps and also they don't have the time to see a player due to their team Fall Season.. they see talent and talent alone at these camps and predict what they think they will become by JR year in college.. some have bottom numbers (pitcher has to reach 88 or a player has to run a certain speed) . They do not see the mental side of the game which is why you see a lot more transfers and dropouts now of days IMO.  

Also those examples were not from the 80's.. Ben was in mid 90's.. my relative in mid 2000's along with Jay Bruce.

Has to broken down.... the ones that are ready to play varsity as a freshman and I use the wording "ready to play" loosely...will be lacking in some aspect of the game. Fielding will be fine and probably knowledge of the game will be fine but where most will be lacking will be in speed, power, and mental make-up (being able to deal with failure). Those hits from previous years of playing select will not find their way through the infield as often. They are not going to burn many people in the outfield or be constant gap hitters. Their not going to be able to steal as many bases or be able to get to as many balls as a fielder. And will they be able to deal with failure. Will they be able to accept with those hits being caught? Will they be able to deal with being caught stealing? Will they be able to deal with being benched cause their not producing.

All this is just my not worth 2 cents opinion.