Lamar basketball

MikelSR

1 hour ago, navydawg31 said:

Win the southland just to get to a play in game to play the number 1 overall seed. So go on and do the stanky leg and dance away. 

Yup. Southland gets disrespected every year on Selection Sunday. Honestly I think the Selection Committee would rather not have a Southland team in the tournament. 

Year Seed Round Opponent Result
This is the hidden content, please
#10 First Round
Second Round
#7 Detroit
#2 Michigan State
W 95–87
L 64–95
#10 First Round
Second Round
Sweet Sixteen
#7 Weber State
#2 Oregon State
#6 Clemson
W 87–86
W 81–77
L 66–74
#8 First Round
Second Round
#9 Missouri
#1 LSU
W 71–67
L 78–100
#11 First Round
Second Round
#6 Alabama
#3 Villanova
W 73–50
L 58–60
#16 First Round #1 Duke L 55–82
#16 First Four #16 Vermont L 59–71

15 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Well back to Southland immediately. The path to the dance will definitely be easier. 

Schools have to do what they think is best for the school. Always gonna be debates. Not sure why they waited so late to announce… I still think Lamar could complete in the WAC. Last season COVID and injuries decimated the basketball season 

12 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Yup. Southland gets disrespected every year on Selection Sunday. Honestly I think the Selection Committee would rather not have a Southland team in the tournament. 

I wouldn’t be surprised with these new super conferences about to happen any day now smaller conferences will be pushed out. They will 2 different tourneys or the NIT rules will change and that would be considered the small school tourney 

4 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised with these new super conferences about to happen any day now smaller conferences will be pushed out. They will 2 different tourneys or the NIT rules will change and that would be considered the small school tourney 

I'm a traditionalist, so a lot of this stuff goes against my sensibilities. Having said that, this idea would be better for LU than getting blown out by Duke in the first round once every few years. The NIT Tournament would be a lot more interesting if it was earmarked for smaller schools, but I wonder how it would affect a tiny school like Gonzaga. 

6 hours ago, no-look said:

Schools have to do what they think is best for the school. Always gonna be debates. Not sure why they waited so late to announce… I still think Lamar could complete in the WAC. Last season COVID and injuries decimated the basketball season 

My understanding is it came down to money.  Apparently what was promised and what was delivered (or not delivered) were two separate things. My sources say there are other schools that may be following suit (as in jumping ship, maybe not to the Southland) soon.  This apparently also played a part in NMSU and Sam leaving as well, both leaving their biggest rivals (Grand Canyon and SFA, respectively) in the process. 

36 minutes ago, Bulldogs92 said:

I'm a traditionalist, so a lot of this stuff goes against my sensibilities. Having said that, this idea would be better for LU than getting blown out by Duke in the first round once every few years. The NIT Tournament would be a lot more interesting if it was earmarked for smaller schools, but I wonder how it would affect a tiny school like Gonzaga. 

Gonzaga is now a blue blood.  If college sports goes all megaconferences, they will be included for basketball purposes, much like a UConn or Villanova.  

53 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Gonzaga is now a blue blood.  If college sports goes all megaconferences, they will be included for basketball purposes, much like a UConn or Villanova.  

They would probably try to take St. Mary's with them. They have been one of the best mid-majors in the country for a long time. 

3 hours ago, Bulldogs92 said:

I just read a article where Gonzaga could be in the big 12 for basketball only member…  but I get your point on where they will end up. Lot of these smaller schools can compete with the big boys. 

6 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

I just read a article where Gonzaga could be in the big 12 for basketball only member…  but I get your point on where they will end up. Lot of these smaller schools can compete with the big boys. 

I'm hoping we'll see LU at a level that they could knock off some of the bigger schools at some point...or at least be able to contend for SLC titles every year.

13 minutes ago, Bulldogs92 said:

I'm hoping we'll see LU at a level that they could knock off some of the bigger schools at some point...or at least be able to contend for SLC titles every year.

I’m fine with SLC titles and holding their own against the big schools. Would love to see the big schools come back to Beaumont and play a game under a packed arena. The Texas, A&M, LSU, UofH, Tech, Baylor of the worlds… 

1 minute ago, navydawg31 said:

I’m fine with SLC titles and holding their own against the big schools. Would love to see the big schools come back to Beaumont and play a game under a packed arena. The Texas, A&M, LSU, UofH, Tech, Baylor of the worlds… 

Yes!!!